Privatise Australia Post?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it is also seen as an essential public service. And whats wrong with the government taking a continual dividend year after year.

But then again, privatising electricity in Victoria was stunning succes.

I think it's true that privatisation is generally a policy most of the public don't like - though sometimes they're more prepared to accept it than others.

If the Libs really do privatise Auspost, they'd probably choose to do it at the beginning of a term of government rather than at the end - so that by the time they're ready for another election they have lots of cash to hand out to folks they want to bribe persuade to vote for them again.

OzPaleAle said:
It seems a bit of a weird arrangement that they make in the hundreds of millions of $ profit, I'm not sure their job is to make big profits, maybe some of those profits could be directed to opening hour extensions or postie wet weather gear that is actually waterproof unlike the current offering..... They were generous this year though, all the staff got a box of 100 stamps for a christmas bonus....
Australia Post has been running at a loss for years. Their letter delivering service is the money sink, they delivered 1 billion fewer letters in 2013 than in 2008

peas_and_corn said:
Australia Post has been running at a loss for years. Their letter delivering service is the money sink, they delivered 1 billion fewer letters in 2013 than in 2008
I dont think so - a company that turns a profit like theirs should be envied. Id buy shares in it!

From the Annual Report "In 2012/13 Australia Post achieved a group profit of $312 million after tax - a 10.9 per cent increase on the previous year - and, as a result, will deliver a $244 million dividend to the Australian Government"

Ridiculous to privatise it.
Any benefits/savings gained from a more efficient operation will be soaked up in the owner skimming profits.
Austpost already do a good job, generally speaking.
It's a good money generator for the government/public-purse, and will continue to do so for many generations.
It's an asset owned by Every. Australian. Citizen. -- how on earth can a small group of politicians/bureaucrats decide to sell it off???
And what do you think is going to be done with the money? Sure some might go into some sort of long-term infrastructure, but most will be soaked up in transient expenses/wages.
So how much benefit will we see in 20 years time, as opposed to continuing own the asset that will still be paying big dividends that our grandchildren will benefit from.
I might feel a bit differently about it if it actually made any long-term economic sense; or the if service was so bad that it needed an overhaul the government couldn't perform.
I find it highly offensive that a great, permanently high-earning, public asset can be sold for such a short term gain that is partly/largely going to be used for political capital. The only thing i might find more disappointing is the lack of opposition in the general public

Sorry for the rant, but (as stated) it's a ridiculous proposal.

Actually, given it doesn't make economic sense, it honestly makes you wonder what agenda the Abbott government is pursuing to explain this proposal?...

The want to sell it and blame it on Labor cause they created a budget emergancy that needed the procedes of the sale to fix.

Simple really.

technobabble66 said:
Ridiculous to privatise it.
Any benefits/savings gained from a more efficient operation will be soaked up in the owner skimming profits.
Austpost already do a good job, generally speaking.
It's a good money generator for the government/public-purse, and will continue to do so for many generations.
It's an asset owned by Every. Australian. Citizen. -- how on earth can a small group of politicians/bureaucrats decide to sell it off???
And what do you think is going to be done with the money? Sure some might go into some sort of long-term infrastructure, but most will be soaked up in transient expenses/wages.
So how much benefit will we see in 20 years time, as opposed to continuing own the asset that will still be paying big dividends that our grandchildren will benefit from.
I might feel a bit differently about it if it actually made any long-term economic sense; or the if service was so bad that it needed an overhaul the government couldn't perform.
I find it highly offensive that a great, permanently high-earning, public asset can be sold for such a short term gain that is partly/largely going to be used for political capital. The only thing i might find more disappointing is the lack of opposition in the general public

Sorry for the rant, but (as stated) it's a ridiculous proposal.

Actually, given it doesn't make economic sense, it honestly makes you wonder what agenda the Abbott government is pursuing to explain this proposal?...
These are all valid points, but lets not forget that the OP needed a 3kg satchel on a Saturday arvo once and he copped a lot of long queues. Obviously privatisation would fix these problems........unless of course most AUS post shops were already franchises and I'd imagine that up to a point these issues could be resolved by the existing franchise owners without privatisation if said franchisee weren't dealing with the issues all customer service based small business' face.

Edit: no sarcasm font.

I think that should it be up for sale then the government would retain a substantial share as in the U.K.
Australia seems to follow leads by the U.K, whereas 30% is retained by the government, what has to be considered is with emails and private parcel deliveries how much of a cash cow is it going to be in the near future.
Stu, it is a fact of life that a liberal governments have to come in and try to get us out of the shit that a previous labour governments has got us into, how many times does it have to happen before people realise.

Yeah Stu....must put a sig in that says "above post dripping with sarcasm" would make life easier.

A point to remember.... USPS hasn't made a profit since president Abraham Lincoln was in office, the last financial year they only made a US 5 billion $$$ loss!!! The best result in 20 years!!! The year before was $15.6 billion loss

Aus post in comparison to other countries is doing great!! How long was the stamp at 45c?? And they still made money?

No need to stress, Aus post is doing ok, privatisation is not a good thing, prices will rise... No question at all!

Ducatiboy stu said:
Shame I wasnt being sarcastic.
Yep, I know.........Sarcasm I was talking about was in my post, talking about the OP's issues and the reality of Aus post's shop fronts, I'm well aware of how they work....I require a sarcasm font for a large portion of my posts and I demand admin do something about it now.

I'll have a rant about it in the newly made ranting (or: "I don't have the Facebook and piss on it whenever possible but need an online forum to air my gripes") thread.........

Maybe we should get banks to open on ssturdays. Maybe we could get them to open before 10:00am and after 4:00pm

Ducatiboy stu said:
Maybe we should get banks to open on ssturdays. Maybe we could get them to open before 10:00am and after 4:00pm
<insert sarcasm font> No, that won't do, they're doing it tough enough as it is. I won't support anything that hurts a struggling industry. <end sarcasm fault>

Yeah. Got to feel sorry for our banks. There just not making enough money.

Latest posts

Back