Problems with a Counter Pressure bottle cooler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
img_20190224_104200-jpg.614572

All goes well until the foam gets into the overflow valve then filling sticks and becomes eratic. It's as if the foam it's self is blocking the overflow valve, I can get it going by opening and closing the overflow and beer valves but it's just not right.

It seems as if I'll need to change the overflow valve, but I don't know which type to get

Any suggestions as to how I might fix this?

Thanks All. Aamcle

What pressure are you filling at? Could try lowering it to reduce the foam.

You need a little more pressure than the beer co2 level for bottling and general transfering, that keeps the dissolved co2 from coming out to play.

I tried various pressures all worked up to the point where foam, there is always some, enters the valve. My current theory is that the foam has enough structure to disrupt the flow as the path inside the valve is very narrow so I have modified the valve.

The cone still shuts off the flow and seals the valve but I reduced the diameter of the shaft above the cone to open out the flow path.

Unfortunately it be a month or so before I can text it.

Atb. Aamcle

AAmcle

Yeah I came to the conclusion that the foam’s structure inhibited the flow. But...

You should be able to fill without getting foam into the valve.

I had some terrible results with the cpbf until I started taking seriously the balance between diameter, length and pressure.

When properly balanced the problem is not enough foam (I.e. not capping on foam).

I need to give the top of the beer a squirt with co2 to overcome this. (Usually carbonated to 15 PSI @ 2C.)

I tried various pressures all worked up to the point where foam, there is always some, enters the valve. My current theory is that the foam has enough structure to disrupt the flow as the path inside the valve is very narrow so I have modified the valve.

The cone still shuts off the flow and seals the valve but I reduced the diameter of the shaft above the cone to open out the flow path.

Unfortunately it be a month or so before I can text it.

Atb. Aamcle

AAmcle

If you have a coke bottle and a carbonation cap you could test earlier ;)

Latest posts

Back