Pride Of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YES or NO to POR

• I have used POR and like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used POR and Don't like it.

• 3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it.

• 4.I have never used it, but feel compelled to bag it because its an aussie hop and not an import or&

• Total voters
Time to give POR a bit of a workout :p . Been threatning to do this one for a while...maybe one for the flowerbed, but who knows...

POR Summer Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.4 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 9.6 %
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (15 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (10 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (5 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
45.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (CraftBrewer #US-56) Yeast-Ale
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 31.2 IBU
Est Color: 8.4 EBC
Ross, you're making a summer ale in April !..mmmm....I guess it's always summer in Queensland :rolleyes:

Hi,

only had 2 experiences with POR.

The first was one of those hop tea bags which I soaked in boiling water for 10 mins and added to a Coopers Sparkling Ale kit which was made to the recommended recipe with a recultured CSA yeast. It was quite disappointing actually, with a really strong taste that I didn't like.

The second usage was in an AG brew - a real simple aussie pale ale (100% JW ale, POR at 60 mins and 15 mins to 26IBU). This is now in the bottle a few weeks and is an excellent easy drinking beer in the style of a Coopers Pale Ale. I will happily tweak this recipe and reuse it with the POR for a good session beer in the future. I used hop pellets but maybe I will look for fresh flowers in future to see if that improves it further.

cheers,

Andrei

Hey,

Mothing wrong with pride of Ringworms. Just make sure they are fresh. Funky POR are NASTY (they donot store well either. 12 months maximum)

Nice aroma if they are fresh too.

cheers

Darren

I made a brew with, shall we say, not so fresh home grown POR flowers.
I have had better tasting infections than the resultant POR beer!!
And that is the only time I have used them.

C&B
TDA

Time to give POR a bit of a workout :p . Been threatning to do this one for a while...maybe one for the flowerbed, but who knows...

POR Summer Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.4 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 9.6 %
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (15 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (10 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (5 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
45.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.50%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (CraftBrewer #US-56) Yeast-Ale
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 31.2 IBU
Est Color: 8.4 EBC

When you give a hop a workout you really do give it a workout Ross
I would be interested to sample this one.

Batz

Fresh POR has a fantastic aroma, pellets or flowers - But it doesn't keep too well & turns quite "cheesy" if stored badly.

cheers Ross
thanks Ross. They're the pellets I bought from you about 2 weeks ago. They've been opend but have been inthe freezer in ziplock bag. To use them for aroma would it be best to dry when I rack, steep for 10mins then put in when I rack or steep and put in primary fermenter?

thanks Ross. They're the pellets I bought from you about 2 weeks ago. They've been opend but have been inthe freezer in ziplock bag. To use them for aroma would it be best to dry when I rack, steep for 10mins then put in when I rack or steep and put in primary fermenter?

Don't steep!!! - Hops do not need soaking in hot water before adding to your brew.
I like to add either to secondary, or in my case as I don't rack any beer, I add to primary once the main ferment subsides - This is when the gravity drops below 1020, where I add my dry hops & lift the temp a few degrees to finish.

cheers Ross

About time Ross ;0

Look forward to tasting it. Do an Australian IPA after that (60+ IBU). Would be awesome with a Vindaloo.

An all POR IPA? Could be interesting to say the least.

I did a POR IPA once -
60g POR pellets at 60min
12g Fuggles pellets at 15mins
4.5kg Light Malt Extract
500g Crystal
Safale S-04

The POR was quite harsh for the first couple of months, but now the sweetness of the crystal and malt extract balances it out much more. Still not quite one for the ladies though...

Only one bottle left :)

What is the purpose of using salt in the boil?

And no I don't use POR but hey, I'm willing to have a burl if I can get some fresh flowers...

Brings out the hop flavour, but must be used sparingly - I add 1 teaspoon to most brews.

most brews? So its only something you'd use where you want the hop flavour then? So for e.g you probly wouldn't use it in a stout or hefeweizen is that right?
Cheers

Back