Problem With The Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I am in the process of building my mash tun, and went to bunnings to buy a metre long easy hooker, but all they had was some 300mm, :angry: so I thought for the sake of the exercise, Id buy one to see if the tun functioned correctly.

I have hooked it all up, and decided to give the tun a clean, and a test run, to see how the tap, pickup and braided hose worked. After putting some water in the tun, I noticed that the water ran out slowly, and basically stopped once the water level dropped below the tap. :unsure:

Is there something Im missing? Is the tap too high? Or is it just the length of the braided hose???

Any ideas?? All suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,
Jase

Tap_small.JPG Inside_1_small.JPG

Attachments

• Inside_2_small.JPG
    Inside_2_small.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 36
Stupid question Jase. Did you have some racking hose on the barb pouring below the level of the keg?

Siphon breaks otherwise. ;)

Warren -

Thats the shortest hose ive ever seen but I dont think this has anything to do with the flow stopping when it gets below the level of the tap. How do you expect the water to get up into to the pipe? Build a little step ladder and hoick each other up to get through the pipe? ;) Im sure theres no way around it apart from tilting the actual keg. The tap doesnt look as though it could go any lower. I would be having the braid the whole width of the keg though.
Cheers
Steve

There is not much you can do to avoid that problem with that type of mash tun gravity fed solution. You would need a pump and a siphon tube to be able to suck up the rest of the liquid.

Steve

Shouldn't matter as long as the siphon pipe inside Jase's keg is sealed correctly (so siphon does not break) and he's got a hose on the end of the ballvalve running below the keg to the next vessel (in tier/gravity fashion) it should work like a siphon and drain all the way to the bottom.

Warren -

I am in the process of building my mash tun, and went to bunnings to buy a metre long easy hooker, but all they had was some 300mm, :angry: so I thought for the sake of the exercise, Id buy one to see if the tun functioned correctly.

If there is nothing in the plumbing section check out where they keep the bathroom fitting etc that where I got my 2m length.

I suspect you have an air leak where your pick up tube attaches to the compression fitting and goes through the wall of the keg. Warren has pretty much nailed it, but that's where I'd look.

1. you need to have it siphoning.

2. you can't have an air leak in the system

Dunno Justin. I'm waiting for Jase to fess up and say he had no racking hose on the barb/ballvalve. Wouldn't be the first (including myself) who's fallen for that one before. :lol: :lol:

Warren -

LOL, you could be right on that one too.

The man who gets water to flow up hill will be a wealthy man indeed ;)

The dip tube on my HLT had an air leak for ages (just couldn't be bothered to fix it) so mine wouldn't draw water past the top of the compression fitting. I have no diptube in it now :D

Dunno Justin. I'm waiting for Jase to fess up and say he had no racking hose on the barb/ballvalve. Wouldn't be the first (including myself) who's fallen for that one before.
Warren -

I must admit that I didn't :huh: :blink: :ph34r: ...... Glad I'm not the only one to make such a stupid mistake. I'll give it a bash this arvo.

Cheers,
Jase

:lol: :lol: Knew it!! I actually completely pulled my boiler plumbing apart in frustration once after doing this.

Without any hose running lower than the liquid level it won't drain. Just think of trying to siphon from one container to another when they're both at the same level. ;) The liquid needs to run downhill to maintain the flow if you know what I mean.

Don't worry it'll work this time. Trust me you won't fall for it again. :blink:

Warren -

GOLD!! And the million $$ prize goes to the man in the silly hat -oh ok and with a beer in hand too (that's you Warren ;)).

Nice work Warren and well spotted.

If there is nothing in the plumbing section check out where they keep the bathroom fitting etc that where I got my 2m length.
[/quote]

Jase - Jye is right on the above. At Campbelltown Bunnings the braided hose is in the bathroom / hotwater section. About aisle 36 as I recall.

You will also find that a good bed of grist will also aid in the MLT drainage.

Cheers, Hogan.

edit: quote.

Forget that, this is what I did. Got the false bottom from ESB and got Mark from MHB to bend up the copper pipe and I pull 80% eff. every time.

STEPHEN

DCP01011.JPG

PS.
As the fitting pokes thru the mesh to within 5mm from the bottom I pick up all but 500 mls of wort. I love it.

Forget that, this is what I did. Got the false bottom from ESB and got Mark from MHB to bend up the copper pipe and I pull 80% eff. every time.

STEPHEN

The SS false bottoms do a great job.

Latest posts

Back