Problems using Kegerator for fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadey

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wanted to get some feedback on my process and possible suggestions from those who may also be using their kegerator for fermenting. Basically this is my process, I will pose some questions as well:

1) I usually have only one or two kegs on tap at any one time.
2) to get another brew done I basically have to take the kegs out and leave them in the garage to use the kergerator to ferment in. That's a pain and I don't think it does the beer in the kegs any good, so not ideal.
3) when fermenting is done I put the kegs back in and this keeps my going for a while.

Ideally I would get a separate fridge to ferment in and these problems go away but that's not an option.

What I'm thinking is that I will have to do three brews in a row and be without beer on tap for say 6 weeks, then load up the kegerator with three kegs.

Anyway I'm curious as to what other brewers are doing and given I have to store the kegs at warm temps what's the best way to do this and not spoil the beer?

Cheers folks, look forward to getting some help

Wadey

simple and you know the answer

get another ferment fridge....

consider getting one that fits 2 or 3 jerry cans and ferment enough for 3 kegs at once

Why cant you get another fridge? If its space then maybe you could use a bar fridge. If Its power usage then youll find a ferm fridge will use bugger all power with an stc.

I'm hearing you guys. Probably the best solution. Any suggestions on what type of bar fridge is suitable?

Buy another kegerator without the font set. It's a fabulous all purpose beer fridge and will hold:

Any size FV up to a 60L
Two "square" no chill cubes on top of each other
A FV and a keg for cold conditioning
Three kegs, as you know

For less than $500 you won't get anything as good value from the Good Guys.

brewery.jpg

Edit: looking at the fermenting kegerator in the picture as you can see you can also use it for real proper lagering, it will actually go down to -1 C
You can get various control boards in the things, I find the best one is the -1 to 8 and run it on a Fridgmate for fermenting temperatures.

Great setup Bribie G. Two side by side looks great too. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it has to be another fridge, might see what Ross has in stock.

cheers

Still $499, both of mine came from Ross. I note that the circuit board on the current stock does -4 to 28 degrees so you wouldn't need a Fridgemate or STC1000 unless you want to be a temperature Nazi.

Latest posts

Back