Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secaboy

Reaction score
I have bought a corona pack from my local home brew shop in it it has the Mexican Cerveza and also Gemdex Booster 1 kg plus some hops which i can quite remember which one think it started with a T. Anyway i forgot to do a S.G reading but remembered like an hour in to the fermentation, which read 1040 ( is that correct ). Now 5 days later i do a reading and it's 1000, Should i be worried ??? It look s as tho it's fermenting.

Your thoughts please.

By "looks as tho it's fermenting" I'm going to assume that means the airlock is bubbling. A bubbling airlock is not proof-positive of active fermentation. Let's ignore the airlock for a minute.

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? If not bang it in some 2o deg C water and it should read 1000 if accurate - if it reads something else you should have a piece of paper that came with the hydro that shows you how to correct your readings based on that. The reason I ask is that 1000 sounds really low for a kit beer without dry enzyme (even for one with dry enzyme, in fact).

What temp have you fermented at? If it is a little higher than ideal your beer could very easily be done in five days.

Good luck with it!

Do 3 readings over 3 days, if it doesnt change in SG its probably finished. It won't hurt to leave it in the fermenter for a few days after its finished. Corona is a very thin beer, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it finished that low (although that is a very low FG for most beers)

-Edit- oh and of course as Bum said the higher the temperature of you wort the lower the SG reading is, so stick a thermometer in your sample jar and that little sheet of paper that came with the hydro should have a chart on temperature correction

I have bought a corona pack from my local home brew shop in it it has the Mexican Cerveza and also Gemdex Booster 1 kg plus some hops which i can quite remember which one think it started with a T. Anyway i forgot to do a S.G reading but remembered like an hour in to the fermentation, which read 1040 ( is that correct ). Now 5 days later i do a reading and it's 1000, Should i be worried ??? It look s as tho it's fermenting.

Your thoughts please.

My first thoughts are that you should spend more time articulating your questions.

You bought ingredients for a recipe that you can't remember which had a gravity you're not sure of but it's gone from around 1040 to 1000 and you're unsure if that's good?

If it's really 1000 and it's been that way for some time (2-3 days) then it's probably well finished and no, you shouldn't be worried.

Relax, find out what was in the brew, what the approximate original hydrometer reading should have been, what the approximate stable hydrometer reading is, relax some more and then relax for a bit. Maybe drink some beer during the relaxing period. Then just relax.

It's probably ready for bottling but you may want to find out what's going on before you do your next one.

well since it's been hot over the past few days here in my room, the temp gauge on the wort says between 26-28 degree, and yeh no bubbling in the air lock for some reason, didn't happen on my first brew either.

I also have calibrated the hydrometer and it's workin fine too, maybe i should just keep it in the wort for another 5 more days till i get some more bottles.

My first thoughts are that you should spend more time articulating your questions.

You bought ingredients for a recipe that you can't remember which had a gravity you're not sure of but it's gone from around 1040 to 1000 and you're unsure if that's good?

If it's really 1000 and it's been that way for some time (2-3 days) then it's probably well finished and no, you shouldn't be worried.

Relax, find out what was in the brew, what the approximate original hydrometer reading should have been, what the approximate stable hydrometer reading is, relax some more and then relax for a bit. Maybe drink some beer during the relaxing period. Then just relax.

It's probably ready for bottling but you may want to find out what's going on before you do your next one.

okies i should just relax and have have a few other brews in the mean time ;) will stop in to the brew shop tomorrow and ask a few questions

Relax...relax some more and then relax for a bit. Maybe drink some beer during the relaxing period. Then just relax.

Best advice ever.

The bit that came at the end is a close second.

Secaboy, maybe it is a good idea to tell us what your LHBS is. Some of them (every single one I've ever been in) do not give advice that is worth listening to. See if more experienced brewers think your LHBS dude is worth a pinch.

Sorry. LHBS is Local HomeBrew Shop.

my local is Cooperage Wine & Beer Making Supplies @ Smithfield

I think all the Cerveza on the market (except possibly the Coopers one) come with the dry enzyme either included or built in.
It does sound like you might be brewing a bit hot, but anyway when you use dry enzyme always allow a couple of extra days in the fermenter as the dry enzyme is chopping up big un-fermentable sugars and making smaller fermentable ones, so beers wit dry enzyme often end up over carbonated or worse. Depending on what you add with the kit, dry beers can end up with F.G.'s in the low 9's (I've seen 0.092) tho 0.095-0.098 is more common

And Bum as a LHBS who really works at helping people make better beer up yours

MHB

Very sorry. I know there are great LHBS owners.

I also know they are very few and far between. Sincere apologies to all great LHBS owners and anyone who thinks I'm trying to tar all with the same brush.

I did tell OP to get opinions on his LHBS - suggesting I allow for the possibility that is is ok (?). I'll take the "up yours" regardless, may well deserve it.

Latest posts

Back