- Reaction score
I hope i'm just being paranoid - but I haven't seen crud around the high tide mark anything like that colour before. It's a hefeweizen, fermented with a 3638 smack pack.
I've decided to proceed as normal anyway (kegged, carbonating now) because:
- The whole ferment phase went as normal - good krausen etc.
- it looked completely normal otherwise - nothing nasty or weird on the surface of the beer in the fermenter
- it smelled fine... strong yeasty and co2-ey...
- this was the first time I used a smack pack, so no experience with yeasts other than the usual dry suspects
- I slightly over-cranked the NASA burner during the boil- the kettle ended up with a few scorched burn marks on the bottom.... so i'm hoping that the black crud is just carbon style stuff that floated in the fermenter, and got stuck to the yeast? This is my best guess....
the other option is it's just something wyeast 3638 does - i've not used it before, and in fact, not used -any- liquid yeast before - but this doesn't seem likely
Am I going to die when I taste this on friday? Or just :icon_vomit: ?