Problem With The Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warren and SJW, have you bolted down your false bottoms or is the plumbing enough to keep them in place when you drop in the mash?

There's nothing worse than a floating false bottom...!

That kinda sounds rude.

Jase,
I wouldn't worry too much. That last bit in the pot is pretty solid grain bed and what liquor is still there should be pretty well washed out.

I think you are going to find all grain brewing a bit difficult mate. :)

Cheers mate. You're a champion!!!

Just an update. Got home and connected the braided hose on the Mash Tun tap. Had the braided hose that I'll be using for AG already connected onto the March pump. After filling with some water, I noticed that the same thing was occuring with the hose connected.

I think that the easy hooker braid might be too small. So when I get a chance, I'll grab a large easy hooker, and connect it to a tee fitting, and see how I go.

Thanks to all the guys who provided positive feedback, and gee this capped off a wonderful day, yesterday, but I'm glad that I could provide everyone with a laugh for the day.

Cheers,
Jase

My braid loop manifold works well. In an effort to chase higher efficiency I tried a variety of manifolds, copper, PVC and straight braid (want to try false bottom next). Had a problem with straight braid, if the tap was fully opened the braid collapsed stopping the lauter. Am now back to a loop of braid connected to a T connector, high flow does not seem to collapse it, guess it must be related to lower pressure due to the two outlets connected to the braid.

Screwtop,
I stopped my braid from collapsing by winding a spiral of stainless wire (I used welding wire) and fitting it inside the braid. It gave it a good solid feel.

I am with Warren and SJW.
False bottoms are easy.
False bottoms don't float up due to the fittings and the several kilos of grain on top.
Chris

false.jpg

false2.jpg

Back