Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malted was right, cable gland, JG fitting etc. BUT... That was the complicated version. Same thing can be done much more easily.

I used a speciman jar (new) of about 250-300ml. We get or sugar adjunct samples delivered in them. But any straight sided jar with a lid you could drill would work.

You need

The jar
Something to make a screen out of, i used the lid of another jar cut to size.
About 10 inches of 10mm OD beer line
3 standard HB fermenter airlock grommets

- Drill a 10mm hole (maybe 11) in the very center of the lid of the jar, and another one halfway between the first and the edge of the lid
- take whatever you are using as your screen and drill the same sized hole in the middle
- fit grommets to all three holes and make sure that you can shove the 10mm line through it, but that it fits very tightly so it can act as a seal and physical holder.
- drill a bunch of holes in the screen to hold back whatever you are going to put in the randal
- cut the line into two pieces like in the picture, use voiling water to help you bend one over to be the "tap"
- one goes through the center, so it almost reaches the bottom of the jar when the lid is closed, onto this one you put the screen, so it will sit say 3/4s of the way up the jar
- the bent over bit of line gets pushed in so it just comes through to the inside of the lid by a half a cm or so and picks up beer from the very top.

Put stuff in the randal, shove the in line up your beer tap (mine fit tightly and neatly, ymmv) and pour. It will froth and carry on a bit, but once things are cold and if you make your flow nice and slow, you should be able to tweak it till you can pour without too much loss.

Did it work?? Depends. With really aromatic or flavoursome things, yeah - pretty damn well. So a vanilla pod to go with a porter worked a treat, a couple of squashed cumquats for a saison, great. But for actual hops... Less sucessful. It certainly worked, but because the volume is so low, the contact time is really short and hops seemed to need a bit more than they were getting for any huge effect.

I christened them a "Randal Shot" because the idea is to load the randal, use it to give just a few beers a "shot" of a different flavour, then change to something else. Easy and fast to load new ingredients, you dont need very much of the ingredient so it doesn't cost a lot to experiment and it comes off the tap easily so you dont have to muck about to pour the beer straight up if you want. Not supposed to be a serious alternative to a bigger randal, just a bit of a fun gimmick for a party or event.

Heres another photo to help you see the construction, just sub in grommets where you see other stuff.
IMG_1145.jpg

Somewhere or another on the internet there are a few photos from club night at the last ANHC where we gave a few of these jiggers a nice work out. They seemed to go down well.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Going to give this a shot I reckon. Have to see if the JG beer line I have fits up my Perlicks, but other than that, I can see this being a goer for an experiment at the next case swap at my place!

Muchly appreciated!

Nev

The latest mash tun got a work out last weekend.
Note the false bottom draping over the edge.

It has been the easiest stuck sparge to fix ever: you tie it up and turn it into BIAB & it is a bit cloudier...
Now I have my grind sorted it lauters supremo! Who needs a stainless one?

$>5 Spotlight Voile

IMG_0167c.jpg

TasChris - I love the black paint job on those kegs...
Good to see you have so much faith in a card table. Glad your kettle isn't on there :)

Keep the Ghetto coming folks.
I'm with Tanga, I'd love some pics of vic45's mil setupl too.

My Mill. $9 salad bowl hopper.

116.JPG

Holds 6kg of grain and mills it in around 3 minutes.

111.JPG

my ghetto contributions...

Window winder mill motor and old PC power supply:

mill3_aug11.jpg

motor:

mill_motor_aug11.jpg

power supply:

mill_power_aug11.jpg

Bucket of death boiler still going strong after many years. Cost about $40. Good boil going on. I'm not showing the element bit in case the safety police come a knocking...... B)

bod_aug11.jpg

bod_boil_aug11.jpg

richard.

edit: photos were a bit small

my ghetto contributions...

Window winder mill motor and old PC power supply:

View attachment 48314

motor:

View attachment 48315

power supply:

View attachment 48316

Bucket of death boiler still going strong after many years. Cost about $40. Good boil going on. I'm not showing the element bit in case the safety police come a knocking...... B)

View attachment 48317

View attachment 48318

richard.

edit: photos were a bit small

Hey Richard. Interested how the window wiper motor goes in your mill setup. Myself and a few other Brew Adelaide Members use roller door motors hooked up via a spider coupling, and they work really well, albeit a ~tiny~ bit slow... About 40 RPM, but shed loads of torque! We also use computer power supplies.

Wondering how these go?? Ta.

Nev

Nev

It works pretty well. Runs about 80 rpm which is a bit slow but crush is good.

I posted a video link on the mill motor thread. This will give you an idea of how it goes.

motor mill thread

Richard

Yep, love the stainless bowl. So much that I went and bought one too. A "german mixing bowl" from chickenfeed, ass SS for $5.00
Rather than slots I just drilled a hole in the bottom of it. It is smaller than yours, and had only a small flat area on the bottom, so difficult to mount with bolts. Using double sided tape for now, if it comes unstick I guess I'll have to drill some holes and screw it to the wooden baseplate i made for it. Also, only holds about 2.5kg of grain, so 1/2 a brew. Not that hard to fill it up again after milling the 1st half, but would like to be able to fit 5-6kg's in there.

Oops, too late to edit.
Mrs Spork dragged me along to her favourite homewares shop tonight. Apart from in a round-about way buying a kegging system, I scored a big stainless bowl for $12. It should easily fit 5-6+ kg's of grain.

That's the way Spork, big bowl.
The rectangular feed hole I cut with a thin cutting disk on the angle grinder, easy to cut because they are very thin.

Here is my ghetto bottle tree. Does the job and I have a strict no bottle mouth to lattice policy so shouldnt get any nasties in my bottles.

View attachment 48437

Well done Vic, looks good, they all do, all fab Frankenstein's monsters.

Latest posts

Back