Purging oxygen from keg with shaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking about the co2 blanket with logic. If c02 infact was heavier and sat like a blanket what does that mean for us oxygen breathers? Its been a while since i was at school but our air comprises mostly of oxygen nitregon and co2.

But we don't live in an enclosed container, there is no wind or trees in our kegs to obsorb co2 therefore it "settles".
Ps I say this with humour not as a smart arse.

But we don't live in an enclosed container, there is no wind or trees in our kegs to obsorb co2 therefore it "settles".
Ps I say this with humour not as a smart arse.

Then how come beer gas under same conditions doesn't 'settle' or seperate? Am i missing a key difference between nitrogen and oxygen?

And now i get what you were meant by humour. My bad, i thought your emphasis on settles was the humour.

Good idea to fill your keg as close as possible to the bottom of the gas dip tube. I think it was Florian who even cuts his gas dips really short.
Not to scam another litre of beer into the keg but to minimise the headspace so that giving it the CO2 flush will easily eliminate all the O2. I flush for 30 seconds.

I do, as Bribie suggests, fill the keg as close as possible to the gas dip tube.. I just burp the keg a few times after pressurising. As far as I can tell, I've had no problems with oxidising beer yet.. although, my kegs generally only last a week or so, so probably hard to tell.

If you make an empty keg cold and put some co2 into it you can see the gas at the bottom of the keg, when it settles is it mixed with 02, don't know but must be concentrated at the least.

Just thinking about the co2 blanket with logic. If c02 infact was heavier and sat like a blanket what does that mean for us oxygen breathers? Its been a while since i was at school but our air comprises mostly of oxygen nitregon and co2.

From memory (on phone and can't be bothered googling it) it's roughly 78% nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, 1% Argon and 0.1% other (including CO2)

I think the layer concept is in say, open vat fermentation. Or your fermenter when you take the lid off may be OK if there is not a sparrows fart of a breeze to disturb it. The krausen itself is saturated with co2 being the protective layer.
I think it then gets a common misconception that co2 being heavier and O2 be like a layer like oil on top of water which is well and truly a misconception.. Gasses mix very well together.
(sorry don't have the link) but Dr Smurto's link on the controlled experiments on purging an empty keg wont work. Unless you blow through (waste) a shitload of co2 for 30 minutes or more by my vague memory.

Last edited:
Bordering off topic but I have limited o2 exposure to finished beer by pressure fermenting. The O2 is used up or released during the ferment. Never open it!.
Then pressure transfer to a serving keg. The serving keg is purged with co2 by:
Filling the keg completely (I fill with star san) till spill over. (gaol to have zero headspace) Sealing the lid then co2 force the star san solution out of the keg completely. Its a properly co2 purged keg. Don't open it! Then force transfer your beer into it.
$0.02

Last edited:
Climate's a little different to a keg.. namel
Bordering off topic but I have limited o2 exposure to finished beer by pressure fermenting. The O2 is used up or released during the ferment. Never open it!.
Then pressure transfer to a serving keg. The serving keg is purged with co2 by:
Filling the keg completely (I fill with star san) till spill over. (gaol to have zero headspace) Sealing the lid then co2 force the star san solution out of the keg completely. Its a properly co2 purged keg. Don't open it! Then force transfer your beer into it.
$0.02
That's my go-to process mate, my beer doesn't see a single molecule of open air from yeast pitch through to when it is poured from a tap. Not possible with dry hopping unless I get more gear though, since currently I have to open the keg to chuck in the hop bomb.

I do hop stand only as the hop bombs now. I may rarely put a hop bomb sock in the serving keg before filling but only for the rare occasion beer. I put all flowers in a hop sock and in a vacuum sealer bag and suck all the air out of the flowers before adding them to the purged keg pfft. Breaking the rule of never opening etc...:rolleyes:

I think the layer concept is in say, open vat fermentation. Or your fermenter when you take the lid off

This is positive pressure, this one makes sense. Im not sold on co2 blanket in the keg though.

If you make an empty keg cold and put some co2 into it you can see the gas at the bottom of the keg

Sounds like proof of a flat earth to me.

So in purging a keg are you mixing the co2 with o2 or are you pushing out the o2?
Purged kegs are sometimes left for months if not years, so any o2 not enough to effect the beer and or wort?

Best way to 'purge' is to displace the oxygen with water, then displace the water with co2. The questions i have about this practice though, is oxygen forced out of the water when pushing it out? If so is it significant?

Latest posts

Back