Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the bottle "tree" Truman. Ghettolicious.
I now have a double-decker stainless steel bowl hopper - held on with double sided tape and gaffa. Still only holds about 4.5kg...
I also made a ghetto urn stand, with adjustable height legs/feet.
My brewing area is slate / crazy pavers, and not level. Solution? Milk crate with a bit of 2x2 screwed into each corner and a dirty big hex head screw in each of those. With a spirit level, a spanner and a (tiny) bit of patience I now have an urn stand that doesn't rock around on the uneven floor. :)

Pics to follow, maybe tomorrow.

Here is my ghetto bottle tree. Does the job and I have a strict no bottle mouth to lattice policy so shouldnt get any nasties in my bottles.

View attachment 48437

I use something similar..... well used to when i bottled.

I have one of those big flat bread things.... like a milk crete..... and the bottles sit in the holes and drain very nicely!

Thats awesome!
Ingenuity, electricity, and 30 litres of boiling wort. What could possibly go wrong?

Picture

(not me, see previous post)

urn_broken.jpg

Trust a crazy Norwegian to come up with that idea...........You mad man you.

It is a kettle that ripped its own face off to save a brew. A 'hero kettle'.

It definitely rates high on the satisfaction/outcome chart but also getting some movement on the darwin-o-meter.

Great save! anyway.

along similar lines to others mills but I cant take the credit for the chute, (thanks Mario)

But I will lay claim to the tight fitted, double sided, race tape covered spill shield. A few hours with some cardboard, the race tape and the scissors and not many grains spill now... with the right angle it all just comes down the chute... It's a beutiful thing indeed :)

I really dig the water bottle hopper too, dunno where I first saw the idea but thank you very much whoever that was!!

2.JPG1.JPG

My "brew stand", with it's ajustable height "legs".
Brewstand.jpg

Close up of my uberengineering brewery bling:
Brewstanddetail.jpg

My $2 hopper has now cost me closer to $20. I think it's still ghetto though. It holds 5kk of grain and only the last fer bits need any encouragment to go down into the mill:
Millhopper.jpg

Seeing as 20 bucks is still ghetto...

28ddd96e.jpg

The reduced sized keg was free, parts for the manifold = 22 bucks with copper left over. Nothing soldered/welded. Planning to wing it using Teflon tape to make it tight, only fancy bit is the $3 chrome plated brass compression fitting.

Still needs a ball valve though :p

Made and used a 30 bottle draining rack. A 38mm hole lets most of the neck of a tallie go through it. So it is chipboard and quite soon will show the effects of moisture... it was a cheap arse solution to a problem and re-lifed stuff I had laying about. I'd think that a lot of ghetto gear would have a limited lifespan.

Have to say, one of the most ghetto things I've seen in this thread has been Wolfy's mill from the first page, all covered and held together with 100 mile an hour tape! Brilliant!!

My chair went tits up a while ago, where the castor continually failed.

While not brewing, my solution:
chair.jpg

Chair has since been replaced. Worked a treat for a week or so, tho B)

reVox

No Photo...
A couple of weeks ago at Garage Sale....
One Birko over the side Heater....
ONE DOLLAR....Half a Ghetto.....
PJ

Made and used a 30 bottle draining rack
Making a bottle rack sounds like effort to me.
Here's mine ... totally ghetto but works great (it's a perfect size to keep the bottle necks off the ground):
bottle_rack.jpg

Making a bottle rack sounds like effort to me.
Here's mine ... totally ghetto but works great (it's a perfect size to keep the bottle necks off the ground):

Sweet, nice one!
I just like to make stuff sometimes but when the chipboard shits itself I'll give the bread crate a go. :D I have a few bread crates. They also make great 'drawers' for holding brewing stuff on shelves. Instead of reaching through to the back you can slide the crate out to get to stuff at the back.

sparge/recirc arm for the next few brews before I can get a pump sorted..

1.JPG
Still needs to be attached to the HLT

2.JPG
The flow from this was nice, could do with some sealing at the corner joints methinks

Id put my Keggle stand here too but it's too Bling* for this topic :lol:

What do you do when you're mid-boil, coming up on a hop addition and in all the excitement it seems that a beer has been poured on your lovely digital scales? Reach for a pencil, a steel ruler, two egg cups and a cough mixture measure...

ghettoscales.jpg

Latest posts

Back