Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marga setup, various bits from Bunnings plus a kitchen chopping "sheet" folded origami style to make top and bottom hoppers

Marga_1__Medium_.JPG

marga_4__Medium_.JPG

Then later on the big bowl becomes part of the Bribie BIAB Wort Wondapress .

wort_press_6__Large_.jpg

Jebus Revox. I wouldn't be trusting my life to a pair of old thongs. Puts the bucket of death to shame.

I just picked up a few Eskies from hard rubbish, aka 'neighbourhood exchange program.' Got a cube too if I can get the garlic smell out. Any suggestions?

Boiling hot water, napisan or sodium percarbonate full to the brim and left to soak.

If it remains after that, find another cube.

Cheers Manticle. And Bribie. Guess I was pranked. I just picked up a quality wooden A-frame ladder too, which I plan to use to run the rope for my BIAB over. There is a larger one I'm tempted to grab as well, but my space is limited.

My previously posted drip tray is certainly a work of ghetto awesome....

Behold

Jebus Revox. I wouldn't be trusting my life to a pair of old thongs. Puts the bucket of death to shame.

I just picked up a few Eskies from hard rubbish, aka 'neighbourhood exchange program.' Got a cube too if I can get the garlic smell out. Any suggestions?

:icon_offtopic: A lttle off topic but .....may help.
Tanga Youll never get the garlic smell out . Ive tried it with smaller containers having ginger in them.Dont bother.

If you are desperate for cubes go and see any commercial premises with catering or restaurant, like hotels, restaurants etc and ask for empty vinigar ones. They are clean and easily reused. At a pinch they should have detergent ones , machine dish washing liquid ones, etc. Most of these go into bin. The only problem is size. Sometimes 15ltr , 20lts or 25 lts.
Daz

I know not this ghetto of which you speak.....

Cheese mould & press
IMG_1674.jpg

Portable Bar
Xmasbeertrolley1.jpg

Keggerator which lived in my lounge for a year or so. A wife displeasing article of furniture.
kegerator3.jpg

kegerator1.jpg

Everyone wants a conical...
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

And a randal
IMG_1147.jpg

And a CP filler
CPFiller1.jpg

CPFiller2.jpg

And a HERMS. My very first brewery about to undergo its maiden voyage. A 10-12L capacity driven by an ebay aquarium pump. And you dont even want to think about what i was using as an electric element for the HLT.... I've been trying to forget.
IMG_0983.jpg

Nothing ghetto about any of that though............

You, sir, are my new hero. Teach me, Obi Wan Kinobi.

Thirsty

How effective was the randall and is there an easy way to explain how you made it?? Looks like a kick ass idea!

Thirsty

How effective was the randall and is there an easy way to explain how you made it?? Looks like a kick ass idea!

I am willing to bet here is a sparky that does not recognise a cable gland...

length of hose shoved through it.
White fitting appears to be a John Guest fitting, male thread through the lid with a nut on the back of it.

That's my guess.

Edit: he may have some sort of floating screen in it too.

Inspirational thread,

I will take a photo of my $0 (hand me down) pasta maker grain mill and it's associated ghettoness when I get hold of a camera.

Top thread.

Cheers,
D80

I am willing to bet here is a sparky that does not recognise a cable gland...

length of hose shoved through it.
White fitting appears to be a John Guest fitting, male thread through the lid with a nut on the back of it.

That's my guess.

Edit: he may have some sort of floating screen in it too.

I see the cable gland, I see the JG bulkhead fitting, maybe what I should have asked, what is the container?? And is there some sort of filter or screen in there too??

I can see me making one of these!

Thirsty

Malted was right, cable gland, JG fitting etc. BUT... That was the complicated version. Same thing can be done much more easily.

I used a speciman jar (new) of about 250-300ml. We get or sugar adjunct samples delivered in them. But any straight sided jar with a lid you could drill would work.

You need

The jar
Something to make a screen out of, i used the lid of another jar cut to size.
About 10 inches of 10mm OD beer line
3 standard HB fermenter airlock grommets

- Drill a 10mm hole (maybe 11) in the very center of the lid of the jar, and another one halfway between the first and the edge of the lid
- take whatever you are using as your screen and drill the same sized hole in the middle
- fit grommets to all three holes and make sure that you can shove the 10mm line through it, but that it fits very tightly so it can act as a seal and physical holder.
- drill a bunch of holes in the screen to hold back whatever you are going to put in the randal
- cut the line into two pieces like in the picture, use voiling water to help you bend one over to be the "tap"
- one goes through the center, so it almost reaches the bottom of the jar when the lid is closed, onto this one you put the screen, so it will sit say 3/4s of the way up the jar
- the bent over bit of line gets pushed in so it just comes through to the inside of the lid by a half a cm or so and picks up beer from the very top.

Put stuff in the randal, shove the in line up your beer tap (mine fit tightly and neatly, ymmv) and pour. It will froth and carry on a bit, but once things are cold and if you make your flow nice and slow, you should be able to tweak it till you can pour without too much loss.

Did it work?? Depends. With really aromatic or flavoursome things, yeah - pretty damn well. So a vanilla pod to go with a porter worked a treat, a couple of squashed cumquats for a saison, great. But for actual hops... Less sucessful. It certainly worked, but because the volume is so low, the contact time is really short and hops seemed to need a bit more than they were getting for any huge effect.

I christened them a "Randal Shot" because the idea is to load the randal, use it to give just a few beers a "shot" of a different flavour, then change to something else. Easy and fast to load new ingredients, you dont need very much of the ingredient so it doesn't cost a lot to experiment and it comes off the tap easily so you dont have to muck about to pour the beer straight up if you want. Not supposed to be a serious alternative to a bigger randal, just a bit of a fun gimmick for a party or event.

Heres another photo to help you see the construction, just sub in grommets where you see other stuff.
IMG_1145.jpg

Somewhere or another on the internet there are a few photos from club night at the last ANHC where we gave a few of these jiggers a nice work out. They seemed to go down well.

I've found White King bleach (unscented) will remove smells better than Napisan. Triple rinse it with hot water when finished, and air dry in the sun.

Back