Pride Of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YES or NO to POR

• I have used POR and like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used POR and Don't like it.

• 3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it.

• 4.I have never used it, but feel compelled to bag it because its an aussie hop and not an import or&

• Total voters
I've used por in my kits when going through an aussie-style beer thing ages ago, but when I began doing more european/american brews I haven't touched it. There is a roughness to it that just doesn't go in beers I like drinking (maybe I don't work outside often enough to enjoy it...). Mind you I did brew a Morgan's draught using POR and other bits and it came out really nicely. But then for that real bitter taste I think I'd swing towards the NZ green bullet or super alpha...
POR is but one of MANY hops though, so I might end up using it again for a future aussie pale ale..so even though it's not my favourite I think it definitely has its rightful place.
Bazza

Personally I think this whole "only bitter with PoR up to 20-odd IBUs" thing is rubbish.

I've gone to about 80IBUs and I think it performed very well. I agree it isn't the cleanest bittering hop, but clean doesn't necessarily equate to good in my book. I think it's really good for English-style ales because of the earthy character it gives.

I suspect a lot of people have bad experiences with it because it has such a bad reputation, so it might not move as quickly as other hop varieties. (Not that I have any real experience on this topic.)

Despite this, I only rarely use PoR. And my home-grown ones taste quite different to the commercial crop. Mine taste more Belgian.

NO answer to suit me:

I have never used POR but will be in the coming weeks for the first time.

Will only use for bitter and will add no flavour additons at all. Bittering to 25 in a pale ale.

I used POR in my second last AG brew - aussie ale type thing, bittered to 27. The day I kegged it, I was less than impressed - but now three weeks on it has aged brilliantly, and now its very good.

The only problem with all these good beers on tap is I keep drinking them!

On a funny note, I bought a siz pack of caronas last night - they are now like water to me!

funny stuff

M

POR can make great beer, I like it at around 25IBU's as a first addition.

Made some beers with POR all the way, the result is a great stepping stone for introducing swill drinkers towards fuller flavoured beer. I find giving them an APA straight away can be a bit too much for them. Soon their taste developes and they join us on the path of doom!

I like POR for most Australian Ales. It also works well with other finnishing hops like Cascade or Williamette IMHO.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Jazzafish said:
. It also works well with other finnishing hops like Cascade or Williamette IMHO.

Cheers,
Jarrad
[post="111089"][/post]​

totally agree Jazza.My next apa is going to be POR@ 60 min to 35 IBU
Challenger@ 15 min flava
Cascade @f/out aroma

should be interesting, GO THE POR

Nothing quite as nice as fresh POR. Stale ones though are shocking (remember POR has poor storage life < 1 year)

cheers
Darren

Yep - Last brew
20.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [12.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.70%] (30 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.70%] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.70%] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.70%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.70%] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.70%] (0 min) Hops -

Bittered to about 36 IBUs - last brew of similiar fame used chinook and I was than less than impressed !!!

Cheers
JSB

now if you want to try something realy special, mix POR with Hallertau, that is 2 hops that for some reason go realy well together

Tangent wrote - >i think it's the skanky part of CPA i don't think i like
reminds me of WED, TED, whatever, all the same stuff
it's the cumin of the beer world, the dirty sock in the curry<

I can't blame any sort of hopping on the ordinary flavours of CPA, WED or TED, cos there ain't none!

If there was any sort of hint of hop flavour, hop aroma or even bitterness then these beers would be classed as 'boutique premium' by the marketing dept. and they'd be half decent!!!

POR is used by the big boys cos they are run by accountants, POR is grown here, is cheap and they only want 20-25 IBU's. They've saved money again.

Fresh well stored or even home grown POR is great.

Do yourself a favour...

tdh

Has anyone used Pride Plus whats it like compared to POR ???

sintax69 said:
Has anyone used Pride Plus whats it like compared to POR ???
[post="111109"][/post]​

its very similar, a little more citrusy in larger amounts

I have played with pride plus and super prides, found both a little harsh, I think that for the whole POR family, if you have a good evaporation rate and let most of the undesirable volatiles out, they are all fine bittering hops.

I like POR as a bittering hop, and as a taste addition 10-15 minutes from the end it fits an Ozy pale ale, super and plus both left what I thought was an almost medicinal after taste when used as a taste addition.

Having said all that I would use Goldings for taste.

MHB

ozbrewer said:
now if you want to try something realy special, mix POR with Hallertau, that is 2 hops that for some reason go realy well together
[post="111099"][/post]​

Yet to use POR in any of my brews but will try the above :) as i love Hallertau.
I worked in a well known Qld brewery years ago [as did Tidalpete] and the smell was great at first but reminded me of work :blink: and it was hard work then except for the two free pots at lunch time and again after work :) does not happen now WH&S would freak.

I have tried experimenting with the POR flavour and aroma end of things (never bittered too high) and found I quite like it.

BTW I spent an afternoon googling and talking to the Ringwood Historical Society and found a few historical facts about Pride of Ringwood.

3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it. [ 6 ] [15.79%

So are any of you 6 guys/gals tempted to try POR now? :eek:

I have to agree with the POR/Hallertau combo.

I used this combo in my Mash Paddle entry last year and it came in 4th ;) It had a great taste and aroma.

I did brew it with WLP004 irish ale though and it didnt work to well for the beers style.

A dry english ale yeast would have been better.

Like POR flowers over pellets too, they are just better.

Going to do some experimenting with POR/Cluster combo soon with some WLP001.

cheers

I'm a three. Yep, I'll be giving it a try sometime this year. I've still got quite a bit of NZ Hallertau left and will have more come May with the OCB bulk buy. So POR for bittering and Hall for flavour and aroma? Other way round? Any which way?

I have just used some Super Pride @ 14% A/A, in a Dark Ale for the first time. I have some NZ Pacific Gem that are also over 14%, can anybody give me any info on these?
James

I got some homegrown flowers from Grumpy Thomas a few years ago and used them in my third all grain beer. GT didn't have an alpha rating for them so I used 30grams for bittering in an Aussie Ale, it was horridly bitter! :eek:

C&B
TDA

Back