Raspberry Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
i know the raspberry thing has been done to death, as i have been reading about it for the last 2 hours on this forum. but want some questions answered.....

i was going to be lazy and use a "Brewers Selection" wort.
which one should i use?
which yeast should i use?... wheat or ale
would it pour like Guinness if i used my nitro/CO2

was going to add 2kg of raspberry's to the secondary

by the way

TEMPMATES ROCK!!!!!!!!!! :super:

jeddog

i know the raspberry thing has been done to death, as i have been reading about it for the last 2 hours on this forum. but want some questions answered.....

i was going to be lazy and use a "Brewers Selection" wort.
which one should i use?
which yeast should i use?... wheat or ale
would it pour like Guinness if i used my nitro/CO2

by the way

TEMPMATES ROCK!!!!!!!!!! :super:

jeddog

Do wheat beer kit and add the raspberries in to the secondary (well that is what I would do - actually I would put a pack of the gourmet mixed frozen berries in the secondary). Yeast WB-06. Ferment at 18 for a week, then bottle and send it my way!

PM Fourstar - he has just done a rasberry beer that sounded awesome. It shall be one of my first beers once I go AG...

Just make sure your aware as to how tart a raspberry's are... I added 2KG of frozen berries from Wollies to the secondary in two days the raspberry's were completely white and stayed floating on the top of the wort.

Has taken about 2 months for the tartness to settle out and the 'beer' to become noticeable..

Perhaps a brew to make during winter, and then age for a really hot summer day..

I made up a Coopers Heritage Wheat and racked onto 1KG of frozen Coles raspberries, (defrosted them mostly of course) and the beer changed to an instant bright red colour. Been on the raspberries now for almost a week, I'm not sure when to rack to a keg and drink. I was thinking two weeks.

The thing is, with all the huge chunks of berry in there, how do I go about keeping the lumps in the fermenter and just the liquid in my keg? don't want a raspberry stuck in the dip tube like that fat kid from Willy Wonka.

i've used a Belgian Ale kit with 1 kg of dextrose and T-58 wheat yeast, the OG was about 1.062 . after 3-5 days in the primary i'm going to racking into a secondary fermenter and add the 2kg of raspberry's in a hop sock after racking into a secondary fermenter.......

how do i calculate the ABV% with the addition of the raspberry's?

if I can remember, my Coles raspberries (frozen) were 5.8g of sugar per 100gm of berries.

I just steeped a kg of rasperries in a litre and a half of almost boiled apple juice, (obviously for a cider, not a beer), mashed it up, strained with a colander, squeezed out the juice then threw straight into the fermenter that's been brewing a week. I'm going to rack to secondary in about an hour. After trying to strain through muslin bags to get the finest stuff, realised its such a pain in the arse, and for little gain, consdering the pulps been largely removed anyway.

Needless to say, the kitchen is a bloody mess. :wacko:

how do i calculate the ABV% with the addition of the raspberry's?

After a week of looking into how I should calculate ABV (I made several juice additions in the last 7 days), I would suggest that the raspberries probably won't change you ABV by anything more than the smallest of measurement, considering they have such a low sugar content. Unless they were artificially sweetened product.

I just racked my Belgian Ale into the secondary, took a SG reading of 1.018 ( it's OG was 1.062 Saturday morning) which gives me an ABV 5.8% so far. Added 2kg of thawed raspberry's in a boiled hop sock. The raspberry's were 4gm sugar/100gm fruit, which should be roughly 80gm extra sugar.

How long should i leave it?

What can the SG get down to using the T-58 wheat yeast?

And any idea's what the FG will be?

Fermenting at 20c (using my new Tempmate ) :super:

by the way.....good work on the 9 Lt keg bulk sale everyone, mines on its way :)

I got a beer down from 1.085 to 1.015 with T-58 a while back so maybe expect it to finish near 1.010.

Either way, leave it a week or two in secondary.

i got this raspberry beers SG down to 1.008 from 1.062 which make it approx 7.1% ( i think i will make it approx 7.5% from the added sugar in the raspberry's). I have had this beer chilling at zero c for the last day.

My question is, how long should i cold condition at this temp for before kegging?

My question is, how long should i cold condition at this temp for before kegging?

Are you cold conditioning to clear it up? Any additions?

If its clearing up nicely I would get it into the keg soon, pressurise it and let it settle/condition further in the keg.

My 2c.

I look forward to hearing how it goes, am keen to make a rasberry beer very soon!

yes cold conditioning to clear it up and no additions

i think i'll keg it

my raspberry wheat is in the keg in the fridge now, taste from sample was very promising, colour is a beautiful red. When I get home tonight and hook up my new taps finally going to force carb and have a sample.

only thing I'd do differently next time maybe use 2KG of raspberries instead of just 1kg, to get more berry flavour. Although it's VERY tarty at the moment, this is probably going to settle.

I'll post pics tonight

after cutting my hand open and having no beer taps for almost two weeks, I've finally done it!

here is my raspberry wheat, it smells beautiful, this is absolutely the best brew I have ever done!

raspberry1zx0.jpg

raspberry11aw5.jpg

after cutting my hand open and having no beer taps for almost two weeks, I've finally done it!

here is my raspberry wheat, it smells beautiful, this is absolutely the best brew I have ever done!

raspberry1zx0.jpg

raspberry11aw5.jpg

that does look bloody nice, is the recipe anywhere here or is it a secret ?

cheers

hate to say it's a kit beer mate, no all grain recipe as such but this is what I've got in my notes:

23/11/2008 12pm,

1x Coopers Heritage Wheat
1x Coopers Wheat Liquid malt
1x Safbrew SB-06 Wheat yeast
1kg of Coles frozen raspberries

01/12/2008 6:44pm

racked partially defrosted raspberries into second fermenter, the siphoned wheat beer ontop of berries. sealed lid and put on airlock with new water. placed in cupboard.

14/12/2008 8:34pm

racked beer into keg, purged with c02, only got about 17 litres and berries were white/colourless
20/12/2008 force carb'd at 300kpa for around 1 minute

it smells so good, almost like one I had at the Belgian Cafe in the city, of course being a kit beer it won't be as good as if I used grains, etc etc.

hope it helps :)

ill post pics of my latest one soon when i open the bottle

hate to say it's a kit beer mate, no all grain recipe as such but this is what I've got in my notes:

it smells so good, almost like one I had at the Belgian Cafe in the city, of course being a kit beer it won't be as good as if I used grains, etc etc.

hope it helps :)

no problem quantocks, as long as you like it mate, doesn't matter if it's kits & bits.

when adding the raspberries to the 2ndary, do you have to pasteurise them or are they right to go from frozen ?

cheers
yard

I let them partially defrost on the verandah for about an hour, they come in zip lock sealed bags and as they are frozen didn't bother pasturising them, just threw them in a spare fermenter and then racked the fully fermented wheat beer on top of them. I think because they were still part frozen, it kept the wort temp down a tiny tiny bit.

after two weeks in secondary, transferred to keg. the lawn got all the raspberries and crap and then I just force carbed earlier, apparently wheats are best drunk fresh? so I don't know whether it will get better or worse with age.

Back