RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this recipe as my first AG. Probably a bad choice on that front, with just pils and carapils with this hop bill, im not tasting a whole lot of grain. Great concept though.

It is 'hoppier' than any other beer I've had, to be honest. It presents the best parts of hop flavour in such a full, lush way. Much more so than through dry hopping. I did mine with 80g simcoe, 40g nelson sauvin, 40g ahtanum. This recipe wont come close to the flavour of any commercial IPA, but it is certainly a very interesting and enjoyable beer for any hop head. Raw hop brutality.

Should be noted, that I adjusted my cube hop additions to be 15 minutes additions and it is considerably less bitter than I would have though from the IBU's I got. I think with this kind of recipe, cube hop additions should be calculated at 10 minutes, at most.

Did this recipe as my first AG. Probably a bad choice on that front, with just pils and carapils with this hop bill, im not tasting a whole lot of grain. Great concept though.

It is 'hoppier' than any other beer I've had, to be honest. It presents the best parts of hop flavour in such a full, lush way. Much more so than through dry hopping. I did mine with 80g simcoe, 40g nelson sauvin, 40g ahtanum. This recipe wont come close to the flavour of any commercial IPA, but it is certainly a very interesting and enjoyable beer for any hop head. Raw hop brutality.

Should be noted, that I adjusted my cube hop additions to be 15 minutes additions and it is considerably less bitter than I would have though from the IBU's I got. I think with this kind of recipe, cube hop additions should be calculated at 10 minutes, at most.
The original recipe he uses Marris otter,carapils and Amarillo. I loved this pilsner version but im just going to try Marris otter floor malted with Amarillo to taste the difference. Ultimate summer drinkin gold i reckon :beerbang:

I'm reading the database and it's just saying pils and carapils. Either way, good beer.

To be fair, I don't think anyone would blame me for thinking that the recipe in the recipeDB which this whole thread is constructed upon was the original recipe.....

The website is at the bottom of the "brewers notes" if you couldn't find it.
:icon_cheers:

Duly noted. I was making Phillip's 10 minute IPA, not Homebrew Chef's Amarillo Pale Ale though. I might try it with that beefed up grain bill next time, though.

edit: I think all this confusion comes from misunderstanding who 'he' means. I meant Phillip, and I think you meant Homebrew Chef.

Good on ya for giving the 10 min IPA a go. As you stated, probably not the best choice for a first brew, but I'm glad you enjoyed it all the same. Try the 10 min IPA again once you have some more brews under your belt (as well as a chiller) and I think you will find that a fresh 10 min IPA is just as good and some instances better than commercial IPAs. Remembering that the amount of hops put in has been said by a few micros as not commercially viable.

The recipe allows the hops to take centre stage, with the malt there basically to balance out the hops. If you are wanting a bit more complexity then of course play around with the grain bill as others have before...just keep it as one 10 min addition of hops to keep the spirit of the recipe alive :)

Also as a rule of thumb try and squeeze in 8 g/l at 10 mins. That seems to be a good amount to achieve that in your face hop aroma as well as the insane hope flavor.

Cheers.

.... I think you will find that a fresh 10 min IPA is just as good and some instances better than commercial IPAs. Remembering that the amount of hops put in has been said by a few micros as not commercially viable.

Cheers.

This is the simple reality of it (and soemthing I discovered when I ran out of home brew and had to find an APA/IPA in the shops that would cover).

We as homebrewers can do this - simply because we aren't commercial. We aren't making money, heck, we aren't even always trying to save it. We have no accountants (maybe the minister of war & finance, though) telling us to make it for x amount per L. We don't pay excise and we don't compete with the big commercial boys.

This sort of beer, is really only possible in a home brewers environment.

Unfortunately for me, I ruined my palate as a result.

Goomba

......... I think you will find that a fresh 10 min IPA is just as good and some instances better than commercial IPAs. Remembering that the amount of hops put in has been said by a few micros as not commercially viable.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I'm not saying the beer is WORSE than any commercial IPA persay, just that this level of hop flavour is rarely found in commercial IPAs. If you like hops as much as I do, you might even prefer it to many commercial IPAs. As Raja pointed out, commercial breweries just can't afford to scale up recipes like this. It's ludicrous.

An update. The yeast has dropped from this beer to an acceptable level, and it's tasting very clean. Thought I should chime in for those cubing their beers in a no chill process.

I put my cube in to a room at about 18-20 degrees. The bitterness I got was certainly very mild compared to the potential 20-minute equivalent addition no chill is often reported to be. Definitely finishes bitter rather than sweet, but I would doubt that this is over 60 IBU, perhaps not even over 50. I added an 8g addition of simcoe at 60m to encourage break in the boil. That plus the 150g of hops I added as cube hops contributes 56 IBU in brewmate. I reckon that is on the sweeter side of correct.

If I did this again, I'd add some crystal, or sub some of the pils for munich, vienna or victory to give a bit more complexity to the malt. I'd also up the hops. Not that the aroma or flavour is lacking (it's preposterously hoppy), but just to get some more bitterness. So in summary, definitely works with cube hopping, but don't be afraid to really go hard with it - calculate it as a 10 minute addition and shoot for at least 60 IBU. I'll be going for 70 next time and a little more malt.

Simcoe and Sauvin work really well in this beer btw, with a 2-1 ratio of simcoe to sauvin. The ahtanum I used has been totally lost, I reckon.

I'm still trying to find my feet no-chill-hop-compensation-wise... and am definitely planning one of these uber-hop deals in my next 2 or 3 AGs.... and I've read back through a bunch of pages, and can't seem to find any solid recommendation for no-chilling this beast.

I put my cube in to a room at about 18-20 degrees.
I was with you until this bit - It sounded like you were about to explain exactly what you did re: nochilling.... but I just don't get it.

Your description of how it turned out was great - but I can't find "how" you went about emulating the 10min addition while no chilling... help?

Actually, I think maybe I get it now: you said you "cube hopped" in an earlier post.

Am I right in guessing that this meant you transferred hot wort to a cube, then threw in 200g-ish hops?

Once it's cool, do you attempt to filter out the hop material while transferring to the fermenter? Or just deal with the extra trub?

Pyro, i no chill, and have done ( and do ) 3 or 4 10 min APA and IPA's. I don't adjust bitterness at all for no chill. Just calc a 10 minute addition to the IBU's you want, ans whack them in at 10 minutes. Simple. If its too bitter, then worry about adjusting it.

I also never worry about the trub, just pour it all in, it will settle out.

I added an 8g addition of simcoe at 60m to encourage break in the boil.

This is slightly off topic, but just out of curiosity, is this required when boiling? At the start of the boil I have my 3 ring burner and immersion element working simultaneously to reach a really vigorous boil, where a huge amount of fluffly break material gets close to a boil over (even only having ~30L in a keggle), then turn the element and the outer ring on the burner off to keep it at a rolling boil for the rest of the time.

Are these hops at the start required or is it possible to encourage the break just by heating it sufficiently?

Cheers,

Sponge

Edit: Similar to Mark, I often just add in a single 10min addition and change the weight of hops accordingly depending upon the required bitterness for the beer

Sponge - I just read somewhere that it helped something or other.... I am no fountain of knowledge - it was my first AG and I wanted to do everything I could to make sure I was following roughly good practices.

Pyrosx - Yes, I was calculating cube additions at 10 minute additions based on what Bum had posted earlier in this thread (I think). I reckon that is on the safe side - it's not overly bitter. I didn't filter out anything when pouring to the fermener. It would clog up any strainer I had. I just relied on cold crashing to get the majority of debris out of the beer. In future I will be filtering post fermentation as I can't be bothered waiting for beers to have the yeast drop fully, and I don't like the taste of trub (especially hoppy trub) in my beers.

Sponge, you don't need any hops in early mate. The vigorous boil at the start will help with break.

I can vouch for the awesome effect one massive hop addition at 10min.
A few months back, I brewed one of these with Galaxy, then dry hopped at 2g/L, and it was unreal, so much flavour and aroma.

I'm going to have a go at making a 10min Citra APA to have ready for Christmas.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 45.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 kg Pale Malt (6 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 84.66 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 10.58 %
0.45 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
50.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
140.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (10 min) Hops 33.7 IBU

Hopefully it turns out just as incredible.

Mitch :D

I would aim for 40 ibu in an APA to ensure a nice bitterness. Also a touch of crystal in replacement of the carapils will have a recipe almost identical to my entry into the WA state comps which placed first.

Looking forward to making my next 10 min something, im def hooked.

Back