Recipe Db Quality Vs Experimental

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the recipe DB be for proven recipes

• Yes, Only good recipes need apply.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Recipes that have not been made before allowed.

• Available to both new and seasoned recipes (as long as they are under development).

• Just make up whatever and post it up (whats the harm).

• Total voters
Nick JD- From my count you only have 7 recipes, and only some of them have one star. The xxxx bitter one doesn't seem to be working either, it doesn't list any ingredients.

Maybe some of the edited posts have made me miss something?

I'm deleting all of them. Some fuckwit gave them all 1 star. I worked hard on getting some of them to the point where I was really proud of them and worthy of sharing, yet they all look like the worst beers on the DB. So I'm taking them all off.

As a newbie brewer I must admit that I have trawled through the DB several times. My biggest problem is you never know how good anything is because people dont vote or leave comments

One suggestion to improve the process might be to have the ability to leave comments and reviews under the actual posted recipe? Also a clearer voting scale? If its all under the one post its easy to see everything related to that recipe. I find it annoying having the recipe and then having to go to another link to view all the comments.

Also I think some recipes need to have clearer instructions. It appears that the way the DB is set up doesnt allow people to select the right ingredients or list the correct steps because you have the recipe stating certain ingredients but then the person writes different ingredients underneath and some instructions are very unclear, well at least for a new brewer.

Cheers
Steve

I'm deleting all of them. Some fuckwit gave them all 1 star. I worked hard on getting some of them to the point where I was really proud of them and worthy of sharing, yet they all look like the worst beers on the DB. So I'm taking them all off.

Bookmarking this one! :lol: :lol: Dummy Spit>>>>>>> PRICELESS

They didn't all have one star, maybe some people tried them and didn't like the recipe? Doesn't necessarily make these people fuckwits, just a difference in opinion. I know i've tried recipes off the database and not entirely liked them (mainly extract), never thought before to leave feedback though, on good or bad recipes.

This is why it would be good for more people to rate recipes, so that a better average can be taken. I'm guilty of not voting myself, but will start doing it. I've rated one recipe so far today, and when i have time i will go through and rate the other recipes i've tried and liked.

When i was looking at them there was 7 and some of them were not rated at all.

I've done 75 brews in my brewing life and have only put 3 recipes in the database. Always have brewed and drunk them first and have had others taste them before posting.

I like it that the database is open to everyone to post whatever they like, but it would be nice to have something other than a star rating system going. I have seen several recipes from experienced brewers that have no star rating at all, yet their recipe is brilliant and sometimes better than the recipes with a few ratings that are on the first page (sorted by rating).

If there was some way to 'tag' a recipe as a great example of a certain style etc that would be great. It would also be awesome if those recipes would be then linked into the opening post of the flavour of the week threads, e.g. a wicked pilsner recipe in the database that is a perfect representation of the style could then be linked to the pilsner SOTW thread.

Also an option of tagging a recipe as award winning etc allowing us to not only sort the recipe database by ratings but also by award winning recipes.

Cheers
Phil

I've put 4 on there, against many different recipes.

I only put on the ones that I (and others) thought were genuinely fantastic. The reason I didn't enter them into the QABC last year is that I gave away too many bottles, kids got sick and just didn't get the time to get down to entering them. I was genuinely confident in them, and I'm not normally one to blow my own trumpet.

I've had others PM me, make the beer, given them advice and they've given me really good feedback, but I've never had a recipe rated. Hell, I think I'd like a bad rating + some feedback - I think it would be fantastic to help me make better beer. I'm not too precious if someone said "I've given it 1 star, it has x, y, z wrong, a, b are right" - I actually genuinely value that sort of feedback.

Goomba

That is why I used to like how the way the db was more before. It was someone / many people asked about a recipe that either won an award or was handed out at a gathering. Then you would put it up for everyone to see.
I'm sitting fairly strong on this

Youre a 6 year member, so I dont know what the 'before' was like that you speak of. Ultimately if it were up to me, I would love to see a recipe DB with ONLY Australian comp placing brews. That's what I would refer to if I was looking for inspiration. So in that we agree.

But theres going to be a lot of undiscovered gems out there too, and I think they have their place in a DB. There just needs to be better filtering options, so the end user can pick and choose as they please.

It would be a positive move I reckon to change the 'anonymous' status of anyone rating other forum members recipes.

******* Oath. Even with a 100-character comment, so a recipe tail might read like this:

**** by QldKev: A good session beer, but NS is too girly for my taste
** by Nick JD: This recipe was gay. Good head retention from the cara though
*** by Joe Bloggs: Pretty Good, almost like VB but not as good
***** by Silo Ted: This beer is great. Will be my house beer for months to come

OVERALL RATING (from FOUR reviews): 3.5 Stars.

I think comp placing as a means of rating a beer is overrated. Sure an AABC placing beer is going to be very very good, but is is also going to be a beer that is a a very very good example of a style, and there is more to beer than that. I like styles, I think they are an essential part of competition and a great starting point, but they aren't everything. I've tasted some absolutely oustanding beers that have never seen a competition...

As to the role of the recipe db, I remember it as being more for recipes that you were happy with or that had been asked for, and when it comes right down to it I probably lean that way, but if people really want to put their name against a recipe they haven't made, or isn't that great, well I don't see it as my place to tell them they can't.

I personally only put up recipes I have been very happy with, or that people have asked about, and I would definitely go back and adjust some of them perhaps, but as it stands I put them up there as I brewed them, and there are loads of recipes I've made that have never made it to the db...

I would definitely like people who have made a recipe and enjoyed it to rate it. I know for a fact that there are more people who have made some of my recipes than the votes they've received, and if all of the recipes, not just the big 5 (or x) that have become extremely well known, received votes in line with the regularity that they have been brewed then that would start to sort out which are "good" recipes, and which are experimental etc.

i am new to AG brewing, and what i was after from the data base was a beer that had a few comments ,i wanted to know what either the brewer or someone that has made that particular recipe left a few notes on that particular beer,i found the star system didnt really give me any information other than someone liked it enough to give it a few stars,

five stars doesnt tell me its what i am after ,or 1 star doesnt tell me its not worth making

a comments section for a particular recipe is a better indication on what to expect from it .

fergi

five stars doesnt tell me its what i am after ,or 1 star doesnt tell me its not worth making

Ok then , as a new AG'er, would you consider a recipe that scored 1st place in a State Comp to be worth considering if you were about to dive in and brew a new style for yourself ? Regardless of the stars?

The ingredients list has less to do with a beer winning an award than the actual skill of the brewer.

This is a great topic, and one I have thought about starting myself. Too often I have seen recipes posted, and backtracking through the originating member's posts, notice that they have very little experience to start with. Worse still, some people formulate a recipe, think its great even before the wort has cooled, then decide to post it. For all we know, it could have been shithouse, even to the brewer's taste, a couple of months later when it was ready for drinking. Doubtful they would think to go back and delete it.

Some defined categories would be good, and a function where we could filter options. Nothing too complicated, maybe five in all.

Awarded - Any brew that has scored a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or HC in an officially, BJCP judged state or national comp. With a box for a blurb so the author can tell us where it placed, and in which comp. Not that anyone would flaunt the system, but it can always be verified at http://www.aabc.org.au/ records.

Peer Reviewed - Any brew that has been a part of the many case swaps, cube exchanges, christmas lotteries etc that has gone out to dozens of people, and gets a four-star or more peer rating from those who wish to vote. For this to work, there might need to be a voting system associated with future swap threads.

Tried & Trusted - Something like Smurto's GA that hundreds of people rave about, or even Neil's Centenarillo that has a big fan-base. It doesn't have to have won any awards, but repeated by many brewers. Maybe once a recipe hits 20 'five star' ratings, it can be moved into this category.

Old Faithful - Brews that Joe Bloggs has been brewing for years, might not have shared with other members, but experience tells him that it's a top drop.

Experimental - All the other crap that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Then a simple sorting system, where someone could go in and select options, not unlike the theory in Excel where you can sort by Column A, then by B, then by C. Let's Say "All Grain", then "Porter" then "Awarded".

Sound good ? Who's going to help develop it ? It's not within my expertise, but I would happily co-moderate any new submissions - which should probably be reviewed before they are made public, and the author contacted for more information if required.

I really hope this thread gets taken seriously by the administrators, because as Australia's premier brewer's forum, the recipe DB should really shine as a powerful tool.

I reckon this is a great way to go. When I started brewing I didn't know a good recipe from a bad one. With the above format i could've gone straight to the 'tried and trusted' or whatever and got a good start. My brewing technique may have let the recipe down a bit but it'd be better than brewing a crap recipe with a crap technique. Even if this system isn't perfect, it's got to be much better than what's there atm. It'd make a good start.

I...um...this thread is terrible.

Do any of you guys even know what the internet is?

Fucken sooks, the lot of you. (Except Nick, funnily enough. Whoever did the down-voting is a dog - unless you actually brewed them and thought they were pus but you should add an equivalent comment in the discussion thread as well.)

This thread has almost convinced me to put my stout in the DB. I've brewed it twice with the same recipe & will brew it again next weekend. Another Adelaide brewer has brewed it although that was the original recipe that I've changed slightly & it's still in a cube. I've had good feedback from brewers & non brewers. I haven't entered it in any comps but will this year. It's probably worth putting in there.

As far as voting goes, I've never brewed a 10 minute IPA but have had several & loved them all. Am I only meant to vote for beers I've brewed or is it kosher to put 5 stars next to the 10 min IPA? It will almost certainly be the 1st beer through my plate chiller next weekend.

Back