Porter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i threw my famous lic o'richie porter on the porter recipes a few weeks ago (well - famous with a couple of italian friends who managed to disgrace themselves on it). made in honour of the great taswegian. but yeah - a little licorice extract is a really nice add to the occasional porter. especially if the porter not too complex. goes well straight onto a dry irish stout too.

How do I find the recipes. I'm using iPhone. Is it the same section as recipes forum?

should be, but then i don't have an iphone. recipes forum should show something like ipa, stout, etc etc, with reams of recipes in each section.

BradG said:
Porters are great. Not as bitter roasty as a stout.

Try this. I made this recently, and will definitely make it again, possibly without changing it (I've never made the same beer twice)

Robust porter (based on recipe on more beer website)

3.4kg (2x cans) light liquid malt extract (tip: black rock is 1.7kg per can, coopers is 1.5kg per can)
450g crystal 80(80ish. My local deal is in ebc, I used 115-145 ebc)
230g roast barley
230g carapils
115g choc malt

I cold steeped the gains overnight, then rinsed and boiled at about 6litres

25g Northern brewer + 10g leftover pride of Ringwood for 60 mins
25g cascade for 5 mins. ( I've never really tried to boil at any Specific gravity. Maybe next time)

Top to 21litres in FV,

US-05 at 18C

Delicious

Typing this has made me thirsty. Time to crack a choc porter now!!!
I'll gve this a try next weekend, going to go price these ingredients up today when i go buy my cleaning stuff. Ithink once ive learned the basics about making a porter i cant really see me brewing anything else to be honest.

Thanks for that. :beer:

Hi strods,

Without knocking any suggestions above, if you want to brew a great Porter then give this one a try.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/148-robpo/

Barry was kind enough to share this recipe with us all and he only ever contributes recipes which are proven winners.

Mmmm porter!!!!

So let me get this right........ as a base for a porter i need a good pale base ??? pale as in a pale ale ????? then the malts, grains etc to that ? Forgive me for asking sooo many questions... im new to this....

dicko said:
Hi strods,

Without knocking any suggestions above, if you want to brew a great Porter then give this one a try.

Barry was kind enough to share this recipe with us all and he only ever contributes recipes which are proven winners.

Mmmm porter!!!!
had a read of that recipe, sounds really good,

What brew have you got on the go at the moment ?

strods said:
So let me get this right........ as a base for a porter i need a good pale base ??? pale as in a pale ale ????? then the malts, grains etc to that ? Forgive me for asking sooo many questions... im new to this....
good idea. i read or got told at some point to always start with a pale base. the crystals, chocs etc will darken it perfectly. this is cos (or so i was told or read somewhere) the pale is more of a blank canvas for taste and colour.

i thought i'd give it a go when i were kitting and steeping, and yep. it works a treat, and it cuts down on what you need to keep in the store room.

Interesting, i would of never thought a pale base to start a porter.

Going a little off subject here guys..... ive got a brew on the go at the moment.... started last monday and now its coming to the end in the fermenter (i think tuesday maybe wednesday itll be ready for bottling) the krausen has gone off the top of the brew... is this normal ?

strods said:
Interesting, i would of never thought a pale base to start a porter.
Going a little off subject here guys..... ive got a brew on the go at the moment.... started last monday and now its coming to the end in the fermenter (i think tuesday maybe wednesday itll be ready for bottling) the krausen has gone off the top of the brew... is this normal ?
Basically using the same approach as making an all grain porter.

A dark base kit will be made from mostly pale malt with small amounts of dark malt and/or colour added. If you do the same but with your own spec grains you'll get a more complex, flavourful result. If you start with a dark base then try and add in dark grains, it may just be a bit too much.

You really only want upto 15% ish of total dark grains, including xtals

So you need to start with a pale base and work up.

There are many styles of Porter, so your millage will vary depending on the style you want to go with

dicko said:
Hi strods,

Mmmm porter!!!!
To admin, There's a problem with the above link when using iphone6 . Takes me to a suggestion thread to be able to add photos. Works fine on desktop. Apologies if this is not the place to bring it up. Thanks, brad
(Edit: is that a quote or reference[emoji12])

strods said:
sorry - i didn't entirely explain - same rule for all darker beers, porter, stout, bock, whatever. go the pale base and add the darks.
is a lot easier to paint on a white canvas than a brown canvas

Some I've tried this past winter have been (with my score out of 5 after them):

- Murrays Dark Knight Porter 3/5
- Sierra Nevada Porter 3/5
- James Squire Spade Porter 3/5
- Żywiec Polish Porter 5/5 Loved this one.
- Founders Dark Penance (not sure if this is actually a porter - but loved it) 4/5

Cheers,
Pete

strods said:
had a read of that recipe, sounds really good,

What brew have you got on the go at the moment ?
I have done it a few times and it is always a winner.
I have just finished a porter that I had done but it was not as good a s Barrys recipe as I had to substitute some ingredients and it lost its shine.

At the moment I have a Doppelbock, an APA galaxy/citra and a 150 lashes clone fermenting.
On tap is a Munich Helles and my Midnite Lite which is similar to a Rogers.

Mmmm beer :)

BradG said:
To admin, There's a problem with the above link when using iphone6 . Takes me to a suggestion thread to be able to add photos. Works fine on desktop. Apologies if this is not the place to bring it up. Thanks, brad
(Edit: is that a quote or reference[emoji12])
Hi Brad,
It is a direct link to the recipe.

I have reported your comment for comment by admin. I will let you know if I can.

I personally find this site very user unfriendly when on ipad and unusable on I phone but I am a dinosaur with modern technology. :)

dicko said:
I have done it a few times and it is always a winner.
I have just finished a porter that I had done but it was not as good a s Barrys recipe as I had to substitute some ingredients and it lost its shine.

At the moment I have a Doppelbock, an APA galaxy/citra and a 150 lashes clone fermenting.
On tap is a Munich Helles and my Midnite Lite which is similar to a Rogers.

Mmmm beer :)
Got a few on the go then, im starting a porter next with one of these recipes thats been posted on here, then once i get learning the ingridents and the processes etc.. I'll have a gok at making my very own porter. Found this forum very helpfull and some great advice.

Just took the first hydrometer test on my stout last night, got a reading of 1.020. the stout though wasnt black , it was sort of a brown colour, im confused... I'll take another reading tonight. But read somewhere about leaving it for another few days even if the readings are the same.....

It won't look quite as dark in the hydrometer test tube/jar as it will in a beer glass, because it's a smaller diameter you're looking through. My pilsners lately have looked more like lemon cordial in the hydrometer sample but once they're kegged/bottled and in the glass they look as they should. B)

Yes, it is beneficial to leave it sit for a few days to a week after you reach FG. It lets the yeast clean up any off flavours it may have produced during the fermentation.

stout is supposed to be brown, but it looks black in a glass. success is a snow white head. actually, all your darks will look brown in a hydrometer.
i'm sipping a bock and it looks black in the glass if there's no background light, and dark chocolate brown against light, but i can see my fingers through it (more or less) when i hold it in front of the computer screen.
imho, my personal advice with a porter is to get your ibu's on the 60min boil, and don't add aroma hopping at the end. a good porter goes on the complexity of your grain mix, rather than getting run over by a floral overload at the end of hopping.

Latest posts

Back