• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Rays

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
Hey guys, don't know if this is good or not but i saw in the Rays fathers day catalouge they have 40L Crab cooking pots with a strainer/collander type thing that fits inside it with a handle, looks perfect for BIAB or some type of HB application, they're $99

You could line the strainer with a swiss voile 'cylinder' made to fit exactly and, assuming the handle on the strainer is strong enough, then hoisting would be a dream, you could use a lever arm arrangement or skyhook.

Endless possibilites here. Get a tap hole drilled, add some gas and you're BIABing :) Don't know much about gas but I assume you could get away with one of the cheaper burners.

Edit: in fact you could probably line the strainer with very fine flyscreen type metal mesh and have an all metal 'BIAB' arrangement. Wow that would even get Darren's approval :eek:

Edit: if you did the above and lag the pot with camping mat or doonah you could use it as a conventional mash tun in a 3V system and after sparging whip out the strainer and dispose of the grain cleanly and effectively with a minimum of cussing.

Some brewers already have gas, however and it might suit them. However can't beat the urn, hey.

I bought one of these last week and have ran 2 brews through it, and having the strainer made BIAB even easier than what I am used to.

The strainer sits about 1.5 inches off the bottom of the pot, so there was no issues burning the BIAB bag during mashout or anything like that.

Whilst the Aluminium is not the thickest I have seen, it is certainly more sturdier than some other bargain basement, SS pots that are around.
The handle holding the strainer is reasonably robust. I found it very easy to lift the strainer / bag out and hang off a hook. I then was able to get a SS pot lid and press down on the bag inside the strainer to squeeze out as much wort as possible.

So for the cost I have found it worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back