Please Explain The Physics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadders

Reaction score
I was just playing around with pressure conversions and I noticed something I never noticed before. Atmospheric pressure is higher than typical serving pressure.

1 atm = 101Kpa according to beersmith. So what I don't get is why when you have a serving pressure of 50kpa does the beer come out at all? You got 50kpa pressure pushing it out and 100kpa pushing it back up the tap. Net pressure = -50kpa so the beer should be pushed backwards into the keg.

There's something blindingly obvious I'm missing here.

Your 50kPa serving pressure is 50kPa above atmospheric pressure. In absolute terms it is 150kPa.

Cheers SJ

Your keg was already at atmospheric pressure before you sealed it. You then upped that pressure by 50 Kpa.

pretty much, thats howI understand it..

0 atm would be a vacuum I believe...

pretty much, thats howI understand it..

0 atm would be a vacuum I believe...

That's a relief. For a minute there I thought I'd broken the laws of physics and was about to cause the total annihilation of the universe. Worth it for a decent beer though.

Yes I just checked it out myself to make sure the other comments are correct. Spot on lads.

mathEquation.jpg

Back