Recipe Db Quality Vs Experimental

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the recipe DB be for proven recipes

• Yes, Only good recipes need apply.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Recipes that have not been made before allowed.

• Available to both new and seasoned recipes (as long as they are under development).

• Just make up whatever and post it up (whats the harm).

• Total voters
What rating system do you use? I use
1. crap
2. boring
3. ok
4. not bad
5. award wining brew (even if has not won an award)

From what I gather some ppl think getting a rating is great, so a 1 is someone saying they like it.

QldKev

Badabing was either commenting on one of two things:

1. That my ideas on this subject are self supported, and I have a big ego
2. Something to do with FORTRAN programming language

Kev, on the ratings thing, this is where it needs to be clever. One five-star rating wont cut it. 20 five star ratings (from different IP addresses) speaks greater volumes, and is sort of dependable in the category in which it's placed. I refer again to Neil's Centenarillo, and while I haven't brewed it, so many people seem to love it, and that should be a contender for a category other than 'Experimental"

Your point 5. is just confusing :)

GUYS - Let's not derail a very important thread.

<<snip>>

What I was trying to say is 'the beer is excellent'. Even if it has never won an actual award, it is by the persons opinion an award wining beer.

QldKev

The rating system is anonymous which is a problem. If it wasn't then people would be more sincere in their ratings.

Great example of a likert scale there Kev (1-5) - maybe the mods should explicitly state that on the rating box. I've only done winners so far so i've dished out 4's and 5's ....
Cheers
BBB

Yep, that's they way see the scale. Dr Suurto's JSGA was the first to get a 5 from me :chug:

A few good points out there about trying to get to a decent recipe DB with good user ratings.

QldKev

Lets face it, this thread is pretty pointless other than possibly deterring people from posting non-brewed recipes. There is never going to be any actual clean up or moderation on the recipeDB.

The personal bickering in this thread is just detrimental to it's cause. Maybe take the dick measuring to another place?

Lets face it, this thread is pretty pointless other than possibly deterring people from posting non-brewed recipes. There is never going to be any actual clean up or moderation on the recipeDB.

A real post :eek:

I agree that there should be more active development from the owners of the AHB business, but we should at least hope that something might one day get acted upon.

The personal bickering in this thread is just detrimental to it's cause. Maybe take the dick measuring to another place?

For sure. Nick & Kev, there's plenty of threads for you to rip each other's guts out, but it would be nice to keep this one on track, hey ? For the rest of us ? Your words impact all of us, not just your intended abusee.

Would it be too much to ask both of you to self moderate the last few posts ? The 'delete' button is your friend.

Oh, and I gave everyone's recipes 5 stars since you can rate a recipe just if I feel like it.

That's just as much abusing the system as the person who devalued your entries. :rolleyes:

That's just as much abusing the system as the person who devalued your entries. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I guess I need to make the point. I just went though and saw that I have 31 recipes on there. Now even I didn't know that - but Kev did. Read his previous posts.

He bothered to go though and 1 star every one of my recipes? I've had some pretty good feedback on some of those recipes.

I mean - WTF? What kind of person does that? Is he 14 years old?

I think I need to take this up with the moderators.

Badabing was either commenting on one of two things:

1. That my ideas on this subject are self supported, and I have a big ego
2. Something to do with FORTRAN programming language

Kev, on the ratings thing, this is where it needs to be clever. One five-star rating wont cut it. 20 five star ratings (from different IP addresses) speaks greater volumes, and is sort of dependable in the category in which it's placed. I refer again to Neil's Centenarillo, and while I haven't brewed it, so many people seem to love it, and that should be a contender for a category other than 'Experimental"

Silo Ted
I was trying to say (clumsily) that your idea is great and should be implemented. No personal slur at all and if it came across that way my apologies. The likert scale remark is simply that the rating scale used is a likert scale - 1 thru 5. I was just making the point Kev was getting at - some people may think scoring a 1 is fantastically great and 5 shit. I do 1 = shit and 5 is great. They should make that explicit - still wont stop people maliciously scoring on personality rather than taste
Cheers
BBB

A big cheers should be given to the two members who have kindly deleted some of their threads. Now, to go back and edit out the comments I have quoted you both on :) Will be done soon, then we can move ahead.

Where were we, OK, the database. Bada Bing that's interesting. 1 'point' could be read as poor (to be read like one star) or as the best (such as "'First Place"). In this internet age, that's where a visual aid is a good thing, such as stars. No-one would confuse one star with being the worst rating on any given subject. Amazon and such use it, and they probably paid psychologists to work that out for them.

I agree with Barls,

A pull down box with experimental, tried and bloody ripper would be a nice guide alongside comments and scores etc.

I have just done my first self designed recipe for a mild APA, and its really nice, used home grown cascade hops, but I'll wait until I've tried it with pellets before posting in the database.

This thread makes me a bit hesitant to post now though, how are you supposed to know when the recipe is 'ready' for posting ?

Comon sense says that you probably should try it at least say 3 times to confirm that its a good consistent recipe.

A big cheers should be given to the two members who have kindly deleted some of their threads. Now, to go back and edit out the comments I have quoted you both on :) Will be done soon, then we can move ahead.

Where were we, OK, the database. Bada Bing that's interesting. 1 'point' could be read as poor (to be read like one star) or as the best (such as "'First Place"). In this internet age, that's where a visual aid is a good thing, such as stars. No-one would confuse one star with being the worst rating on any given subject. Amazon and such use it, and they probably paid psychologists to work that out for them.

SiloTed
No-one would confuse one star ....... famous last words ..... this is where I say "trust me I'm a psychologist". They do and regularly so the more explicit the better IMHO. You're idea is very good and shouldn't be that hard to implement.
Cheers
BBB

I guess my point on the ratings is some users may take a 1 star as being, "I scored 1/5" as opposed to "crap". No stating anyone's given recipe.
Also there is no rule to state if the rating is based on what you have read in the recipe and your opinion of it, or what you have brewed and am providing feedback upon based on either a personal or group response.

That is why I used to like how the way the db was more before. It was someone / many people asked about a recipe that either won an award or was handed out at a gathering. Then you would put it up for everyone to see.

I'm sitting fairly strong on this, because now you can search for a given recipe clone and find extreme variations. Recently I wanted a kilkenny recipe and when you look in the recipe DB the variation on recipe leaves you no real confidence in what you read.

QldKev

The rating system is anonymous which is a problem. If it wasn't then people would be more sincere in their ratings.

It would be a positive move I reckon to change the 'anonymous' status of anyone rating other forum members recipes.

We also all need to consider before rating a recipe, that its maybe going to be slightly different on different brew rigs, and things such as cleanliness and temp control etc etc etc etc come into play in a major way here.

Just my 2c :)

I agree with Barls,

A pull down box with experimental, tried and bloody ripper would be a nice guide alongside comments and scores etc.

I have just done my first self designed recipe for a mild APA, and its really nice, used home grown cascade hops, but I'll wait until I've tried it with pellets before posting in the database.

This thread makes me a bit hesitant to post now though, how are you supposed to know when the recipe is 'ready' for posting ?

Comon sense says that you probably should try it at least say 3 times to confirm that its a good consistent recipe.

I've been experimenting with a few brews for a MIDAPA, mainly using late Cascade. I'm drinking the one know as MIDAPA2 tonight. It's pretty good beer, but still no what I would rate as a stand out brew worth publishing. AndrewQld mentioned I should enter my MIDAPA into a comp, but I still want to tweak it; then once I think I have nailed it and make it consistent I will put it in the recipeDB.

QldKev

Nick JD- From my count you only have 7 recipes, and only some of them have one star. The xxxx bitter one doesn't seem to be working either, it doesn't list any ingredients.

Maybe some of the edited posts have made me miss something?

Edit- now the xxxx recipe isn't even there and you have 5 recipes... are you deleting them or something?

Latest posts

Back