Raspberry beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I've put the frozen berries in the fermenter in a hop sock, the blonde has taken on a lot of the berries colour, I'm hoping that 1kg of fruit will be enough to impart a bit of flavour into the beer too.

I was wondering how long I should leave the fruit in the fermenter for? I'm a bit worried about it developing mould if I leave it in there for too long.

barls said:
i normally left it about 2-3 weeks.
Thanks Barls, It's taken on a nice red hue from all of the berries but it doesnt smell very fruity (berry fruit) i take it it will come through in the taste and not the smell at the moment as it's still fermenting and kicking out a load of CO2

Guys, the exact blend we use to get the chocolate flavour in our White choc Pilsner & the GABS winning White Choc & Raspberry pilsner is an in house secret at present. But what I can assure you is though, that we do not use any essences.
In the brewery we use a mix of real chocolate, cacao nibs, vanilla & pure chocolate extract. For the raspberry version we rack the white chocolate pilsner on to raspberry puree at a rate of 60gms/L

Hope this gives you some guidance.

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Guys, the exact blend we use to get the chocolate flavour in our White choc Pilsner & the GABS winning White Choc & Raspberry pilsner is an in house secret at present. But what I can assure you is though, that we do not use any essences.
In the brewery we use a mix of real chocolate, cacao nibs, vanilla & pure chocolate extract. For the raspberry version we rack the white chocolate pilsner on to raspberry puree at a rate of 60gms/L

Hope this gives you some guidance.

cheers Ross
Thanks Ross that's a great help and refreshing to know that no essences are used!

Thanks for the tips, the experimentation continues!

alimac23 said:
Thanks Barls, It's taken on a nice red hue from all of the berries but it doesnt smell very fruity (berry fruit) i take it it will come through in the taste and not the smell at the moment as it's still fermenting and kicking out a load of CO2
You won't get much fruit flavour out of 1kg. I've used 2kg in 23L batches and it comes out as tart & fruity as a drag queen.

So if this is racked onto a puree, which normally has sugar added, wont the yeast just eat this and then your left with the fruit tartiness again? If you want to leave a sweeter rasberry taste could you make your own puree using lactose as a sweetener? That way the yeast won't eat it.

vanoontour said:
So if this is racked onto a puree, which normally has sugar added, wont the yeast just eat this and then your left with the fruit tartiness again? If you want to leave a sweeter rasberry taste could you make your own puree using lactose as a sweetener? That way the yeast won't eat it.
normally has sugar added? Not if you buy 100% frozen raspberries.

Yes the yeast will eat the sugar and leave a delicious tartness behind. If you really want sweet lollywater beer for girly girls then I suppose you could add lactose in. Or you could just make shandy's with creaming soda. :icon_vomit:

phoneyhuh said:
normally has sugar added? Not if you buy 100% frozen raspberries.

Yes the yeast will eat the sugar and leave a delicious tartness behind. If you really want sweet lollywater beer for girly girls then I suppose you could add lactose in. Or you could just make shandy's with creaming soda. :icon_vomit:
Straight to pigeon holeing someone huh..... When researching rasberry beers a common trait that I found was a lot of complaints about the tartiness as a result. My post was a mere possible solution to this. And 100% frozen rasberries are just that, not a puree

But hey, you feel free to make shandy's however you see fit... :D

I did a raspberry wheat. i bought 2 small punnets fresh from a farm and froze them. then put them in a sock, poured a litre of boiling water over them then added the wheat beer can and some wheat malt and bingo. easiest beer i have made but its come up pretty good. i wouldnt use anymore raspberries as its almost too easy to drink. i think it was like 4-500grams, but its a very easy beer to drink so im saving them for summer

vanoontour said:
Maybe some purees have sugar added. but we buy lots of different purees & they are all 100% pure fruit. Puree is more expensive than whole fruit, but it gives us consistency when brewing commercially & also removes the hassle of breaking down the fruit.
Slight edit on my earlier post, just realised we buy our puree by the litre not kg, so we are using 3L of puree, not 3 kg.

Cheers Ross

1. Hello again . i have used a health food cordial called, Dr Red Nutracuticals , The Rosella punch , and the blueberry one . i add 100ml when i rack of with 300gm of honey it gives a subtle but distinctive addition to my IPA . http://www.drred.com.au/rosellapunch
    its not cheap around 35$ a 750 ml bottle ,but the taste is not chemically wierd , as its meant to be real stuff. With added health benifets .
    thats for a 27 litre brew by the way .

As SWMBO loves a certain Belgian framboise, but hates all other beer, it's a personal goal for me to make one for her. So far I"ve been unsuccessful. :rolleyes:

The Canadian Blonde is a great base for it.
I've used about 1.5kg - 2kg for my raspberry beers in the past.
As for hopsocks, I've even used those sock filters that go in the pool skimmers (newly bought of course!). I just boiled it for 5min or so beforehand to sterilise it.

One of the better raspberry beers I did, I reopened a handful and poured in the dregs of a farmhouse ale a mate brewed. A few months later, those bottles took on a whole different character, and were deliciously sour-tart.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

Well I bottled the raspberry beer today and it smelt a bit winey, I think as everyone suggested it was the fruit fermenting and the sugar being eaten up, it had a great pink hue to the beer but it'll be interesting to see the flavour after carbonation, ill report back in a few weeks time and give you all an update.

I make a raspberry beer once a year. Usually a pils / wheat with 1kg of frozen berries for 20 L. Amarillo at 30 or 40 mins to about 20 IBU.

Before being added to the FV after primary fermentation has finished, the berries are placed in two litres of water at about 80 deg for two minutes so that any nasties are killed. Berries + the 2L water are tipped in to the FV.

Bottle conditioned they are drinkable after three weeks, however they really do benefit from six months in the bottle. See if you can hold off really hooking in to yours until summer.

It seems that there are more than one opinion about whether to rack onto the fruit, use a hop sock or dump it right into the FV.

Is there a particular reason to get everything off the trub before adding the fruit? Or is it just personal preference??

Anything that sinks into the trub is essentially lost, that's how I understand it.

BeardedWonder said:
It seems that there are more than one opinion about whether to rack onto the fruit, use a hop sock or dump it right into the FV.

Is there a particular reason to get everything off the trub before adding the fruit? Or is it just personal preference??
Racking the beer off the yeast cake onto the fruit will give you maximum colour. The yeast will absorb colour from the fruit.

Back