Recipe Db Quality Vs Experimental

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the recipe DB be for proven recipes

• Yes, Only good recipes need apply.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Recipes that have not been made before allowed.

• Available to both new and seasoned recipes (as long as they are under development).

• Just make up whatever and post it up (whats the harm).

• Total voters
There's a filter in the top right corner that allows you to select certain styles and also methods (all-grain, extract, K&K) :icon_cheers:

Dopey me! I've been looking in the recipeDB forum all this time! That's much easier.

I put the ones up there that I think others might like, because I liked them. I've had a few PMs regarding recipes and opintions on whether changes would work or not. I think the recipeDB isn't merely a place for award-winning beers, but nmore a place where you can share what you enjoyed.

I just put up a recipe that many people won't like, even though I thought it worth sharing. If you want me to delete it you can ram it up ya poopshoot. :p

EDIT: I see someone just gave it 1 star. :D :lol:

Just deleted 2 of my recipes. The remaining ones have been tested by fellow brews and or got a place at state or nationals.

Also I dont think you can rate your own recipe? If you can that needs to be changed.

Cheers

Just deleted 2 of my recipes. The remaining ones have been tested by fellow brews and or got a place at state or nationals.

Also I dont think you can rate your own recipe? If you can that needs to be changed.

Cheers
i just tried it on my one and only recipe and you can brad, its pretty effed up

cheers matho

+1 to no more +1'ing

ditto

Hmm, I should either update or cull one or two of mine. <_<

Edit: the recipe DB really needs an updated ingredients list!

I haven't voted because I'm not sure what number three means. What's the option for 'recipes the user has confidence in because they've actually brewed them and tasted them"?

I think alot more people voting and reviewing would be a massive benefit to the DB. You could implement a system to try and boost participation though, instead of relying on posters goodwill and discipline.

A system that comes to mind is something like the one newgrounds.com (a pop culture game/portal site) uses. What's good about the review system there is that the more you review, get involved and are rated by others the heavier your opinion ways against people who use the system less.

Another key point to it is that if someone gives an unfair or rubbish review, other members can rate the review itself negative and this will flag it as "useless." For e.g. Mr.DumbAss Brewer gets DrSmurto's Golden Ale recipe, makes it incorrectly, doesn't sanitise and ends up drinking terrible infected nearly-as-bad-as-VB sink fodder. Since it isn't his fault :rolleyes: he 0/5 stars the beer and gives it a crap review. Other members then flag this as useless, voids it and the recipes rating is restored to what it should be.

This system doesn't rely on moderators (excluding implementation) either, but more on upstanding members who earn a say by being rated positively by his peers.

Food for thought anyway.

--Wayne

Edit: coz mi spellung iz gud.

I agree, but unless you can work out some sort of review/moderation system, its not going to change.
How does one 'prove' that their recipe is good enough to be entered into the 'Elite Recipe DB'?
This is the inter-web and self-moderation is not something you should expect, no matter what rules, guidelines or suggestions are made, unless there is a strict moderation system/team in place, any-old-crap-recipe will continue to be entered.

I agree with Nick, just post up recipes that you've made before and you enjoyed. There doesn't have to be a medal criteria to make a beer enjoyable.

I agree with Nick, just post up recipes that you've made before and you enjoyed. There doesn't have to be a medal criteria to make a beer enjoyable.

Absolutely, but don't stick up recipes you haven't finished, tasted (and had others taste if applicable).

Anything I post is completed, tasted (and usually harshly critiqued by others).

Not medal stuff, necessarily, but at least made.

Goomba

I would like to see more voting and commenting,photos can be put in the discussion section as more people have a go at a particular recipe. I reckon there would be quite a big difference shown in a pic.
Daz

I've only posted 3 recipes.
The first 2 I was really happy with, and were endorsed by others (not necessarily AHB members).
The 3rd I put up on the prompting of a fellow AHB member after he had tasted a bottle of my brew.

I wouldn't put up untried recipes, as I don't consider that of any assistance to anyone researching a recipe for a planned brew. I look at the database, and discount any recipes which I cannot established as having been brewed and tested as sound.

This is a great topic, and one I have thought about starting myself. Too often I have seen recipes posted, and backtracking through the originating member's posts, notice that they have very little experience to start with. Worse still, some people formulate a recipe, think its great even before the wort has cooled, then decide to post it. For all we know, it could have been shithouse, even to the brewer's taste, a couple of months later when it was ready for drinking. Doubtful they would think to go back and delete it.

Some defined categories would be good, and a function where we could filter options. Nothing too complicated, maybe five in all.

Awarded - Any brew that has scored a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or HC in an officially, BJCP judged state or national comp. With a box for a blurb so the author can tell us where it placed, and in which comp. Not that anyone would flaunt the system, but it can always be verified at http://www.aabc.org.au/ records.

Peer Reviewed - Any brew that has been a part of the many case swaps, cube exchanges, christmas lotteries etc that has gone out to dozens of people, and gets a four-star or more peer rating from those who wish to vote. For this to work, there might need to be a voting system associated with future swap threads.

Tried & Trusted - Something like Smurto's GA that hundreds of people rave about, or even Neil's Centenarillo that has a big fan-base. It doesn't have to have won any awards, but repeated by many brewers. Maybe once a recipe hits 20 'five star' ratings, it can be moved into this category.

Old Faithful - Brews that Joe Bloggs has been brewing for years, might not have shared with other members, but experience tells him that it's a top drop.

Experimental - All the other crap that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Then a simple sorting system, where someone could go in and select options, not unlike the theory in Excel where you can sort by Column A, then by B, then by C. Let's Say "All Grain", then "Porter" then "Awarded".

Sound good ? Who's going to help develop it ? It's not within my expertise, but I would happily co-moderate any new submissions - which should probably be reviewed before they are made public, and the author contacted for more information if required.

I really hope this thread gets taken seriously by the administrators, because as Australia's premier brewer's forum, the recipe DB should really shine as a powerful tool.

Yea, sorry mate, I'm with Kev on this one.

For me, I haven't posted any recipes, because I haven't repeated many, even the ones that would fall into the "Awarded" category. The DB can still be filled with as much shit as you like, but the option to filter out categories is a must.

I like Silo's idea of using silo's ........ makes sense.
I make it a point to rate any brew I try from the database and generally also pm the OP.
Cheers
BBB

I think alot more people voting and reviewing would be a massive benefit to the DB. You could implement a system to try and boost participation though, instead of relying on posters goodwill and discipline.

A system that comes to mind is something like the one newgrounds.com (a pop culture game/portal site) uses. What's good about the review system there is that the more you review, get involved and are rated by others the heavier your opinion ways against people who use the system less.

Another key point to it is that if someone gives an unfair or rubbish review, other members can rate the review itself negative and this will flag it as "useless." For e.g. Mr.DumbAss Brewer gets DrSmurto's Golden Ale recipe, makes it incorrectly, doesn't sanitise and ends up drinking terrible infected nearly-as-bad-as-VB sink fodder. Since it isn't his fault :rolleyes: he 0/5 stars the beer and gives it a crap review. Other members then flag this as useless, voids it and the recipes rating is restored to what it should be.

This system doesn't rely on moderators (excluding implementation) either, but more on upstanding members who earn a say by being rated positively by his peers.

Food for thought anyway.

--Wayne

Edit: coz mi spellung iz gud.

I posted a recipe of mine that I think is my best effort at making something that both appeals to the Megaswill drinker, but shows them just what can be achieved with a higher mash temperature and better use of hops for more flavour and aroma.

And it already has been rated at 1 star. Poor form from a sad fucker who is wrecking a working system by using it to voice a petty grievance I fear.

I like Silo's idea of using silo's ........ makes sense.
I make it a point to rate any brew I try from the database and generally also pm the OP.
Cheers
BBB

What rating system do you use? I use
1. crap
2. boring
3. ok
4. not bad
5. award wining brew (even if has not won an award)

From what I gather some ppl think getting a rating is great, so a 1 is someone saying they like it.

QldKev

What rating system do you use? I use
1. crap
2. boring
3. ok
4. not bad
5. award wining brew (even if has not won an award)

From what I gather some ppl think getting a rating is great, so a 1 is someone saying they like it.

QldKev

Great example of a likert scale there Kev (1-5) - maybe the mods should explicitly state that on the rating box. I've only done winners so far so i've dished out 4's and 5's ....
Cheers
BBB

Dont use it simply for all the reasons others have posted... missing ingredients, ratings, no brewlog etc etc. What ever happened to the big overhaul the DB was going to get via the How to improve AHB thread? Hindsight it was a thread full of piss n wind.

Back