Raspberry Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow the colour you got form 1KG of raspberries is nuts compared to mine. I even puree'd and pased all the seeds too to increase the fruit extraction!

that kit must be VERY pale as i did mine AG with nothing but base malts and the most i could get from it was a orangy/pinky colour.

Looks nice either way! how did it go with the wheat yeast? i used US05 in mine and it boosted the raspberries on the nose as that yeast is quite neutral when fermented low..

here is what mugas had to say about mine from the nsw case swap. i think he summed it up nicely
Sampling notes:
Served chilled in pilsner glass.
Halfway already! Thought I might tuck into the offering from the host of this Xmas swap.
Loud fizz upon opening, slight foaming up the neck of bottle...I should pour it! Pours a billowing pink-tinged white head of foam atop a clear lively ros-like pink body.
Aroma hits me pretty full on with tart raspberry and yeast. Faint cereally malt in the background, somewhat spicy but it should just be the gas coming off this thing. Slight note of grassy funk with warmth, which has never been anything to discourage me from drinking raspberry beer (Cantillon anyone?)
Racey carbonation without too much bite, light bodied without being watery, tart without being sour. Balance is very good.
Here where I was lead to believe that there wouldn't be much happening on the body, i'm once again taken offguard by this beer. Raspberry jam lends some sweetness, grainy wheat malt drying it out, yet theres much more to it; clove spice, green leaf and blue cheese funk, bready yeast towards the
finish. Slight sharpness lingers, raspberry flavour still there but tart.
Such an interesting beer, certainly not in the same ballpark of a lambic fruit beer, but authenticly (is that a word!?) fruity enough to have some 'wild' complexity about it without being unapproachable. First time i've come across a fruit beer in one of these swaps, and a big props to you Barls for pulling it off... particularly with the likes of FGZ being part of the
swap!
heres a pics of the previous version.
ill try to get a pic of this years version for colour comparison
27122008017.jpg

I have stuffed around with fruit in beers before and I have come up with the best, easiest and most consistant way to get great results. Its called 500mls of Cascade Raspberry cordial. 500mls in a keg of Wheat Beer is perfect. Just that nice hint of sweet raspberries. I would not even bother with real fruit again, as the aim here is to make a good beer not a complicated exercise.

Steve

racking onto 1KG of rasberries is a complicated exercise sjw? i thought u built a stir plate not long ago cant be any more complicated...

just kegged 20L pale ale i had sitting on 1.3KG of frozen rasberries. Must say its loveley out of the fermenter maybe a bit tart but im hoping that will back off. The colour is amazing. W@ill post a pic when i crack the first glass.

yeah I was surprised at the colour of the beer with only 1kg of raspberries, people said to use more to get more colour but this is it when I cracked one the night.

beeras6.jpg

Here's my attempt.. i filtered and kegged into 2 9lt kegs and cracked one for xmas day, I had to add some Bickfords Raspberry cordial because it was far to tart to drink on the day. I also added the Bickfords into the second keg. I poured this 7.8% beer using CO2/Nitro mix and got the cascade affect i was after.
The colour was a brilliant red, the head was a thick creamy pink and the flavour had a slightly bitter after taste.
PC293370.JPG PC293373.JPG

I think the 2nd keg will be better left for some time for the tartness to mellow

Still a pretty dam good Xmas beer :D

I called this beer "The Xmas Raspberry Granny Basher"

Attachments

• PC293371.JPG
    PC293371.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 60
that first photo looks amazing! is that a wheat beer jeddog?

Fents

i've used a Belgian Ale kit with 1 kg of dextrose and T-58 wheat yeast,

go to the first page of this thread :)

it's got what i did

all the best

ok guys here is the nsw case version( the photo doesnt show the colour quite right
30122008021-1.jpg

fantastic work guys,

i'm about to make a raspberry beer,

i'm using a fresh wort hefeweizen, with wlp500, ferment for a week then rack onto 1.5kg of raspberries, then bottle a week or two after that

tartness seems to be issue for many using raspberries,

would it help at all to add some maltodextrine to make it sweeter ?

it depends where your getting your raspberries from.
mine are farm fresh.

it depends where your getting your raspberries from.
mine are farm fresh.

so you are saying that the quality of the raspberries will determine the level of 'tartness' as opposed to the quantity ?

yeah it does the supermarket ones lack aroma and seem to be a bit tame compared to the fresh frozen ones i use.

Here's my latest one... I've changed my mind from the raspberry porter to a belgian blonde version

Canadian Blonde
1kg LDME
100g Caramunich steep
100g Melanoidin steep
10g St goldings @60
10g Saaz @10min
WLP 550 Belgian Ale
1kg Raspberry Puree in Secondary.

Here's my latest one... I've changed my mind from the raspberry porter to a belgian blonde version

Canadian Blonde
1kg LDME
100g Caramunich steep
100g Melanoidin steep
10g St goldings @60
10g Saaz @10min
WLP 550 Belgian Ale
1kg Raspberry Puree in Secondary.

Screw it, I'm going to make up some candi sugar to go in this tonight. (or just add 300g white sugar on the day).
Raspberries might be upped to 2kg... I'll see how things go.

I might as well tag onto this thread

I am in the middle of a rasberry blonde lager.

I have the base beer finished, and lagering

Question, should I let the beer lager for a few weeks before transferring to secondary, and adding the berries then
or get a jump start on it, and add them now. and just transfer it to a keg in a few weeks time.

the beer has to be finished by the 22nd of august too, for a party.

I might as well tag onto this thread

I am in the middle of a rasberry blonde lager.

I have the base beer finished, and lagering

Question, should I let the beer lager for a few weeks before transferring to secondary, and adding the berries then
or get a jump start on it, and add them now. and just transfer it to a keg in a few weeks time.

the beer has to be finished by the 22nd of august too, for a party.
Lagers aren't my strong point, but IMO I'd get the raspberries happening now.

HMMMM
would you get it off the yeast cake now too,

This is about the 3rd lager i have done in my life, I am far from educated on the matter

HMMMM
would you get it off the yeast cake now too,

This is about the 3rd lager i have done in my life, I am far from educated on the matter
Yeah I'd throw it into 2ndary... the yeast should still be doing its job hey?
Someone else please add something?

Latest posts

Back