Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Ghetto barley mill. It needs more work but this is what I've done tonight to my old pasta machine. I'm off carbs anyway so what the hell. Plus this way I'll spend the money I was going to use on a monster mill to buy a plate chiller, if this works <_<
rollers1st_attempt.JPG

5 mins with a 8mm drill bit had the rollers able to pull the grains in with pasta setting 4

first_grind.JPG

By hand this would take for ever so I cut up a flat head screwdriver and..

sacrificialscrewdriver.JPG
milled_with_drill.JPG

crushcomp.JPG

Side by side comparison of the BB pale malt.

Its too slow and I think I need a finer crush. Any thoughts on that guys? Hope the pic shows the crush well enough for a comment.

Seems it will be more work of the knurling, a ghetto hopper and modified stand to come...worth a crack anyway

My ghetto hopper > completely recycled. Piece of wood cut from packing pallet, juice bottle from prev cider in bottle duty and well, a bit of glue.

32e04536.jpg

I did stuff it up though, cut the hole too big. Should've just cut a hole big enough for the bottle.

My first Ghetto barley mill. It needs more work but this is what I've done tonight to my old pasta machine.

i made one the same, i really scuffed up the rollers with a drill bit kind of jammed in sideways and let it spins the rollers as i knurled them.

i used my high speed drill on fairly fast driving it at reckless speeds to get the grain through fast :)
run some of the grain through twice maybe ?

i made a fair few 12L stove top BIAB batches with mine before upgrading and going to full keggle brews and a mashmaster mini

JYO .... my old mate ... thats gold !!! up there with the mashing paddle ... but with a bit more thought and use of a pen to punch holes in a take away container ...

BTW... Hops in the ground .. and slowly reaching for the sky ... Easter swap still on ?? Russian Imperial stout ?? I am aiming at 12 % ..

Matt

This works really well attached to the hose to fill my HLT (which is up higher than the MT / Kettle).

DSCN4779.jpg

Edit - I just hang it over the lip of the HLT

Also made this to get some extra torque tightening my beerbelly filter housing.

Screws align to the 4 holes in the top. Still need to make something akin to a car oil filter removal thingo to grip the body of the filter. (only 3 of the screws line up though atm!!!!)

DSCN4775.jpg

DSCN4776.jpg

JYO .... my old mate ... thats gold !!! up there with the mashing paddle ... but with a bit more thought and use of a pen to punch holes in a take away container ...

BTW... Hops in the ground .. and slowly reaching for the sky ... Easter swap still on ?? Russian Imperial stout ?? I am aiming at 12 % ..

Matt

Easter swap sounds good, mate! Glad the hops are going well.

Cool, but mine is cheaper (and that's what this thread is all about) :)

Na-ah! This was free from work! I now have an even bigger one that covers the whole surface of the esky that I saved from ending up in the recycling bin, so I earn scavenger points :lol:

IMAG0247.jpg

Here is my burner with a wind sheild made from a gal strip and rivets made from nails. This sits on an aluminium stand to keep the heat of the bench. More to come

IMAG0249.jpgIMAG0250.jpg

Near the burner, A shower haed arm at the laundry tub for filling/ washing kegs and fermenters , and with a white tube fitted (beer filler tube) to easily fill up / wash bottles

IMAG0252.jpgIMAG0254.jpgIMAG0255.jpg

Pic 1, a swab on some fishing line to pull through and clean out keg beer tubes, it's amazing what the chemicals dont clean properly. and also a piece of fibreglass rod to aid in fermenter tap dismantling.

Pic 2, bar fridge, upside down, frezer an compressor removed. Can keep fermenter at 20deg C with the use of 2 litre bottles of ice. (I am in the tropics)
Pic 3 A work in progress, just needs doors.

Apologies for the multi posts, still learning about attaching pictures.

Recirc / Fly Sparge manifold mark II

1.JPG

loosely assembled for the mo, will probably solder it up eventually when I get the holes drilled..

2.JPG

the ends that hang over the esky for support will be capped off for now but with the aim of removing the 4 end pieces and probably putting L bends at the corners and fitting it to the underside of the esky lid.. when I can get comfortable with flow rates that is.. If I can fit it to the lid with the inlet poking out the top it should be a simple matter of changing over the hose from recirc pump to Fly sparge in a flash.

well... thats the thought...

recirc gives me the shits atm and I need to work out a better way...

if Pump recirculating, is there any reason I cant do it throughout the mash? say with the brown pump set up on a timer?

Would it be done continuously or say 10 on 5 off?

:icon_drool2: pumps

1.JPG

finishing touches

2.JPG

flow rate is.... fast...

3.JPG

no crimp in the hose if I secure it to the arm

4.JPG

go you little bad boy

5.JPG

Pretty frikkin happy... I can see how good it will be to have it attached to the underside of the lid.. only downside is that I wont be able to see whats going on but should retain more heat... still weighing that one up..

I think I'll still gravity feed the flysparge till I can work out a few things like my flow rates etc..

overall :beerbang: :super:

Yob

Tap hats

f9a85876.jpg

Well, one day I'll get lucky and win some tap handles...

View attachment 53542

finishing touches

View attachment 53543

flow rate is.... fast...

View attachment 53544

no crimp in the hose if I secure it to the arm

View attachment 53546

go you little bad boy

View attachment 53547

Pretty frikkin happy... I can see how good it will be to have it attached to the underside of the lid.. only downside is that I wont be able to see whats going on but should retain more heat... still weighing that one up..

I think I'll still gravity feed the flysparge till I can work out a few things like my flow rates etc..

overall :beerbang: :super:

Yob

Looking good Yob. Thats the one thing I have problems with that Keg King silicone hose, it kinks easily. Ive had to use cable ties to coax it where it wont kink.

Latest posts

Back