Pride Of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YES or NO to POR

• I have used POR and like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used POR and Don't like it.

• 3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it.

• 4.I have never used it, but feel compelled to bag it because its an aussie hop and not an import or&

• Total voters
I made a beer some time ago with POR at 45 mins 15 mins and flame out to 25 IBU IIRC and it wasn't to bad at all.
The hop flavour was a lot smoother than what you would achieve with a single 60 min addition.
I might even search out the recipe and do it again.

Cheers

I made a beer some time ago with POR at 45 mins 15 mins and flame out to 25 IBU IIRC and it wasn't to bad at all.
The hop flavour was a lot smoother than what you would achieve with a single 60 min addition.
I might even search out the recipe and do it again.

Cheers

If you do ,I would be interested in seeing it!

My plan for the POR IPA was to go up to 40 IBU's with 1/2 gm per litre each for flava and aroma.

I am prepared for little longer conditioning to let it smooth/round out , but hoping that the gutsier malt profile will balance it out nicely.

i was waiting for a bite on the POR thing :)

took a couple of weeks :)

I still love it.

I used it in conjunction with pacific hallertau (NZ) in an aussie pale ale and it was one of the best beers i have made. VEry drinkable!

I much prefer the flowers over pellets. I will be giving the pellets a go again soon though after i ordered POR flowers from ross and got pellets.

will make a pale ale with 100% IMC ale malt and bittered all the way with POR, some FWH, some 45 min and a bit at flame out for the hell of it.

cheers

pacific hallertau (NZ)
i reckon that's a cracker of a hop anyway Tony :beerbang:

thanks to BL Dave for pushing us again and again on his damn POR bandwagon ;)

I brewed an coopers clone a year or so ago and it came out terrible however I cannot be sure it was the hops. I still had the rest of my POR in the freezer so last week decided to try again, I made a vienna lager with POR at 60 mins (17IBU's Worth) then a second addition of tettang at 15 mins making a total of 23 IBU.

Here's hoping it comes out nice.

I brewed an coopers clone a year or so ago and it came out terrible however I cannot be sure it was the hops. I still had the rest of my POR in the freezer so last week decided to try again, I made a vienna lager with POR at 60 mins (17IBU's Worth) then a second addition of tettang at 15 mins making a total of 23 IBU.

AN EXTENTION on my planning/thoughts.

When I make my lagers/pilsners I like to use the same hop for flavour and bittering (60 min addition) but I was wondering do you think I would or anyone else would notice if I say, used POR for 15 IBU then used my hop of choice for the rest of the bittering and flavour profile?

Example:

Original Hopping Schedule (40 litres) - Total 27.4 IBU
105.00 gm Saaz [3.40%] (60 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
34.00 gm Saaz [3.40%] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
26.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

New Hopping Schedule: - Total 27.4 IBU
25.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.10%] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
40.00 gm Saaz [3.40%] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
34.00 gm Saaz [3.40%] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
26.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Do you think I would notice the POR or would this be a good way to lower the amount of saaz I am using for bittering? If this might be too much, what would be a suitable amount? 10 IBUs in a total of 27 IBU?

Anyone have any experience with this?
:beer:

SD,

If you like POR, go for it - Personally I'd be using Magnum or Northern Brewer at 60 mins to reduce the hop usage - Or you could use NZ B Saaz, Current season AA is 6.7%

Cheers..

thanks to BL Dave for pushing us again and again on his damn POR bandwagon ;)

Well I was over it, and thought I'd moved on,........BUT ...then I saw Tony's heading under his avatar and remembered this poll/thread and in true Brauluver(lets revisit the past) form i thought I'd pull it up again,what with it being on my radar for an IPA later this year.

It's an unashamed love in :eek:
And I'm an annoying F*#+er aren't I?

Edit * self deprecating humour*

I am a fan of POR but it does has its place.

Im sure the vienna will be fine but if i were brewing a vienna, i would use nothing but noble hops. I will be brewing a big oktoberfest to keg in march and drink in october and it will have SAAZ, tetnanger and saphire in it.

Beer styles requite certan hops and cutting corners with very high alpha hops to use less hops is not the way to go.

A beer like a vienna lager is suposed to be an elegant beer, like a tall beautiful woman in a fine gown.

POR is not an eligant hop. I have made european beers and found i didnt have enough hops to get the bitterness i needed so in went 10 IBU of POR and they won awards, so there is nothing wrong with using it, it works, but you wont get the fine delicate finish required for beers like this.

I find it works best if you want to make a good Aussie ale!!!!!!!!!!

here is my recipe for the aussie ale i made with the Paciffic Hallertau. It didnt use as much POR as others ive made. I wanted the Pac Hal to shine! and it did :super:

Summer Keg Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 11.20
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.92
Anticipated EBC: 8.1
Anticipated IBU: 27.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 11.20 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
30.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 6.50 9.8 First WH
34.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Whole 9.60 15.7 60 min.
60.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 6.50 1.6 2 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 10 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

US-56

here is the recipe that got first place in the plae ale catagory a couple of years back in the NSW state champs and a 4th in the same catagory in the AABC.

THE AUSSIE ALE.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.60
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.83
Anticipated EBC: 7.8
Anticipated IBU: 26.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
95.7 4.40 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 5
4.3 0.20 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
12.00 g. Pride of Ringwood (whole) Whole 10.00 14.2 First WH
12.00 g. Pride of Ringwood (whole) Whole 10.00 12.5 45 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1318 London Ale III

It didnt have the fine aroma of the beer with the hallertau but bloody hall it was a great summer quaffer.

you wouldnt bother buying CPA again!

cheers

When I started brewing a few years ago I used to read a lot of stuff about how bad PoR is. So I never used it. I have till this day never purchased PoR.
Then I was given a PoR hop rhizome and started growing it. So after a decent harvest last year I started using it to see what it is like.

I must say I cannot compare to commercially harvested but fresh it is a very very good hop.
I was expecting some sort of harsh biterness but it is very smooth and flavoursome when fresh.

I even won an award last year with a brew that was bittered with the homegrown PoR.

If you ever get a chance to try it fresh I highly recomend it.

cheers
johnno

POR has it's place alright,and I know a few people use it for a bittering hop in all sorts of brews.
And other brewers can't pick it,me included.

Batz

Ain't that bad for bittering - the brick i have left of PoR+ gets a run when i'm not feeling like using up my Magnum, Simcoe or Taurus for bittering brews. Never used it as an aroma hop though. For all the bad reports it gets, there's not a lot to back it up i reckon, perhaps people give it a bad rap because it's one of the first hops they try and it could probably be stored badly and used incorrectly!

I find it to be an excellent bittering hop, have used it many times and will most likely continue to do so.

I'm using Pride Plus for ales where the bittering hop isn't critical. I find it gives a very nice neutral clean bitterness, as high as I want to go. My plain old POR is just sitting there unused now, probably stale anyway. Pride Plus for the win!

Ain't that bad for bittering - the brick i have left of PoR+ gets a run when i'm not feeling like using up my Magnum, Simcoe or Taurus for bittering brews. Never used it as an aroma hop though. For all the bad reports it gets, there's not a lot to back it up i reckon, perhaps people give it a bad rap because it's one of the first hops they try and it could probably be stored badly and used incorrectly!

I've used pride a few times, last time they produced a surpisingly nice aroma from old hops on small late addition. Very fresh-cut garden waste.

I can't choose any of these options! I generally don't like the bitterness produced by using pride of ringwood, nor the flavour, but I would definately love to try some wet (off the vine) or just very fresh for flavour in a pale ale, as I am led to believe that they can be very tasty when used quite soon after picking.

I'm in another category.. . those who've used POR and still can't understand what the fuss is about.

I don't mind POR (in moderation) and have used it in a number of brews to date, though I tend to use it to provide a bittering 'base' and then sort of cover it up with other hops I prefer. It's 'economical' if I'm making a standard on tap brew, but used conservatively because of it's slightly overpowering tendencies. I'd never use it 100% of the hop bill.

3.I have never used POR , but all the negative hype makes me shy away from it. [ 6 ] [15.79%

So are any of you 6 guys/gals tempted to try POR now? :eek:

i was one of those six! now i've purchased a bag of POR and i'm ready to hop with it!
fired up promash and it suggests 16.7g @ 10.9aa for 60 minutes to achieve 26IBU's
on a standard 23L batch

is this correct? it sounds like such a little amount of hops to add

Cheers Rob.

for a 1048 OG beer Beersmith arrives at exactly the same figure.

Edit: using Rager formulas and pellet hops

Back