RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the exact same thing!
im looking at doing a 10 min IPA in the near future and if i can reduce the boil time by 50 mins that would be sweet! :D

If doing all grain I would thoroughly recommend NOT doing a 10 min boil, rather at least a 60 minute boil. Not only will your efficiency suffer, but your beer will not taste as nice. I have ran out of gas 25 mins into the boil once...was too pissed to drive, so it all went into the cube. The aroma on the beer was awesome, but the flavour was weird...

Cheers
Phil

I was thinking the exact same thing!
im looking at doing a 10 min IPA in the near future and if i can reduce the boil time by 50 mins that would be sweet! :D

From what I have seen so far, once the wort is up to 'boiling' because that is when I start the countdown (not before), it takes longer than 10 minutes for hot break to get itself all sorted.
FWH tend to get all mushed up onto the sides of the boiler from the foaming activity during the hot break. You then have to scrape the hops and break material back into the brew.
If you whacked in a whole bunch of hops in straight after it started boiling, it is possible that by the end of the ten minutes that they are all plastered around the top rim of the boiler.
No it is probably better to let it all settle down before adding the bulk of your hops (as generally 60 min additions are not a large amount) by boiling for 50mins and then bombing it with hops.
Just my 2c.

Is anyone dry hopping these? Or do you find that it doesn't need it?

I've got one on tap at the moment. Even though I didn't dry-hop, I can smell hops as I'm pouring it. Leaving the glass on the drip tray for a minute and standing half a metre back from the glass, I can still smell hops. So, I'm happy enough without the dry-hop but in saying that, I don't think it would have hurt the beer either.

Roger. I'm going to do a Falconers Flight version, and I used 60g of it to dry hop a Rye-PA I have fermenting at the moment. So essentially the 300g I have left over will all be going in at 10 minutes. ;)

If you are going any less than 8 grams per litre of a given hop for a 10 min IPA (because of high alpha acid, e.g. Pacific Gem, Chinook or Galaxy) then I would definitely consider dry hopping....at no less than 2 grams per litre.

Sorry for the OT but there are so many reasons for a 60 minute minimum boil that I think anyone wanting to do a total 10 minute boil is asking for trouble. By all means try it and report back but SMM is not absent from ale malt. There are volatiles apart from SMM that are worth removing too as far as I'm aware. Additionally, stability, colour, flavour etc are pretty important things in beer. Good things take time. Why do people always want to rush things? Can I cook a rabbit in 10 mins or should I do it for 6 hours?

To be a bit on topic - has anyone tried a 10 min UK style IPA? Might add one to my list.

Malted you made a very good point regarding the hot break...

I ended up doing the 60 min boil for it on Sunday anyway. my instincts took over my laziness.

10 mins sazz pils does sound interesting....I guess you could nearly do a 10 min anything?

Not sure if a 10min low AA% beer would work so well, using saaz as an example, you'd need like 300-400g of hops? might be too much vegetal matter there.

Not sure if a 10min low AA% beer would work so well, using saaz as an example, you'd need like 300-400g of hops? might be too much vegetal matter there.
I did one with cascade around 4.5% and used about 370g of hops. Turned out really well.

I agree. If you are worried about that, just do a 8-10 g/l 10 min addition and then do a 60 minute addition to get you to your target IBU. Will still be in the same spirit at the the original 10 min IPA.

What are yr plans for Sunday Phil? I'll be brewing this followed by another batch of stout if you want to drop round. I've probably got enough columbus & amarillo to brew 3 batches but I don't have the fermentation space so I'll no chill the stout on Sunday & brew the IPA's at a later date. Leave the car at home if you drop round.

I may or may not leave out the crystal, I'll see how I feel on the day.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 10 min
Brewer: Hatchy
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Batch Size: 35.00 L
Boil Size: 40.06 L
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 19.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 69.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.20 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.0 EBC)Grain 85.00 %
1.20 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (16.0 EBC) Grain 10.00 %
0.60 kg Crystal, Pale (Bairds) (100.0 EBC) Grain 5.00 %
270.00 gm Chinook [12.50 %] (10 min) Hops 69.9 IBU
3 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 30.00 L of water at 71.5 C 65.0 C

Sounds great mate...hopefully I have time spare to swing by...will ride my new bike.

Cheers

Who would've thought that so many hops would fit in a plate chiller? It was pretty late when I finished this on Sunday night so I left my cleanup until yesterday. I'm not sure why I keep thinking that's a good idea.

I ended up going with 80% bb ale & 20% munich II. For some reason I only. Got 1.054 into the fermenter so it looks like mine will be an overhopped 10 min pale ale rather than a 10 min IPA, seems like a good excuse to brew it again some time I reckon.

I did this with Saaz-D Riwaka and it's friggin amazing!! It actually smells like passionfruit and elderflower. Still waiting for it to condition a little but it tastes like the ultimate summer beer right now. Hops were expensive but so worth it.

I did this with Saaz-D Riwaka and it's friggin amazing!! It actually smells like passionfruit and elderflower. Still waiting for it to condition a little but it tastes like the ultimate summer beer right now. Hops were expensive but so worth it.

Glad it worked out well for you...I knew it would, I did guarantee it :icon_cheers:

Try and let it condition for a bit, however, I find that 10 min IPA are quite punchy when fresh and that's how I like to drink them.

Cheers

Glad it worked out well for you...I knew it would, I did guarantee it :icon_cheers:

Try and let it condition for a bit, however, I find that 10 min IPA are quite punchy when fresh and that's how I like to drink them.

Cheers
Yeah conditioned well and just one of the best beers iv'e ever had :icon_cheers: Apparently one of the best my old man had as well......he bloody finished it off while im away slaving for a dollar :angry: Oh well better make a double batch when I get home :kooi:

Back