Porter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strods

Reaction score
Hi all. Im on the look out for any recommended porters that youve enjoyed, and also where to buy it

I'm not a huge fan of dark beers although I enjoy one on a cold winter's night. My favourite would probably be the Mornington Porter. Unsure if Dan's stocks it but it can be found at places like Archive or Brewski.

There are no real Porters available generally

Which is a shame as it is an awsome style to brew....and drink :beerbang:

Porter is a style that will hook you into the dark side. It has such a wide scope to brew within

Sam Smiths Taddy Porter on tap is the dogs boll***s. Not too shabby in bottles when you can find it either - although last time I saw it, it was $40 for 4x500ml bottles which is pretty exxy

Don't mind Rocks Brewing Porter on tap, although they always seem to serve it way too cold. Not too exciting but enough going on to peak interest.

Had a fair few shockers as well though

Coodgee said:
The newstead brewing co porter is delicious.
The newstead and green beacon porters are probably the best I've found. Top drinks.....

Rocker1986 said:
I'm not a huge fan of dark beers although I enjoy one on a cold winter's night. My favourite would probably be the Mornington Porter. Unsure if Dan's stocks it but it can be found at places like Archive or Brewski.
I'll keep an eye out for them always like to try different ones

Blind Dog said:
Sam Smiths Taddy Porter on tap is the dogs boll***s. Not too shabby in bottles when you can find it either - although last time I saw it, it was $40 for 4x500ml bottles which is pretty exxy

Don't mind Rocks Brewing Porter on tap, although they always seem to serve it way too cold. Not too exciting but enough going on to peak interest.

Had a fair few shockers as well though
yeah I've found when it's served too cold it loses a bit of flavour, I've always been told to drink it around celler temp for the best taste.

Thanks all, some good suggestions there, at the moment I'm drinking the feral smoked Porter which is a nice drop but like to mix it up a bit as don't want to drink the same stuff week in week out. Will be sure to try the ones you've all recommended , thanks

strods said:
Thanks all, some good suggestions there, at the moment I'm drinking the feral smoked Porter which is a nice drop but like to mix it up a bit as don't want to drink the same stuff week in week out. Will be sure to try the ones you've all recommended , thanks [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]
//

Bright Brewery Staircase porter
Newstead Brewing Porter
Holgate The Temptress (best Aussie brewed porter IMO)
Mornington porter
Sam Smith Taddy
Anchor Porter
Deschuttes Black Butte Porter
Heretic Shallow Grave ($$$$$$ but outstanding)
Sierra Nevada Porter

You need to try all of these. They are all great beers with the Temptress & Shallow Grave the standouts

Ducatiboy stu said:

manticle said:

stewy said:
//

Newstead Brewing Porter
Mornington porter
Sam Smith Taddy
Anchor Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter

You need to try all of these. They are all great beers with the Temptress & Shallow Grave the standouts
Not a bad range of porters in that list.... :lol:

strods said:
Thanks all, some good suggestions there, at the moment I'm drinking the feral smoked Porter which is a nice drop but like to mix it up a bit as don't want to drink the same stuff week in week out. Will be sure to try the ones you've all recommended , thanks
yes I agree,
on the HB scene I find a porter a bit "too'" much with a 20 litre batch but thoroughly enjoy it with a bottle after a meal when it suits.
i have one on tap at the moment but I have really decided from now on i will brew a smaller batch and run it into bottles so that i may sit and enjoy it without it occupying a tap position at home.

Completely stuffed up my last porter, a brown plum porter, had it in the UK last year and loved it, should have been a robust porter with the plums and I should have used more plums, still sitting in secondary while I decide what to do with it, been there for a couple of months now.

wide eyed and legless said:
Completely stuffed up my last porter, a brown plum porter, had it in the UK last year and loved it, should have been a robust porter with the plums and I should have used more plums, still sitting in secondary while I decide what to do with it, been there for a couple of months now.
i have noted that brad Smith of Beersmith fame has had posted two topics on using fruit in beers recently. personally i haven't read them.

At my current level of brewing I am shy on putting fruit in a beer,m although I have added orange peel of late. :)

love brewing porters. usually when i've got a few odds and ends grains, then design one around that. brewed one this last weekend with 10 grains. but always go the goldings, fuggles or similar in the hop mix, and never aroma hop. that way you get the complexities off the different grains, and not the late hops. and this one will come out light at about 4.5 ABV, so i can enjoy it in the warmer months. yum yum :)

Ducatiboy stu said:
stewy said:
//

Newstead Brewing Porter
Mornington porter
Sam Smith Taddy
Anchor Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter

dicko said:
Not a bad range of porters in that list.... :lol:

Ducatiboy stu said:
Porter is still way under represented ..... -_-
You must be shopping in the wrong shop Stu... :lol:

If I had my way, every bottle shop would only be allowed to stock Porters. B)

A miserable 9 porters.......not even a list

Latest posts

Back