Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats rad! A kettle which looks like a bomb and bins for a windbreak. Brilliant

Here's my budget kettle stand and windshield set up - I couldn't find a better fit if i'd had them custom made - and both courtesy of the local hard garbage 'neighbourhood exchange program'

Sweet ride bro! Ahh bless the 'neighbourhood exchange program' the heart of every good brewery! Ahem, one mans trash is anothers treasure, pleasure don't call it garbage! I used to love Mitre 11 (the dump) for the 'recycling' I could do. Bloody metro areas won't let you take stuff FROM the dump!

So it is not cheap and ghetto but it is nasty. Air expands (and thus contracts) more than liquids...
Dodgey no chill:

Is my ghetto rope clamp I used on building the veranda (that I brew under) worth a mention?

Is my ghetto rope clamp I used on building the veranda (that I brew under) worth a mention?

Would probably be better if you had a 90 litre kettle hanging from it, but it's a start. :)

my driptray is a chux superwipe

Mine is an off-cut from a home-made sombrero, that was made for a party

I have two. An off-cut from mine, an off-cut from the one my wife made

Sweet as. Spotlight FTW!

Great thread. Brew day on Saturday, so I'll get some picks of my discordant mess ghetto brewery up.

Hmm, might have to go all high tech like and whack some staples in there too. :)
Actually Wolfy, it was some great looking hoppers very much like your own that inspired me, but buggered if I can find anywhere selling those big water bottles around here.
Chickenfeed had some cheapie stools for $7-8. The two piece ones that join in the middle. I reckon I could use one of them, except I think the plastic is too brittle to cut easily.

Wellington Springs out in moonah sometimes have old ones they dont want. Give em a bell.

http://www.wellingtonsprings.com.au/

I use one as a ghetto fermenter.

lol thats was some hitech gear should be sold in stores world wide

In between brewing up a storm yesterday I took a few photos of some of the cheapy equipment I have pressed into service for brewing. I've been working on a proper brewstand over the last couple of weeks and this may actually be the last time some of this stuff is used so here you are:

The ghetto mill frame. Two sticks from the green shed bolted together across the mill.
Ghetto_crusher_frame_small.jpg

The ghetto mill dust guard. Stops the drill brushes setting fire to barley dust :)
Ghetto_dust_gaurd_small.jpg

The sparge stand. An old PC case cover (even with 1337 fan hole to keep the ol' cyrix 686 nice and cool)
Sparge_stand_1.0_small.jpg

The burner stand: an old copper water-jacket incubator that still actually works. The immunology department were thowing it out! I never use the thing though and it weighs a ton. We broke bits of my house-mate's Laser (there's a piece of ghetto equipment right there) getting the bloody thing home.
Burner_Stand_1.1_small.jpg

I have dozens of these projects, some more ghetto than others.

Ghetto carbon water filtration:
ghetto1.jpg

ghetto2.jpg

ghetto3.jpg

ghetto4.jpg

ghetto5.jpg

ghetto6.jpg

ghetto7.jpg

ghetto_open.jpg

reVox

Latest posts

Back