Recipe Db Quality Vs Experimental

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the recipe DB be for proven recipes

• Yes, Only good recipes need apply.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Recipes that have not been made before allowed.

• Available to both new and seasoned recipes (as long as they are under development).

• Just make up whatever and post it up (whats the harm).

• Total voters

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
Posted this Q in Recipes and Ingredients as it didnt really fit under discussion of a particular recipe.

Mods move where ever is appropriate.

I believe the Recipe DB should be used for seasoned tried recipes you wish to share with fellow brewers. If you want to use it as a recipe development tool use Beersmith or similar product.

There seems to be an ever amounting number of recipes just made out of no where. Some i doubt have even been made.

I like to look for good recipe examples in the DB before deciding on a new recipe and it is hard to sometimes find anything along the lines of; "Heres a recipe that i make all the time and it turns out great".

The stars work but not many get reviewed, we might just need a bit of self discipline on what recipes we post.

There may be conflicting views voice your opinion/thoughts.

Kleiny

I agree. It used to have a lot of recipe's that won awards, or were asked about from a case swap or get together. Now lots of them are just crap thrown up there and it makes it hard if you want to check out for a recipe idea. I don't know how many times I've heard an author state they don't even make it that way themselves anymore as it was only revision 1.

Maybe everyone who has recipes in there could do a clean up if they have updated them.

+1 for this.

Plus a bit note up the top "if you use a recipe, vote for it" - I get PMs about one of my recipes, others have told me they are happy with how it turns out, but never vote for it. I don't mind helping anyone, but if it has stars/comments, then others can make their mind up whether they need to PM or not and why.

The thing that irritated me is someone posted an update on their own recipe in recipedb, and said "it was crap, sink fodder". Whereas my sink fodder recipes I would never consider putting on the recipedb, only my good ones.

Goomba

I agree as well.
I've tried several recipes from the DB that were pretty crap. I now have 15 solid tried & tested ones that I have ever so slightly altered to fit in with Beer Tools Pro software.
A cleanup is definately needed.

why not discuss a recipe with other people before you brew it? Then tinker, brew it and evaluate? what is the point of having a discussion thread on a beer that's already been perfected?

I agree, whilst I don't think they all have to be "the best you've ever tried", I'd like to think that they'd be ones you have made and are good. Threads like "stlye of the week" or "WAYB" would be more suited for feedback on formulating recipes.
That said, what if I have only just started brewing decent beers and think, yeah, I'll throw that one in the DB, it's pretty good, but then 12 months later my brewing gets even better and said beer doesn't seem so good now, infact, it's shit, I just though it was good because it was way better than anything I've made before. Good beers are in the eye of the beholder, so it's kinda hard to regulate, even self regulate.

Hope that makes sense

I agree.

I've posted a few recipes in there. While they are not award winning (I'm not really a comp brewer) they have all been brewed and tasted before being added and I only add those I reckon have done well, not every one I've brewed. Most have at least been tasted and well received by brewers and non brewers alike in addition to myself.

I also try and update when I make changes or realise the original could be better.

It's a database - for feedback or discussion of a yet to be brewed recipe, it's easy enough to start a 'critique my recipe' thread or post in the relevant flavour of the week thread.

@ Pennywise - you can continually edit your recipe so if you think 12 months down the track that the recip looks awful then edit away. If it's really embarassing you can just delete it.

I think if more people voted on recipes it would help.
If you make a recipe from DB, vote on it when your done.
A whole heap of recipes with no vote ratings doesnt help anybody.
Maybe if a recipe on there is similar to something you make and know the quality of then a vote might be good.

main problem is you cant control who puts recipes up.

I think you make a good point about adding stars to recipes that you like. I never do this but i'm going to start, if everyone does this then it will make it a lot easier to sort the fantastic recipes from the ones that are just good.

I think the experimetal recipes should just be put up in the recipes and ingredients forums, to see what people think.

I also agree! I will never post a recipe in the DB if it hasn't been brewed yet!

Maybe everyone who has recipes in there could do a clean up if they have updated them.

Yes and No. The same malt and hops might be used in 2 different recipes, but I'm pretty sure different mash and hop schedules will make a different beer. both may be bloody crackers, but will be very different.

"if you use a recipe, vote for it"

Vote for it, AND Comment on it! I have been guilty of finding something i like and not contributing to its thread, but it is something i no longer do.

EDIT: 15mins to write a post! I must be a bloody slow typer!

@ Pennywise - you can continually edit your recipe so if you think 12 months down the track that the recip looks awful then edit away. If it's really embarassing you can just delete it.

Ahh ok, didn't know that. I just assumed it was like posts where you only get a certain amount of time to edit.

Being able to upload a pic of the beer is a great idea

The "what are you brewing now" thread is where any experimentation should go. Definately agree only tried and true beers should go in the DB. I also think the database needs to be subdivided into styles to make it easier to compare similar recipes. I never follow recipes exactly but try to look at a few in the same style and take bits and pieces from a few.

i think maybe a pull down box where it can be changed from experimental, made and bloody ripper by the uploader

The "what are you brewing now" thread is where any experimentation should go. Definately agree only tried and true beers should go in the DB. I also think the database needs to be subdivided into styles to make it easier to compare similar recipes. I never follow recipes exactly but try to look at a few in the same style and take bits and pieces from a few.

There's a filter in the top right corner that allows you to select certain styles and also methods (all-grain, extract, K&K) :icon_cheers:

Back