Perth Gathering - January

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8th of Jan hey Hm my Dads 70th birthday wine and curry night cant quite get out of that, have a great time lads hope to catch up a future brew day Cheers Jethro :rolleyes: :(

It's not looking good for me I'm afraid. Looks like I might have to sit this one out.

I hope you all have a fantastic time without me *sob*

it is going to be tricky to find out the temp of the boiler in its current setup

.... my guess is 101deg. depending on OG :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jokes asside, If you can sort out a 1/2" nipple bulkhead fitting in your boiler I can bring along one of mine for the day & we can just screw it in.....
I use a 1/2" nipple with 1 male & 1 female end. Put the male thread thrugh my boiler clamping with a nut on the inside. This leaves the female thread on the outside ready for the temp gauge to be screwed straight in. can be pluged easily if you want to remove gauge too....
I don't use a temp gauge on my boiler. but I want to get one....

BTW

Look out......"Trash Mash Al" is coming... He heard you had a new CFWC and is bringing his tape measure!!!

Asher for now

Woops I should have said new HLT :p

The CFWC seems to work, the fittings on the ends are just the black irrigarion jobs with high temp silicon ect to seal the relevant bits (cheapo!), don't worry there is no silicon where the beer flows :)

Going to try and make a thermowell and put one of the PC temp probes in and see if I can also commission the wireless monitoring part of the system also .... it may look dodgey but I should be able to watch the temp on the laptop!

Well I am thinking of trying for a Munich Dunkel for the brew. Bear in mind I have never brewed one and don't have a proven recipe, in any event it will be a darkish lager.

Any ideas for refining this recipe?

Code:
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines

-------------------------------

13-A European Dark Lager, Munich Dunkel

Min OG: 1.046  Max OG: 1.058

Min IBU:  20  Max IBU:  28

Min Clr:  24  Max Clr:  55 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics

----------------

Batch Size (L):     23.00  Wort Size (L):   23.00

Total Grain (kg):     4.95

Anticipated OG:     1.051  Plato:       12.60

Anticipated EBC:     27.4

Anticipated IBU:     23.7

Brewhouse Efficiency:    75 %

Wort Boil Time:       60  Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%   Amount   Name             Origin    Potential EBC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

86.9   4.30 kg. Hoepfner Munich Malt     Germany    317.42   18

6.1   0.30 kg. Weyermann Caraamber      Germany    309.07   70

1.0   0.05 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt      Australia   267.30  750

2.0   0.10 kg. Hoepfner Melanoidin      Germany    309.07   40

4.0   0.20 kg. Hoepfner Caramel Malt Pils  Germany    300.71   3

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount   Name               Form  Alpha IBU Boil Time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

26.00 g.   Perle               Whole  8.25 23.7 60 min.

Yeast

-----

WYeast 2308 Munich Lager

Will aim to mash in closer to 12pm I think in the interest in getting it finished at a reasonable hour :) see you there

JasonY said:
in the interest in getting it finished at a reasonable hour :)
Ha Ha Ha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck Jason

Batz :ph34r:

;) :lol: :lol:
just dont run out of gas as i did on my last brew.this had me scampering to all the neighbours looking for a gas bottle.no luck and the wife had the car.
was a very lowly boil with just the immersion to rely on.
have a good brew day jasony. ;)

cheers
big d

Thanks to Jason for another successful Perth brew day yesterday. Some good beers, lots of beer talk, a taste-off between three different oatmeal stouts, and nothing in the brewery blew up. Mind you those chilli sausages were a bit on the warm side.

Those who didnt make it missed the instrumented HLT wirelessly broadcasting its temperature every 3 s to all computers in the suburb and a good example of how to make cheap cfc fittings.

Its now 8:00 Sunday morning.... It wont be long now till that chilli sausage comes to revisit! :eek:

Good brew day Jason.

Plenty of good beers.
- Got to try two very different interpretations of a belgian wit from Goat & Vlad
- Some good lagers from Jason & trash mash Al
- 3 nice Oatmeal stouts. All slightly different... would be hard to judge a winner between them...

Asher for now

Guest Lurker said:
Those who didnt make it missed the instrumented HLT wirelessly broadcasting its temperature every 3 s to all computers in the suburb
Sounds like a great day.
And the wireless HLT temp gauge sounds interesting. Any more details ?

Beers,
Doc

Ditto, nice one Jason.
Looks like I left at the right time, before the chilli snags, would have gone well with the wasabi coated peas.

Thanks for coming around all, hopefully the beer will turn out :) Sitting comfortably in the freezer atm, fermentation not quite going yet! All the beers tasted were excellent and my diacetyle ridden bitter shall be recieving a stint out of the fridge to see if clears itself up (I can save some for you before I try and fix it Goat :))

I will think twice before getting those chilli snaggas again :eek: tasty but bloody hot!

Doc, the wireless part was using the ozitronics temp sensors that Andrew uses here. These are connected via a fly lead to a spare PC out of the way which has a wireless network cark. After that I connect to that PC using the laptop and watch everything from there .... I have written a crappy app in vb.net which you can see bleow (lost the data for yesterday :()

Next stage is to connect the relay out board and integrate it into the program so I can control the HLT temp etc from the PC ... tidy up the app and anyone can have it if they are interested (wil require .NEt so W2k or XP ....)

brew.JPG

Thanks Jason - it was another great day !

I have to get one of those temp sensors - that was great. Its even worth considering conversion to an electric HLT so I can use the relay board... mmmm remote controlled HLT.........

Loved the Munich Helles too.... and the cloves in the Wit - nice work Vlad !

Someone has left a pair of glarefoil sunglasses at my place? Any takers?

Was a great day Jase, :D
Always good to get together in drink great craftbrewed beer and put some of the names to faces.

I will have to get on with it and sort day out at Als Brewhaus and bar.
Cheers.

My sincerest apologies gentlemen, I was unavoidably detained out in the bush! I had been at my girlfriends place down south and she didn't want to head back to go to a brew day :huh: . Fancy that... I was looking forward to it as well as it is about my only chance to get to a brew day till I'm back in Perth.

Once again, my deepest apologies, I can see that a good day was had by all anyway.

Chatty

Sounds like fun. Wish I'd been there too.

Well I kegged the brew today. There was enoug left over for me to force carbonate a PET bottle for a sample! Looking to be a good beer, nice deep brown with a reddish hue, malty aroma. Flavour is nice and malty with a nice chocolate tone, medium body and a noce clean finish.

Now I will have to save half of the keg to bring to the next gathering :p could be risky! Will try and post a PET or two to Hoops to sample.

Looking forward to the next one.

JasonY said:
Well I kegged the brew today. There was enoug left over for me to force carbonate a PET bottle for a sample! Looking to be a good beer, nice deep brown with a reddish hue, malty aroma. Flavour is nice and malty with a nice chocolate tone, medium body and a noce clean finish.

Now I will have to save half of the keg to bring to the next gathering :p could be risky! Will try and post a PET or two to Hoops to sample.

Looking forward to the next one.
[post="43380"][/post]​
So Jason still have any of that beer left for me to try?????

Hoops

Latest posts

Back