Pride Of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YES or NO to POR

• I have used POR and like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used POR and Don't like it.

• 3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it.

• 4.I have never used it, but feel compelled to bag it because its an aussie hop and not an import or&

• Total voters

Mr Bond

Reaction score
I have used POR now for some years and find it to be an excellent bittering hop if used in reasonable moderation. 30 IBU.

Many people seem to be quick to bag and denigrate it.

Is this because you have used and didn't like it or is it just from a populist conception that all aussie beers use it(ie Macro/mega swill) and they taste shite so it's gotta be POR.
Most HB'ers like Coopers,and POR is a mainstay of their most popular beers "Sparkling and Pale".

So come on fess up and post your vote in the poll and reasons for or against this much maligned hop.

Yours in curiosity ...Brauluver.

**punctuation only (on EDIT)

I like my POR if used under 30 IBU's, in fact my house ale (CPA) is 100% POR and everyone loves it. I have 2kilo of POR flowers in my freezer :p so I must like it.

Cheers
Andrew

I use it but it doesn't thrill me up hugely. There are other hops I like a lot more.

I don't mind POR. I keep flowers in the freezer at all times as it's an excellent bittering hop up to 20-25 IBU.

I don't use it for aroma or flavour. Although I don't ~hate~ it, I prefer other hops over POR, so I use them for that. Voted "Like it" but it comes with those conditions.

My views are prejudiced by one experience really.

My second foray into all grain brewing was an attempted Aussie amber ale, which I bittered to about 40IBU :eek:

My lips have rarely been so puckered.

Might be time to get some back into the brew kettle, but I am just a little wary.

wee stu said:
My views are prejudiced by one experience really.

My second foray into all grain brewing was an attempted Aussie amber ale, which I bittered to about 40IBU :eek:

My lips have rarely been so puckered.

Might be time to get some back into the brew kettle, but I am just a little wary.
[post="110987"][/post]​

40 ibu with POR :excl: I'm not surprised.
I'd only attempt that with a lo cohumulone type (simcoe/ammarillo ...etc...)
27/30 IBU's is my max with these babies.
maybe try em again and shoot 4, 25/27 ibu's @ 60 min plus another 10/12 IBU's @ 30 min of your fave flave hop addition.Along with a nice solid base of munich/pale plus crystal you should get a crispy clean and subtle bitterness to compliment the specialty grains.

I agree that it is a decent bittering hop if used at ~20IBU. I once made the mistake of using it as an aroma hop. I got that dirty megaswill odour.

I haved used POR as a bitter hop and then light additions for aroma/flavour and the crew at partys (yes mega swill drinkers - LOVED it) and i thought it was nice also - coopers wanna be clone

so i think its more in the head, that its really a bad hop. again i wouldn;t bitter to over 27ibu etc but otherwise its fine! not the best but not bad

yes.... yes..... YES

I had an Aussie Pale Ale get a first in class at last years NSW state brewing champs and 4th in class at the Australian national championships.

Nothing but JW ale malt, a bit of JW wheat and good old POR!!!

Its not the ingredients that spoil a good brew but poor methods of production and un-ballanced formulation.

just my 2 bobs worth.

cheers

I use it but like any hop,used out of style and your not going to be thrilled with the results.

Aussie Ale..it's POR, yes I brew Aussie Ales as well

Batz

I love them. Woody, earthy and nutty.

Their flavour and aroma is better than their bitterness (doesn't remind me of bone dry sulphitic mega brew though) but I have pushed home-grown POR to the test in a 1.080 all-grain Wyeast 1007 IR Stout - 80g for bitterness, 30g at 15min, 30g at f'out and 30g 2 weeks dry hop.

The beer glass had lupulin resin clinging to the foam!

The aroma was like humus or decayed sleepers, just brilliant.

tdh

Thomas, you are an extremist :excl: I knew i could count on you ;)

I have never purchased them but my home hop plant is a POR.

I got about 14 gms last year from the plant and made an experimental brew to see what they were like and if I could determine/guess what AA they may be.

It was just and extract brew and was ok.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...wn%20hop%20beer

Looks like I will have a bit more when I harvest this year so i will make an Aussie Ale.

johnno

MVC_007F.JPG

Sure that's hops Johnno?

Looks like something you would have on toast with lots of honey to me

Batz :ph34r:

Batz said:
Sure that's hops Johnno?

Looks like something you would have on toast with lots of honey to me

Batz :ph34r:
[post="111044"][/post]​

I'm still trying to figure out what you have that looks like that with lots of honey :lol:

Apologies to go off topic a bit, but it is still about POR.

This was my gigantic harvest last year before drying.

Even thogh this was a test extract brew in a 19 litre pot with no ball valve at the time one good thing I noticed about using whole fresh flowers was how easy they were to manage.
Not like at all like the sludge that is left behind when using pellets.

johnno

MVC_011F.JPG

Looks great Johnno

I hope to grow some later this year

Batz

if you realy want to try POR at its best, try mash hopping or FWH, the neysayers will be surprissed

i think it's the skanky part of CPA i don't think i like
reminds me of WED, TED, whatever, all the same stuff
it's the cumin of the beer world, the dirty sock in the curry

ozbrewer said:
if you realy want to try POR at its best, try mash hopping or FWH, the neysayers will be surprissed
[post="111056"][/post]​

Agreed !

Or try NZ Green Bullet instead...now I've started something

Batz

i voted #3 but have not shyed away from them.just never got around to trying them due to my quest to try most other varieties.i will use por one day soon im sure.

cheers
big d

ps.if there is a huge surge in buying por i bet the price goes up from u-know who who remains silent when asked fess up was it you. :blink:

Back