Porter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty narrow selection of beers around my way, James Squire porter is all I can really find. I love it.

I've been thinking about drinking a porter all morning, Fark I wish this day would hurry up and end!

Can any one point me in the direction of any websites that sell a porter home brew kit.

strods said:
Nice , did you end up having one ?
Couple of pints of Guinness at the RSL actually.

...I too would be interested in a kit version of a porter, all my dark beers taste like burnt shit.

Actually that's a characteristic of most of my efforts.

strods said:
Can any one point me in the direction of any websites that sell a porter home brew kit.
Making your own is probably better - a good low hopped pale base, steep a small variety of roast grains, boil the liquor and add it to the kit with some quality malt extract and a teeny bit of dex.
Use a good fresh yeast.

If us style, add some cascade hops, if english maybe some styrian goldings or leave as is.

Kit wise, I think muntons and cascade but I've not used them. Coopers dark ale with some tricking up could be made to resemble one. Would need some love.

manticle said:
Making your own is probably better - a good low hopped pale base, steep a small variety of roast grains, boil the liquor and add it to the kit with some quality malt extract and a teeny bit of dex.
Use a good fresh yeast.

If us style, add some cascade hops, if english maybe some styrian goldings or leave as is.

Kit wise, I think muntons and cascade but I've not used them. Coopers dark ale with some tricking up could be made to resemble one. Would need some love.
Thanks for that, making my own would definitely interest me. A cascade kit would be nice, i like the stout from cascade its my best one. Keen to get away from using kits soon and start making my own. But we'll see how this kit im currently using goes..

Have you made a port before ?

I regularly (read: once a year :p) brew a porter recipe which I came up with about 2 and a half years ago. It always turns out really nice. Unfortunately being an all grain recipe it's probably out of your reach at the moment, but in keeping with manticle's suggestion of steeping some roasted grains, it does contain medium crystal, chocolate malt, roasted barley, and black patent. Not saying ALL these have to be in it, but hopefully that helps give you an idea of what grains you can use in conjunction with the pale kit base to produce a nice tasting porter. The amounts I used in my recipe are as follows, just to give an idea:

350g Black Patent
200g Medium Crystal
100g Chocolate Malt
100g Roasted Barley

strods said:
Thanks for that, making my own would definitely interest me. A cascade kit would be nice, i like the stout from cascade its my best one. Keen to get away from using kits soon and start making my own. But we'll see how this kit im currently using goes..
Have you made a port before ?
I made quite a few all grain ones. Find one you like the look of, sub the base malt with your kit and extract to achieve the same gravity and steep the same spec grain quantity.

Rocker1986 said:
I regularly (read: once a year :p) brew a porter recipe which I came up with about 2 and a half years ago. It always turns out really nice. Unfortunately being an all grain recipe it's probably out of your reach at the moment, but in keeping with manticle's suggestion of steeping some roasted grains, it does contain medium crystal, chocolate malt, roasted barley, and black patent. Not saying ALL these have to be in it, but hopefully that helps give you an idea of what grains you can use in conjunction with the pale kit base to produce a nice tasting porter. The amounts I used in my recipe are as follows, just to give an idea:

350g Black Patent
200g Medium Crystal
100g Chocolate Malt
100g Roasted Barley
I got told off on here for my porter recipe not including any brown malt! Apparently you lose your Porter Brewers Club membership card if you don't use brown malt.

Oh well, I can live with that. :lol: This recipe does turn out really good as it is, although I do have some brown malt here so I might play around with some in the next batch and see how it goes.

welly2 said:
I got told off on here for my porter recipe not including any brown malt! Apparently you lose your Porter Brewers Club membership card if you don't use brown malt.
If you're brewing a Robust Porter you won't get told off
Traditionally, brown porters will contain brown malt in the grist.

I brew a lovely Robust with med crystal, black patent, choc, Munich & marris otter

Porters are great. Not as bitter roasty as a stout.

Try this. I made this recently, and will definitely make it again, possibly without changing it (I've never made the same beer twice)

Robust porter (based on recipe on more beer website)

3.4kg (2x cans) light liquid malt extract (tip: black rock is 1.7kg per can, coopers is 1.5kg per can)
450g crystal 80(80ish. My local deal is in ebc, I used 115-145 ebc)
230g roast barley
230g carapils
115g choc malt

I cold steeped the gains overnight, then rinsed and boiled at about 6litres

25g Northern brewer + 10g leftover pride of Ringwood for 60 mins
25g cascade for 5 mins. ( I've never really tried to boil at any Specific gravity. Maybe next time)

Top to 21litres in FV,

US-05 at 18C

Delicious

Typing this has made me thirsty. Time to crack a choc porter now!!!

Sounds like what goes into my porter as well Stewy apart from the small roasted barley addition I make. I also use Munich and MO in it. I did base my recipe on the robust porter style though, yes.

Rocker1986 said:
350g Black Patent
200g Medium Crystal
100g Chocolate Malt
100g Roasted Barley
That's a lot of black grain added.
Isn't roast barley and black patent the same??

No, black patent is malted barley, roasted barley is unmalted. It's not the first time I've heard that it's a lot of black grain but for some reason it just works in this beer. Never been disappointed by a glass of this one. :)

I'll give it a go on top of the pale extract. My recipe actually wanted black patent, but lhbs did not have, and said roast barley is the same. The bum.

Back