Plastic Hlt ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahy268

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I put down my first all grain last weekend. Bubbling away nicely in my fridge.
Couple of things that I've learnt.
1. My 15lt stockpot just isn't big enough to boil water.
2. I badly need a pump.
3. I need thread to attach my manifold to my Lauter Tun. (If it had come apart during use and not just during cleaning we would have had a much worse situation).

Anyway so first one first.
Has anyone ever used one of those big white plastic food grade buckets for a HLT? I can get them for nothing you see.
I also think I should be able to get an immersion heater for not a lot if not for free. I already have a temperature controller so I would have an exact temperature..

Which brings us to the pump. Looks like I should have that one solved. I've been offered some direct from china for $10 + freight. 8 Lt per minute food grade withstand temperature and so forth.

3rd one is obvious. I'll just have to fix it.

Warwick

Has anyone ever used one of those big white plastic food grade buckets for a HLT? I can get them for nothing you see.
I also think I should be able to get an immersion heater for not a lot if not for free.
Lots of homebrewers in the UK do, they also use elements ripped out of kitchen-kettles to heat them, both are cheap, easy - and maybe not so safe - options.
It's not something I'd be comfortable with, but many people seem to use them without much issue.

White bucket and kettle element - cheap, easy, hasn't killed me yet, but not generally referred to as a Bucket'O'Death for no reason.

White bucket and commercial over the side element - perfect solution and you get the element to use in your boil kettle too.

I'm tempted on the kettle element.
Just replaced my kettle. :D
So it would be rather free and free is something that keeps the wife happy.
So in turn what keeps the wife happy allows me to continue brewing. B)

I have used a 30L plastic fermenter as a boiler on and off for years. Don't over complicate things when you are first setting up.

Lots of homebrewers in the UK do, they also use elements ripped out of kitchen-kettles to heat them, both are cheap, easy - and maybe not so safe - options.
It's not something I'd be comfortable with, but many people seem to use them without much issue.

Bucket o death is definitely the way to go for a HLT. The Poms have been using Bru-heat and Electrim boilers for about the last 40 years for home brewing and they are just a more sophisticated version with an urn type dial and thermostat. I used mine in a bedsit in Cardiff surrounded by clouds of steam and condensation and lived to tell the tale :p

kettlejug2.gif

PLastic is just fine , have been using the same one for 14years now , just on old 30L fermenter bucket with one of these attached,its a 2400W element bought from an electrical wholesaler.

Google "cd's old electric wort boiler "
Follow his leads,he has updated since i looked last.
Everything you want know is there..
PJ
I have Electric Boiler with 2 Kettle Elements....36 Lt. And Electric Fowlers Vacola Plastic Boiler...25 Lt.

I have a 30l fermenter and old kettle element it has only been used 3 times but seems to work so far. I set my "mash in" temp on the fridge mate and then begin using the blender to crush my grain the kettle switches off when i hit my temp of about 74 depending on my batch size and i'm ready to BIAB. After the one hour mash I remove the fridge mate from the system and plug straight into the 240V and we get boiling.

Cheers Stu

Removed 1 x Jug element tonight.
Now just need to get me a hold of the big white bucket.
Should pose no problem..

Where did you source the $10 pump? Is it that kinda beige plastic one? Best I've found them for is $30 + p&h.

I have an offer to buy as many as I want from China.
$10-$12 + freight of course no power supply.
Yeah little beige to white ones.

Latest posts

Back