Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my temp controller housed in the container my Chinese came in taped and nailed to the wall.

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

Hmm, might have to go all high tech like and whack some staples in there too. :)
Actually Wolfy, it was some great looking hoppers very much like your own that inspired me, but buggered if I can find anywhere selling those big water bottles around here.
Chickenfeed had some cheapie stools for $7-8. The two piece ones that join in the middle. I reckon I could use one of them, except I think the plastic is too brittle to cut easily.

I also have a $2 ghetto one that may interest you more than the water bottles and have the same capacity.

mashpaddle1.jpg

You can see it in the background in the above pic.

An 86 cent plastic bucket with the bottom cut out and duct taped to a 99 cent plastic funnel (the bucket needed replacing last year after a few years of service, but the funnels still good).

You can also see my $6 mash paddle. It's a $6 garden fork handle from bunnings (was cheaper to throw the crappy fork away than buy a naked handle) with a couple of bits of meranti that were in the shed and some stainless bolts i had. Has worked fine for about 4 years now.

Keep the Ghetto coming folks.
I'm with Tanga, I'd love some pics of vic45's mil setupl too.

Ok, I'll try to get some photos up on the weekend.
Not just of the mill, but the whole brewery, it all belongs in this thread :lol:

That's almost the most ghetto thing I've seen

You sir, are ghetto fab!

The best bit is that he has nailed the tape to the wall!!!
That will go to the ghetto hall of fame (it's next door to the Darwin Awards office)

The nails weren't planned but when the horizontal backup piece of tape started to fail I had to get improvising

The nails weren't planned but when the horizontal backup piece of tape started to fail I had to get improvising

Oh now that is the beauty and elegance of ghetto building, building on the fly and a glorious lack of planning! You've nailed it! (Boomtisch!)

Here's my temp controller housed in the container my Chinese came in taped and nailed to the wall.

I bow to your superior ghettoness sir.
When you use it, do you feel like you need to use it again an hour later?

I take off may hat to you Megs ! That is definitive ghetto :icon_chickcheers:

I wish Lethalcorpse could see this :D

this is my ghetto setup... only on my second AG brew.

need better pics of my home made counter flow chiller, 10m of half in coppy tube inside 19mm reticulation hose. works a treat, 21 degrees straight into the fermenter.

IMG_7705.JPG

No its not a rental. Its my studio/ brewery out the back. Next time im considering not wraping my electrical component in cling film or adding that extra power board under my leaky equipment Ill think back at all the support on the thread. Stainless is shiny but duct tape solves all.

Cheers

No its not a rental. Its my studio/ brewery out the back. Next time im considering not wraping my electrical component in cling film or adding that extra power board under my leaky equipment Ill think back at all the support on the thread. Stainless is shiny but duct tape solves all.

Cheers

I am only a novice in comparison to your Ghetto ability
Your work is truly craptacular

Cheers
Chris

Can I say kind Sirs ... this topic has made me laugh out loud .. god bless you all .. from a pretty depressed kinda guy .. I am seeing rainbows from these posts !!!

Piss funny ...

Ghetto Pimp .. out !!

After I've finished cleaning out my mash tun, my spent grain shovel goes straight back into the sand play pit :ph34r:

109_0675.JPG

Jyo ... That is tops ... BTW ... I have leaves on my plants now .. (hops that is !!!)

Coming along nicely ..

and the EKG ale ... nice !!!

Great thread - and even better ideas in the posts.
It blows me away to imagine the fine beer that results from these hi-tec set ups. Keep em comin'
Here's my budget kettle stand and windshield set up - I couldn't find a better fit if i'd had them custom made - and both courtesy of the local hard garbage 'neighbourhood exchange program'

Kettle_stand.jpg

Cut down steel kitchen chair frame

Kettle_shield.jpg

Two outer casings from scrapped flip top kitchen bins.

My drip tray is the saucer from one of those rectangular plastic plant pots. Just manages to catch the drips from all 4 taps.

Brew stand is a multi-fold ladder with 2 old lengths of timber placed along the top. Esky mash tun sits on that, with the HLT up higher on an old milk crate.

And of course the 79c sparge bucket (blue of course to avoid HSA).

My drip tray is the saucer from one of those rectangular plastic plant pots. Just manages to catch the drips from all 4 taps.

Brew stand is a multi-fold ladder with 2 old lengths of timber placed along the top. Esky mash tun sits on that, with the HLT up higher on an old milk crate.

And of course the 79c sparge bucket (blue of course to avoid HSA).

Sounds like it is proper ghetto but of course we need to see pictures!

Latest posts

Back