Plate filter - help sourcing filters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpal

Reaction score
I have been given a plate filter and I'm having trouble sourcing the correct filter paper to go in it. It's a quality stainless German made filter, Sartorius brand and was used by a winemaker for filtering wine from a corny keg. It has a paper filter about 88mm diameter, not sure of the micron rating, but its not thin paper more like soft padded type of filter paper maybe 1mm thick or less. My searching has not turned up any results, and I'd like to get this thing back in service. Has anyone seen one of these or used one?
Cheers IMG_0512.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 13
You could naturally enough Google up Sartorius and see who is their agent in Oz,
I have a filter that isn't too different and get my papers from IMCD Swift and Co, ( I think they might have had a name change) but their phone number was 1300655328
You might get a bit of a surprise at the price and you will probably have to buy a couple of hundred at a time unless they are an off the shelf size, resist the temptation to buy the finest one they sell - makes for very slow filtering.
M

Thanks for the advice Mark, I'll give them a bell. Any suggestion for aperture size, 2um perhaps? Its a well built bit of gear and would be worth getting back on the road, I'll also consult my neighbour who's a winemaker at one of the wineries out here. Cheers

Why not give either Keith at Potters or Shawn at Foghorn a call. Both have and use plate and frame filters and there is a good chance they will be using the same supplier for their pads. They might make a suggestion as to the best grade.
I have 3 grades and use them for different jobs, the finest (Z10 from memory) is sterile but woefully slow, I find Z5 gives a very bright beer I usually use it preloaded with Polyclar 70/30 to make pilsners sparkle and eliminate any chance of chill haze.
Mark

You can get 70/30 from Brewman and here is a bit of info View attachment Polyclar Plus 730 Single-use.pdf

PS
If you ever decide you don't want that filter, I would be very interested in it
Mark

Back