Raspberry beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck brewing a raspberry beer, I was thinking of keeping it simple and brewing a coopers Canadian blonde and then about 2-3 days into fermentation adding a load of crushed, frozen raspberries in a hop sock.

Any thoughts or comments on this method?

I brewed an excellent raspberry porter!!! Was one of the best beers I have ever brewed, but haven't brewed a light beer. Let me know if you want the recipe. I brewed it when I used to do extract but should be too hard for someone to convert to a/g

'not sure what's his name on here' brewed an excellent Raspberry Schwarzbier that won the BABBs Mash Paddle fruit beer comp run by the Archive Bar in Brisbane last year.

Not sure if the recipe had been made public but that's definitely a beer worth brewing, although probably a bit harder on a kit base.

chopdog said:
I brewed an excellent raspberry porter!!! Was one of the best beers I have ever brewed, but haven't brewed a light beer. Let me know if you want the recipe. I brewed it when I used to do extract but should be too hard for someone to convert to a/g
Thanks I would love the recipe for the raspberry porter!

I do AG BIAB too so I should be fine with the kit version of the beer.

I reckon raspberries in a porter sounds awesome!

23Lbatch----Us05 yeast
3kg light liquid malt
1kg dark liquid malt

Steeped
450g crystal
300g choc
90g black

Hops
60g goldings 60 mins

Didn't note down sg or fg, sorry
After 5days fermenting at 18 deg I brought 1.3kg frozen raspberries up to 80 deg just to be safe and to kill off any baddies, then cooled back to 20 deg in the freezer. Poured the raspberries into a 2nd fermenter and racked the beer over ther top, the brew was at 1.030 at this stage. The 2nd time I brewed this a added 50ml choc essence to the keg...... Unreal!!!!!! The beer has a nice roasty/ toasty taste like a porter should followed buy a bit of tartness from the berries with a very light choc taste at the end.

Happy brewing

i did the canadian blonde with 750 gm of farm berries in the primary towards the ends of fermentation.
no sock used.
only added some hallertau to it.

Thanks chopdog that recipe sounds amazing!

I've just put this one down as the mrs doesn't like hoppy beers or anything too dark.

1 x coopers Canadian blonde tin
500g light dry malt
500g dextrose

OG 1.040

I'm going to put 1kg of mixed berries into a hop sock on day 2 or 3 of fermentation

No idea what this will taste like at all, does 1kg of frozen fruit sound enough to have any impact?

from a farm frozen or supermarket?

looks about right heres the one i did yonks ago
Fermentables

Ingredient

Amount

%

MCU

When

wals wheat

1.700 kg

63.0 %

In Mash/Steeped

Extract - Wheat Liquid Malt Extract

1.000 kg

37.0 %

End Of Boil

Hops

Variety

Alpha

Amount

IBU

Form

When

NZ Hallertauer Aroma

7.5 %

18 g

Loose Pellet Hops

In Fermenter

Other Ingredients

Ingredient

Amount

When

raspberries- frozen

1.000 kg

In Fermenter

Yeasts

Yeast Strain

Amount

Used

White Labs WLP550-Belgian Ale

1 pack

crush them up to let all the juices out if you want that extra punch.

Thanks guys,

They are frozen from the supermarket barls, in sterile, vacuum packed bags so I was going to defrost them, mash them up in the pack before opening it and then pour the fruit straight into the hop sock and any juices straight into the fermenter.

I was quite impressed by the white chocolate raspberry pilsner at GABS, does anyone know how they could get that white chocolate flavour going?

Edak said:
I was quite impressed by the white chocolate raspberry pilsner at GABS, does anyone know how they could get that white chocolate flavour going?
This sounds awesome, the mrs would be dead impressed if I could make a white chocolate tasting beer! Millions of brownie points from that one :)

Brewferm a belgium canned kit brand put out a raspberry product also a cherry (Kriek ) one . I picked up some out of date cans of an ebay seller in Melb a few years back .
I had 2 goes at it . both turned out well . one tin was meant for 15l but i added another tin of draught bulked it up to 27l .After a weeek i racked it onto 1 kg frozen raspberries from a farm with half a kilo of yellowbox honey and 30grm of tettanger another 2 weeks and bottled it .
was an excellent summer beer and lasted well tasted even better after a year . I have one stubbie left in the vintage section and regret not making more .
Followed the same for the cherry brew . A white mold developed on the hop sock but i bottled it anyway ,made no difference . I have a case of this left and its near 2 years old tasting better than ever. The honey is a great preservative .
a cinnamon stick in at flame out helps to .

Green-lobster said:
Brewferm a belgium canned kit brand put out a raspberry product also a cherry (Kriek ) one . I picked up some out of date cans of an ebay seller in Melb a few years back .
I had 2 goes at it . both turned out well . one tin was meant for 15l but i added another tin of draught bulked it up to 27l .After a weeek i racked it onto 1 kg frozen raspberries from a farm with half a kilo of yellowbox honey and 30grm of tettanger another 2 weeks and bottled it .
was an excellent summer beer and lasted well tasted even better after a year . I have one stubbie left in the vintage section and regret not making more .
Followed the same for the cherry brew . A white mold developed on the hop sock but i bottled it anyway ,made no difference . I have a case of this left and its near 2 years old tasting better than ever. The honey is a great preservative .
a cinnamon stick in at flame out helps to .
Thanks i'll have to give this one a shot too!

OK guys so this one is off to a rapid start, made the kit yesterday and pitched the yeast around 1pm yesterday arvo.

Got up this morning and the Krausen is already half way up the side of the fermenter, looking nice and healthy.

How long should i wait before adding the fruit in a hop sock, i was thinking at maybe a couple of days in?

Edak said:
I loved that one as well.

I had heard that it was Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Beans for the White Chocolate taste.

Anybody got any idea wether this would be in Primary, or Secondary?

I am reliably informed that Cacao Nibs can be purchased from some of the Shops near the Queen Vic Market. Might have to get me some.

Back