Por As A Substitute For Ekg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodolphe01

Reaction score
I am going to make the oatmeal stout recipe from brewing classic styles, it calls for 51g of EKG, I happen to have 45g and don't really want to buy another bag of the stuff just for the extra 6 grams. I don't have an aversion to EKG, i'm just interested in playing with more ingredients etc and don't like what I happen to have in the freezer dictate what I make.

Anyway, the only hops I have on hand are POR, southern cross & galaxy - I figure POR would be the best to use as a sub? Or am I dead wrong and the couple of grams I use to add a few IBU will ruin the beer? I'm thinking it will hardly be noticeable, but keen for opinions.

Cheers

If you mean make up the remaining 9 g (or IBU equivalent which is probably 4g) with PoR then no I don't think you'd notice. As a whole bittering addition in a stout I don't think you'd notice. In an ESB or IPA with late or dry hopping then yes I think you would notice.

For what it's worth I've used POR for bittering in a couple of stouts (weeeeell...one stout and one very dark ale - extract and AG respectively), then followed with some EKG at around 15mins and I thought it was lovely.

I've not used it for anything other than bittering, but I have no complaints thus far.

edit: I promise I'm not stalking you Manticle.

Since, you haven't posted the recipe, I assume that it calls for both a bitter and flavour addition of EKG. If so, I'd suggest adding the bittering addition a few minutes earlier to get the required IBUs. Whack it in your brewing software and see how you go.

Yea it would be 5g of PoR in a single 60min addition (along with the EKG of course).

What difference in IBUs is the 6g going to make? I'd probably go with the EKG & leave the POR in the freezer.

If POR is the hop of Sheaf Stout then I'd put the EKG back in the freezer :icon_cheers:

Styrian Goldings, go get some styrian. Currenty halfway through a Double brewday with Styrian in each and the backyard smells heavenly.

Since, you haven't posted the recipe, I assume that it calls for both a bitter and flavour addition of EKG. If so, I'd suggest adding the bittering addition a few minutes earlier to get the required IBUs. Whack it in your brewing software and see how you go.

exactly my thoughts

ok so your trying to get IBU up without imparting too much flavour from whichever high %AA hop your sub in. why not use a ralatively nuertal bittering hop like magnum.

Hatchy - 6g of 14%AA hop will contribute a good whack of IBU if added @60. in fact promash recons its 14.56 IBUs

Where do you get EKG at 14%aa?
the posts above talk of using ~6g of POR. thats usually around 14%AA. I didnt think they wwere talking about using 6g of EKG earlier in the boil. if thats the case then yeah it would do sweet FA.

edit:

I took it from
Yea it would be 5g of PoR in a single 60min addition (along with the EKG of course).

the posts above talk of using ~6g of POR. thats usually around 14%AA. I didnt think they wwere talking about using 6g of EKG earlier in the boil. if thats the case then yeah it would do sweet FA.

edit:

I took it from

You're not thinking of super pride? PoR is usually around 8-10.

I think hatchy's original point was just to use the 45g and make a very slightly less bitter beer.

You're not thinking of super pride? PoR is usually around 8-10.

I think hatchy's original point was just to use the 45g and make a very slightly less bitter beer.
nah i was thining of POR. the POR i have is 11%. i was probably more thinking of magnum which i suggested using instead.

ok understand where hatchy is coming from, its just not what i focused on.

all good. agree that you either:
- decrease the hops to the amount you have
- increase boil length (ie 90min boil)
- sub some higher %AA hops into the boil early on (like POR if you want, or Syrian (styrian & EKG love each other) but a neutral hop like magnum would be
better)
- buy some more hops.

there is a recipe i was thining of doing that requires 250g of EKG @ 60min, then more later on. F*ck that. some magnum of styrian is going in to make up the IBU. now yes it will have an impact on EKG flavour intensity, but not noticably so IMO/

The BCS Oatmeal Stout recipe has only a single 60 minute addition of EKG to 36.1 IBU.

If you want to brew as per the recipe, you should just make your bittering hops add up to 36 IBU. I would start with using all the EKG, and depending on the AA% of your hops (BCS is using 5%) that may or may not be enough. Make up the rest with POR (or Southern Cross).

If you want something a bit more hop flavour, put in say 20g of EKG at 20 minutes, the rest at 60 and add POR to hit 36IBU.

Back