Pride Of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YES or NO to POR

• I have used POR and like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used POR and Don't like it.

• 3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it.

• 4.I have never used it, but feel compelled to bag it because its an aussie hop and not an import or&

• Total voters
i was one of those six! now i've purchased a bag of POR and i'm ready to hop with it!
fired up promash and it suggests 16.7g @ 10.9aa for 60 minutes to achieve 26IBU's
on a standard 23L batch

is this correct? it sounds like such a little amount of hops to add

Cheers Rob.

yep that sounds right ,just round it up to an even 17.

Good to see a convert,and an adventurous spirit ;)

Awesome Thanks guys just used to using like 40g of cascade hops to achieve that,
its going to take me 6 batches to get through this bag so if i havent perfected it by then.........

i guess a bonus is it works out alot cheaper and you get less wasted wort at the end of the boil

Rob.

Awesome Thanks guys just used to using like 40g of cascade hops to achieve that,
its going to take me 6 batches to get through this bag so if i havent perfected it by then.........

i guess a bonus is it works out alot cheaper and you get less wasted wort at the end of the boil

Rob.

I use Green Bullet in a similar fashion. Although, I am always remembering advice I received from someone at G&G that I need to be quite careful with wort volumes, hop quantities and boil times as with really potent hops a small mistake can be magnified a lot more than with the wimpier hops...

View attachment 11500I have just started using hops, and 'pride of ringwood' is my first.
LOved the smell. It was a t-bag dry hopped.

mmmmm not sure if POR is the perfect hop for dry hopping. It will be fine but with Dry hopping, you are after a fine arroma in the beer and thats what POR lacks im affraid.

great for bittering and a bit latter in the boil but go for East Kent Golgings or something like that for dry hopping.

What did you use it in?

it was a KK recipe it consists off:

Black Rock dry lager
1kg dextrose
POR dry hopped

filled to 23 ltres
brewing at 20*

Suppose to be clone of TED, I know, I know, cats piss, :blink:

Just want something that rips the guts out! :eek:
also had dry enzyme that came with can.

how would PoR go dryhopped in an Aus Pale Ale?

From all the documentation I've read it really doesn't impart any aroma or flavour. Then again I've only ever used it for bittering as a result of my reading.

If I use POR, I usually use it to provide the bulk of the bittering if not all of it, and then use something I really like the flavour of for the last of the bittering and all of the aroma, ie: POR for the 60 minute boil, and then some hallertau pacific at 30 mins to mellow the biterness out a bit, and then the aroma hops somewhere between 10 mins & flameout to provide the aroma I'm looking for over the top of the POR.
This way I end up with the bitterness I require without massive amounts of hop trub (as I do when hop completely with hallertau or similar lower AA hop) but I do end up with in the very least the POR 'diluted' as such, and not quite as overpowering as I tend to find it by itself.
It's cheaper that bittering completely with most other hops as well of course. That has a bit to do with it..... :)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot I'd already said my bit on this...... oh well. Now you've got some more.....:)

I've dry hopped with POR in a Coopers Pale Ale before. Not bad, nothing overly good either. Its a very subtle aroma unlike the ales i have dry hopped with cascade or amarillo! Use it earlier in the boil and its fine.

I'm waiting for my megalager-inspired POR-bittered light ale to be ready to find out exactly what a POR-only brew will taste like.

My money's on boring. It only has a bittering addition of POR.

Hey there Shamus,

the POR around at the moment seems especially fragrant, much more so than past years, give it a whirl and see what you think.

Happy Brewing,

Keith

said it before and will say it again.

Use POR in fresh whole flowers. I personly find them much more aromatic and smoother to boot.

cheers

Hey there Shamus,

the POR around at the moment seems especially fragrant, much more so than past years, give it a whirl and see what you think.

If POR was a racehorse it would have a good chance of taking out the Melbourne Cup !

It was bred from a cross with Pride of Kent which is a relative of East Kent Goldings. So it is worth trying it just as an Aroma hop.

It is actually fairly poor bittering hop due to its high cohumulone level that gives it a harsh bitterness.

Cheers,
David

Fresh POR has a fantastic aroma, pellets or flowers - But it doesn't keep too well & turns quite "cheesy" if stored badly.

cheers Ross

Time to give POR a bit of a workout :p . Been threatning to do this one for a while...maybe one for the flowerbed, but who knows...

POR Summer Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.4 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 9.6 %
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (15 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (10 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (5 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
45.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (CraftBrewer #US-56) Yeast-Ale
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 31.2 IBU
Est Color: 8.4 EBC

You a sick man Ross. :blink:

You should call it Wet Dog Summer Ale. :D

Warren -

I seem to remember the concensus was if you use it don't go more than about 20IBU's as you are inclined to get a harsh bitterness.

Could be another of those homebrew myths, but I put it out there for what it's worth.

I have used it to good effect within these limits as well as the Tassie hop Pride Plus

Cheers

Look forward to the report on your new brew Ross, this should be a good test

Wow , great to see this thread revived again,Irony is i hav'nt used POR in 12 months or more :rolleyes:
Maybe time to get me some.

Ross ,maybe you could post some notes here and anyone who samples your beer could input as well.I'd be most interested to hear.

Hey,

Mothing wrong with pride of Ringworms. Just make sure they are fresh. Funky POR are NASTY (they donot store well either. 12 months maximum)

Nice aroma if they are fresh too.

cheers

Darren

Back