Raspberry Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something :lol:
sorry :ph34r:

HMMMM
would you get it off the yeast cake now too,

This is about the 3rd lager i have done in my life, I am far from educated on the matter
You said earlier that the base beer is finished and lagering so I'd rack it to another fermenter with the rasberries for a week or so. You could also just chuck them in, but I'd do it soon...
Then I'd chill and either rack or let it sit chilled for a few days to let the fruit really settle out.
Then keg, letting it sit in the keg for a few weeks prior to the party.

My standard fruit beer method is ferment, fruit in the end of primary/in secondary, chill, rack, chill again, keg/bottle.
The extra chill and rack step helps get rid if the little bits of fruit pulp that get in and don't float at the top like the fruit tends to...

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question but, when racking into the secondary, is priming sugar still used or just the raspberries are used for priming? :unsure:

In this case the fruit will be used for flavour and colour, and will be removed from secondary before bottling.
Despite moving to secondary I expect that there will be some yeast in suspension that will eat some of the fruit sugars up, meaning that priming sugar will still be used at bottling time.

In theory I am sure you can use fruit to prime your beer bottles, but the ratio of fruit to carbonation, I have no idea. Nor do I have any idea what percentage of fruit sugar yeast can consume.

Anyway I hope I understood your question correctly

made a nice witbier-based raspberry beer which is now in the secondary turning a nice shade of red.

22L batch: 2kg dingemans pilsner, 1kg german wheat malt, 1kg unmalted wheat. styrian goldings to 15IBU. OG:1.041. racked onto 1kg of raspberries.
(forbidden fruit yeast)

tastes delicious from the fermenter.

In this case the fruit will be used for flavour and colour, and will be removed from secondary before bottling.
Despite moving to secondary I expect that there will be some yeast in suspension that will eat some of the fruit sugars up, meaning that priming sugar will still be used at bottling time.

In theory I am sure you can use fruit to prime your beer bottles, but the ratio of fruit to carbonation, I have no idea. Nor do I have any idea what percentage of fruit sugar yeast can consume.

Anyway I hope I understood your question correctly
There will be some yeast left in suspension and you will generally get a little additional fermentation.

You wouldn't want to prime with fruit. I've had little chunks of fruit make their way into bottles and after a while the result is a gusher...

@Warrior Poet - as joshhardie has said, the idea of the fruit is to add colour and flavour. You don't even need to do it in secondary if you don't want, you can add to primary after the bulk of fermentation is complete.
In the case of fruit beers I like to rack after the fruit to help clear it out and avoid bits of fruit getting in the final beer...

There will be some yeast left in suspension and you will generally get a little additional fermentation.

You wouldn't want to prime with fruit. I've had little chunks of fruit make their way into bottles and after a while the result is a gusher...

@Warrior Poet - as joshhardie has said, the idea of the fruit is to add colour and flavour. You don't even need to do it in secondary if you don't want, you can add to primary after the bulk of fermentation is complete.
In the case of fruit beers I like to rack after the fruit to help clear it out and avoid bits of fruit getting in the final beer...
Looks like the tertiary idea (gettting it back off the berries) could be a goer, as I can confirm the gusher effect.

Boiled this up last night.

Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg LME
200g white sugar
80g Melanoidin
80g Caramunich I
8g Styrian Goldings @ 60min
8g Saaz @ 10min
WLP 550 Belgian Ale

OG=1044
Will rack onto 1-2kg Raspberry Puree in a week's time.

Boiled this up last night.

Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg LME
200g white sugar
80g Melanoidin
80g Caramunich I
8g Styrian Goldings @ 60min
8g Saaz @ 10min
WLP 550 Belgian Ale

OG=1044
Will rack onto 1-2kg Raspberry Puree in a week's time.

After a slow start, last night there was a massive krausen, and it was happily bubbling away at approx 15 deg C.
Took a sample (naturally) and it tastes fan-bloody-tastic.

It's early days, but It's great to know a Knk Belgian CAN be knocked up simply.... If I couldn't be arsed AG'ing.

Ill throw my recipe in

Coopers Canadian Blonde Hopped Malt Extract
1.75kg Joe White Pilsner Malt
1.75kg Joe White Wheat Malt
10gms Glacier @ 10 mins
10gms Glacier @ 1 mins
Craftbrewer's Weihenstephan Lager Yeast

Stats
OG 1.069 FG 1.018 ABV 6.66% :lol:
26.1 IBU 3.7 SRM

Fermented for 9 days, cleared for 5 days
Racked into secondary with 750gms of pasteurised raspberries

It is now lagering at 5 degrees. Flavours at the moment are very interesting. The yeast has put some wonderful fruityness into the beer, that is actually clashing with the fruit flavour, so hopefully that will blend nicely in the coming weeks.

Ill throw my recipe in

Coopers Canadian Blonde Hopped Malt Extract
1.75kg Joe White Pilsner Malt
1.75kg Joe White Wheat Malt
10gms Glacier @ 10 mins
10gms Glacier @ 1 mins
Craftbrewer's Weihenstephan Lager Yeast

Stats
OG 1.069 FG 1.018 ABV 6.66% :lol:
26.1 IBU 3.7 SRM

Fermented for 9 days, cleared for 5 days
Racked into secondary with 750gms of pasteurised raspberries

It is now lagering at 5 degrees. Flavours at the moment are very interesting. The yeast has put some wonderful fruityness into the beer, that is actually clashing with the fruit flavour, so hopefully that will blend nicely in the coming weeks.
when i syphon to keg from secondary. i have a little hop bag that has string attached to it and i tie it around the end of my transfer hose. this stops any fruit seeds or pulp from going into the keg.

I should of added that my fruit is inside a sanitised stocking leg, that is knotted.

No fruit matter, should pass through the stocking material.
That is the plan anyway

Racked mine onto 2kg Raspberry Puree last night. Put the puree into some sanitised (boiled for 5 min) stockings, and racked blonde ale on top. Shall leave for 2-3 weeks.

Racked mine onto 2kg Raspberry Puree last night. Put the puree into some sanitised (boiled for 5 min) stockings, and racked blonde ale on top. Shall leave for 2-3 weeks.
Gave it a taste last night. I reckon I could've done it a bit early. The OG when I racked it was 1016, but it's now dropped to 1010 a week later. Raspberry flavour is great if a little thin, so I'll wait a few more weeks, hoping for more berry flavour. NIce and tart though.

Gave it a taste last night. I reckon I could've done it a bit early. The OG when I racked it was 1016, but it's now dropped to 1010 a week later. Raspberry flavour is great if a little thin, so I'll wait a few more weeks, hoping for more berry flavour. NIce and tart though.
Racked into tertiary with 700g blended raspberries. Will see how things go from now. FG=1008

I find that the tartness of raspberries seems to thin out your beer. For that reason I always finish the beer at least a few points early (well I do for the robust porter anyway).

Sample taken last night. FG=1004.
Nice full pink colour, big raspberry flavour (if a little thin...see FG) and rather tart.
Ultra clear, but we'll see how this one racks with the loose berry sediment.
Shall bottle this one either tonight or Sunday. Throwing some wild yeast in a few bottles as well.

Latest posts

Back