Recipe Db Quality Vs Experimental

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the recipe DB be for proven recipes

• Yes, Only good recipes need apply.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Recipes that have not been made before allowed.

• Available to both new and seasoned recipes (as long as they are under development).

• Just make up whatever and post it up (whats the harm).

• Total voters
tubecat.jpg
we can have it both ways

Finally! This thread taught me something useful!

Ive never posted a recipe in the data base because I feel its pointless, its just another recipe, so what. However if there was a request function, were by another member posted a request for a beer they thought would be worthy of a spot in the DB, and the site PMed you in regards to the request then the DB would have more meaning. Add to this a decent rating system and the DB would be worth sifting through. As it stands at the moment its just a dumping ground.

The site administrators might want to start taking some notice of what their members want or feel may be an improvement, as their beloved AHB is now the junkyard of all forums.

gregs.

I think the key here is, although classification system of
Awarded
Peer Reviewed
Tried & Trusted
Old Faithful
Experimental

would be great, we don't get any changes to this site due to the site owners being too busy elsewhere. It is their site and their choice.

That's why need need to try and implement something useful as users of this forum. As I mentioned earlier the majority of recipes a few years back were ones ppl had asked for and were then put into the DB for all to read. We have a forum to put up ideas to discuss and try and evolve them. If it becomes a 'stand out from the normal recipe' where people taste it and request it, then it gets added to the db.

As it stands today I know personally, although I still read through the recipeDB for ideas, I always end up google'ing it as there is soo much crap in the DB.

QldKev

Some brewers don't use software (I didn't for a year or so), but I feel that a good replacement for the current DB would be a software sub forum with threads where brewers can post recipes in BS, BeerMate etc in much the same was as "What are you brewing", and attach the appropriate file to their post so other brewers can open it up in the appropriate program and have a go instantly, if they are interested. For further info they can PM the brewer concerned.

Just had a look at the recipe database. Found it a bit strange that every recipe on the 1st page had 5 stars. Dont know what the default sort order was, but it wasnt sorted by star rating as the 2nd page was all over the place.

I agree with BribieG about downloadable beersmith (or other software) files. Would be very handy, but until the rating system is cleaned up, you cant trust the stars so you dont know what you are going to get.

Well thats started a bit of discussion

For the most i think a fair % of forum users are for the recipe db being used for recipes that have at least been tried and made with a good result for the brewer. It was never meant to be just for award winning recipes just GOOD recipes.

It would be good if we could have changeable category's from experimental to rippa. But thats up to the forum designer/owner.

There has been great discussion with the occasional attempt at a derail but for most i think valuable.

As for an outcome well thats up to those who control the forum.

Thanks everyone for a contribution and keep the ideas flowing. :icon_cheers:

Kleiny

why not think big. have an enormous database where everyone can upload ALL their recipes AND keep a log of the progress and others can leave comments - linked to all the relevant discussions in threads etc - and then those with more views, more posts, more comments can be viewed at the top. the good stuff will filter through.

fact is the recipe DB here is pretty limited in what it can display. and most of the recipes are pretty crap to say the least. if there was some use in it for the brewer as a record, it would have better recipes. the more open you make it the more useful it's going to be. the more you impose constraints (like only post a recipe if you've won comps with it) the less useful it's going to be.

the more open you make it the more useful it's going to be. the more you impose constraints (like only post a recipe if you've won comps with it) the less useful it's going to be.
Yep. And the point you've made twice about the discussion threads is key here - not that anyone seems remotely interested in seeing that.

Also, the rest of you need to have a think about how the site admin might go about just pulling new features out of their arses. You keep asking for all these things that aren't even possible to implement and them call them lazy or uncaring when they have to live in some real place instead of the fantasyland you inhabit.

Back