RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
post-5977-1295829410_thumb.jpg

We were starting to think that with that much hops that they had swelled up and filled the whole kettle...these things were not sinking at all, as if they had no room to go.

We split that batch and are using two different yeasts. I'm using 1187 and Smurto is using 1272. We will be having a taste test in a few weeks, hopefully there is enough left to bring along to one of the ABC beer presentation nights.

Cheers
Phil

Feels good chucking that amount of hops into the kettle doesn't it?
Oh yeah.

If this is tasty enough, but not too much, I'll double it for another batch. A pound of pellets should make for some interesting trub.

The 400 grams of hops going in in the last 10 mins of the boil. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the aroma from those hops hitting the boiling wort would have been awesome.

:beer: :super:

So, who's the dude in the black polo, and who's the dude in the blue polo?

Nice one Phil. Cool video's. Thats a significant amount of hops!
Interested in the results between the 2 different yeasts. Post back with results if you get a chance.

Cheers

Wow, the aroma from those hops hitting the boiling wort would have been awesome.

:beer: :super:

So, who's the dude in the black polo, and who's the dude in the blue polo?
Phil in the black, Smurto in the blue.
Good vids guys.
Nige

<tastes 10min rye-pa from fermenter... seems done; 1.065-1.017 = nice> OMG! Best beer I've made in a while... maybe ever. Tastes like hops. :icon_drool2:

<eats lunch> OMGWTF! Are there hops in my lunch?

<drinks water> OMGWFTBBQ! Are there hops in the water supply?

Kegging this soon then I'll CPBF off a bottle to take to the AWBCA meeting tonight - anyone coming along is welcome to a taste. Bring your tongue-scraper. Damn that's tasty.

<uses 300ml to make 10-min-rye-IPA-pull-apart-bread> Well, the bread might have tasted like hops anyway.

<tastes 10min rye-pa from fermenter... seems done; 1.065-1.017 = nice> OMG! Best beer I've made in a while... maybe ever. Tastes like hops. :icon_drool2:

<eats lunch> OMGWTF! Are there hops in my lunch?

<drinks water> OMGWFTBBQ! Are there hops in the water supply?

Kegging this soon then I'll CPBF off a bottle to take to the AWBCA meeting tonight - anyone coming along is welcome to a taste. Bring your tongue-scraper. Damn that's tasty.

<uses 300ml to make 10-min-rye-IPA-pull-apart-bread> Well, the bread might have tasted like hops anyway.

Glad it worked out for you. I seriously have to get my arse into gear and brew one of these again. I've had a kilo of rye sitting around doing nothing for some time...will have to give it a go.

Just kegged an Amarillo 10 min IPA this morning. OG and FG were a little out, but it still comes in at 5.2% and 60 IBU.

Should be a ripper when it matures a bit. :beerbang:

We were starting to think that with that much hops that they had swelled up and filled the whole kettle...these things were not sinking at all, as if they had no room to go.

We split that batch and are using two different yeasts. I'm using 1187 and Smurto is using 1272. We will be having a taste test in a few weeks, hopefully there is enough left to bring along to one of the ABC beer presentation nights.

Cheers
Phil

Tasted my this morning. Down to 1.018 and the bitterness is quite high but wow, the hops are punchy. Enough malt to hold it all together.

Can't wait to get this on tap. :beerbang:

Just finished up a brewday from hell. Mashtun not co-operating, dropping first runnings here and there, making a huge mess. Nearly packed it in and threw the whole kettle on the lawn. After dicking around with the mash tun twice (read emptying into another container and fixing the false bottom...twice :angry: ) losing my mashout temp (from 77 down to 71) having to use my 1st sparge water to bring it back up to a reasonable temp...sparged as much as I could and got god knows how much into the kettle...@ 1.040. That is when I thought I should throw this whole batch on the lawn.....1.040 pre-boil gravity :blink: ??? Had planned on getting 1.063 in a 21 litre batch. Started the boil and just kept on boiling until I got to a reasonable gravity before chucking in 155 grams worth of Centennial...

Chilled
21 Litres
62% Efficiency
59.4 IBU...

Not so bad after all. 1.060 and 60 IBU is bang on for a 10 min IPA...So glad I didn't pack it in...all thanks to my GF for getting me to hang in there and just continue brewing.

Just kegged an Amarillo 10 min IPA this morning. OG and FG were a little out, but it still comes in at 5.2% and 60 IBU.

Should be a ripper when it matures a bit. :beerbang:

Tasted, even though still new, very punchy. It is certainly in your face. :beerbang:

Well after sitting here last night thinking about how I really want to do this and thinking about how many brews away it will be...the beer gods have blessed me with what would appear to be an over the top efficency from predicted 60% to nearly 80% thus mid-boil a huge change and scab through the freezer for some hops.

Thinking 70% citra 30% cascade as ive got to clear some out. Should be fruity as :)

The 400 grams of hops going in in the last 10 mins of the boil. Enjoy.

Nice Japanese safety boots for a kettle boil over...esp with that amount of hops hitting the boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after undershooting on gravity buy a few points it went into the fermenter smelling lovely. Ended up with OG 1.055 and around 55 IBU which isn't too bad for a first attempt and only my 3rd or 4th AG (Didn't boil off enough so lost a few gravity points I think). The aroma from the hops is definitely intense and cant say many of my beers have tasted bitter from the sample before fermentation so will have to wait and see.

Just took a hydro sample and its dropped down to around 1014-1015 but omg the smell is amazing. Definitely the most aromatic hydro sample ive taken. Cant wait for this to be ready and try.

Already preparing for another version of this with a few other types of hops

So a number of use tried two versions of this last night at Hatchy's - both with home grown Chinook, just using different yeasts.

Both very tasty, 1272 version was more one dimensional, but the 1187 had a plethora of flavours and well rounded on the palette.

I think I might have to add this brew to my 'to brew' list.

My rating now added accordingly to the recipe too.

Nice one Phil. Cool video's. Thats a significant amount of hops!
Interested in the results between the 2 different yeasts. Post back with results if you get a chance.

Cheers

Basically the difference that I found was that the 1272 was more neutral and attenuated that little bit more than the 1187, which IMO made the beer more drinkable and balanced. However, the 1187 had a lot more yeast character which added that extra dimension. 1187 is my yeast of choice for the 10 min IPAs, not only for the esters that it produces, but because it simply doesn't attenuate as much as 1056, 1450 and 1272, leaving a bit more body, which I find allows me to add more hops at 10 mins, achieving greater hop aroma.

But the interesting this is, 3 of those that tasted this beer found the 1187 version to be more bitter than the 1272. The numbers will show that the 1272 version should be more bitter, so it is interesting. Also, the 1187 version did seem to be more resiny and IMO a bit more grassy...maybe some palettes pick up the resin as bitterness, who knows, but I like getting different brewers feedback on beers, as some people pick up different things than others, one of the reasons I love beer presentations.

Im putting in a 10 min IPA in the up coming case swap. 95/5 Pale/dark crystal. 8g/l of centennial at 10 mins, 1.060 and 60 IBU. 1187.

Don't think I will be the only one putting in a 10 min IPA in this swap with Boston and QB also putting in versions of the 10 min IPA.

Cheers
Phil

Don't think I will be the only one putting in a 10 min IPA in this swap with Boston and QB also putting in versions of the 10 min IPA.
Yeah... I'm drinking that 10-min rye-IPA.

Putting an Irish-ish Red in instead (all going well).

Back