Recipe Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
Hi!

So I'm gearing up for brew number 3 and an excuse to give my newly acquired 30L birko a run (Thanks sinkas :D). What I've been doing so far is single hop ales to try and get a feel for them. First up was an Amarillo ale which was pretty awesome and I'm about to bottle a similar one with cascade, that so far smells/tastes a lot more subtle than the Amarillo. For number 3, I'd like to tackle Nelson Sauvin, and at the same time I'd like to up the malt content to get a "fuller" beer. I did a bit of reading about NS, and I've opted for a hop boil that I've used for my other 2:

2.5kg dry amber malt
500g Coopers BE2 (Have it left over)
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 60mins
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 20mins
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 5mins
15g Nelson Sauvin @ dry hopped
Safale US-05

How does that sound??
2 other questions;
1. Will an amber malt (only used light before) do as I assume it will and give a "darker" beer?
2. I wouldn't mind giving a different yeast a go, but have NO idea about yeast. Should I stick with US-05 for now, or does anyone have other suggests for the above?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi NME

That looks like a pretty decent recipe to me. With US-05 you'd have a rather true-to-style American Amber and I'd probably stick with that. Amber DME will behave the same as Light DME but yes, the beer will turn out darker and a little 'maltier' tasting.

S-04 is another yeast you could try, or culturing up some yeast from a coopers bottle would be delicious, but if it were me for this recipe I'd stick with the US05...

+1 on the US-05 recommendation, nice clean ferment and let those lovely NS hops shine!

Cheers SJ

Looks pretty decent, although have not tried the Nelson Sauvin hops.

I would use the US05 yeast and with the amber malt will be darker but still fairly light.

Have a look at my spreadsheet Link in this forum

I agree that this looks like a good recipe to test out the NS on. US-05 is a very good dry yeast.

In future brews you may like to add some specialty grains for a nice flavour and colour / complexity.

That's gonna taste like peach flavoured beer! For me that's a good thing - but not for everyone.

No worries about brewing at high temps (20-25C) because any esters will fade into oblivion behind the N/S.

I would use the US05 yeast and with the amber malt will be darker but still fairly light.

Good. That's exactly what I'm after this time :D

Awesome calculator by the way!! One thing I can't work out though: I used the BrewCraft calculator which gave me an estimated OG of 1.064 (which I'll admit is a lot simpler!!) and yours gave me 1.086. Not sure if that's because of the Amber malt though??

Thanks all for the feedback!!

Oh yeah, specialty grains are also on the cards, but maybe in a brew or 2's time.
Baby steps :p

Good. That's exactly what I'm after this time :D

Awesome calculator by the way!! One thing I can't work out though: I used the BrewCraft calculator which gave me an estimated OG of 1.064 (which I'll admit is a lot simpler!!) and yours gave me 1.086. Not sure if that's because of the Amber malt though??

Thanks all for the feedback!!

Assuming BE2 is 50% light malt and 50% dex (not sure as I don't use it) Using the spreadsheet I get an OG of 1.049 in 23 litres. The Brewcraft calculator overestimates OG.

cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back