Recipe Swap & Appreciation Station

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you throw your recipe into the hat?

• No - get stuffed: my recipes are my own.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - sounds like fun!

• Yes - I'll make a recipe, but I don't have one to share

• Total voters
...as the brewers who have followed my tutorials found them useful (due to their size and their simplicity).

I've had many members PM me about my recipes, but very little feedback shows up on recipedb.

Personally, I'd love to swap recipes ... but only with those who've not got issues with technique.

As am I. Most people think I'm insane, given my technique. But it produces consistent beer. Even Nick thinks it's a joke that someone has stuck with the stovetop method (rather than see it as a teaching method of the basics of AG, and then moving on), leave alone the fact that I've changed it to what I want to produce.

Hell, I've even got another member who thinks that my method could be adapted further to Maxi-BIAB for a double batch!!!!!!

Sorry, OT.

Loving this debate, it's good, civilised and healthy.

Goomba

Personally, I think the recipe db is a place to put the recipes of beer you enjoy for other's to check out, discuss ... and brew if they so desire.

Having insane criteria for whether it can or can't be put up is completely fucked. Who made these rules? Some wanker.

If you don't like a recipe on the database, don't make it. Simple.

Even Nick thinks it's a joke that someone has stuck with the stovetop method...

I still use the method myself.

Anyway - let's get back on topic. I'm in for the recipe swap. I've got two books full of recipes over the years.

i love it when you read a recipe on the DB and go "fkyeah sounds ace! AND i've got all the ingedients, ima make that"

then you get to the brewers notes...

subbed 2 hop varieties coz they aren't in there, blah blah blah, french pressed & dry hopped the last 7 zero-minute additions - yawn whatever

maybe if the DB had it's shit together this type of thread wouldn't come up - but if a brew of the quarter came up that piqued my interest i'd be all in

i love it when you read a recipe on the DB and go "fkyeah sounds ace! AND i've got all the ingedients, ima make that"

then you get to the brewers notes...

subbed 2 hop varieties coz they aren't in there, blah blah blah, french pressed & dry hopped the last 7 zero-minute additions - yawn whatever
Or that it's never been brewed, turned out shit, or they were just testing the DB or seeing what happened when they typed stuff in.

It seems that a 'recipe of the month' that links back to the DB and encourages people to brew it and provide feedback is going to be one of the best and most workable solutions, because we're not going to get the admins or users to change how the recipe DB is used or the (lack of) feedback that is provided.

Some AHB members don't consider this relevant criteria to qualify as "tried and tested". I had every single one of my recipes that I'd refined over 12 months or more, many brewed 4 or more times with tweakage given a 1-star rating by a fat bogan with a pathetic attitude.

That was an internet spat with one member. I've had them too.

There are people who type in recipes not yet brewed and I think the db is not the place for that. I think anyone who brews something and tastes it themselves as well as hopefully getting someone else to taste it and who stands by their recipe as being worth posting, should post it.

To me - that is tried and true enough, fat bogans and internet shenanigans notwithstanding.

I had every single one of my recipes that I'd refined over 12 months or more, many brewed 4 or more times with tweakage given a 1-star rating by a fat bogan with a pathetic attitude.
I was real excited when I saw 1 star next to my avatar, then I realised it was probably a negative thing :(

It seems that a 'recipe of the month' that links back to the DB and encourages people to brew it and provide feedback is going to be one of the best and most workable solutions, because we're not going to get the admins or users to change how the recipe DB is used or the (lack of) feedback that is provided.

I think Wolfy's hit the nail on the head on how this might work. Now - how do we pick the recipes? Maybe people can upload them into the DB, then post in a thread. We'll assign numbers and pick the number out of the hat, then we all go make that person's recipe? Keeps it fair that way, and keeps the element of surprise for the punters making the recipe perhaps?

Any other suggestions?

Having a lotto type setup sounds good.

Is there any criteria for posting a recipe, or are you going to be screening the recipes before choosing which one to brew?

There are people who type in recipes not yet brewed and I think the db is not the place for that. I think anyone who brews something and tastes it themselves as well as hopefully getting someone else to taste it and who stands by their recipe as being worth posting, should post it.

Thats exactly why I said in the 'how would you fix AHB?' thread that the Recipe db should have a mandatory photos section. Wont stop your fat bogan 1 starring it, but at least u made it.

Seems logical enough to me. I wouldn't want to buy a recipe book of recipes the author had not yet made.

Thats exactly why I said in the 'how would you fix AHB?' thread that the Recipe db should have a mandatory photos section. Wont stop your fat bogan 1 starring it, but at least u made it.

It would?
Whats to stop some internet troll from taking a photo of a fermenter / bottle / glass full of cats piss and claiming it was the beer from the recipe?

Easy to put one in the discussion thread for that recipe. It might get lost in some, like the Dr Smurto's golden ale etc. but at least the threads are quite searchable...

Latest posts

Back