perlick 650ss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your serving pressure at lethal?
I found mine improved going from 9psi to 11psi

Its about 0.8-0.9bar (12-13 PSI).

I've finally upgraded my gas system, my pluto is pouring the keg its on perfectly (I have andale pluto it always pours a perfect beer!), shame that kegs almost gone!... the other two kegs I admittedly overcarbed by upping pressure to 3 bar for 24 hours not realising they were not completely full kegs and also has a small residual carb level, so was getting froth soup. Degassed, let sit overnight and degased a number of times. Then finished my gas upgrade. Hooked it all up to 0.9bar and its been like that for a week I thought I reduced the carb back down but last night got a fair bit of foam straight out of the both taps at any flow setting.

The strange thing was the beer and cider didn't taste too carbed, if anything on the flat side and there was not a huge rush of CO2 out of solution in the glass, more like steady very fine tiny bubbles. So stumped as to what would cause such foaming during the pour, no gas in the lines as I was pouring frequently small cups to test it all. Any ideas???

I've just set both kegs to 0.9bar and will leave them for another week to see if perhaps that will settle everything down. Both kegs are quite full so really hoping I can rectify my earlier mistake...

Worst case i have a 4th keg of hefe carbing at 0.9bar serving pressure so next week can hook that up and see.

FYI - I got the 0.9bar serving pressure from the CO2 volumes lookup table based on my fridge temperature and the recommended ideal regulator set pressure. From memory aiming for 2.4 or 2.6 volumes which was a good mid scale to cover a lot of beer styles...

I'm thinking of upgrading my taps. The Indian taps that came with the font are ok, but I've had my eye on Perlicks for a while.

Do these just screw onto a regular font tower using the normal faucet spanner?

taps.jpg

2x 650ss's ordered last night, I should lay off the drink buying.

I received my 4 taps from the states in less than two weeks. Unfortunately one of the taps is chipped. Currently in talks about replacement. I'm hoping it runs smoothly.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
..lots of things...
Sounds like your serving pressure is all good then. I find if you overcarb a beer, you need to make sure its properly degassed and then re-set to serving pressure. The CO2 will hold quite well in the solution in the keg, so you need to make sure you're not just clearing out the headspace.

I find due to the bend radius coupled with the warmer temps at the shank (i have a chilled collar, but its still a difference) causes the very start of your pour to gas up a bit. I wouldnt be surprised if due to the way the tap seals, that some outside O2 can draw up the line until its met by enough pressure to stop it.
As a result of this, I'd try the method I use for first pour. Turn your tap on with the flow control on minimum. You should hear a little rasp of gas escaping, then slowly flick the FC up.

It's a finnicky system, but rewarding when its right :D

leighaus said:
Sounds like your serving pressure is all good then. I find if you overcarb a beer, you need to make sure its properly degassed and then re-set to serving pressure. The CO2 will hold quite well in the solution in the keg, so you need to make sure you're not just clearing out the headspace.

I find due to the bend radius coupled with the warmer temps at the shank (i have a chilled collar, but its still a difference) causes the very start of your pour to gas up a bit. I wouldnt be surprised if due to the way the tap seals, that some outside O2 can draw up the line until its met by enough pressure to stop it.
As a result of this, I'd try the method I use for first pour. Turn your tap on with the flow control on minimum. You should hear a little rasp of gas escaping, then slowly flick the FC up.

It's a finnicky system, but rewarding when its right :D
I'll have a beer tonight to see and if still over carbed I might just open the relief and leave open on the two over gassed kegs for a couple of days then reset at serving pressure. Sounds like the other method of venting headspace, letting co2 come out of solution and pressurise headspace then venting the headspace again is a long drawn out process!

as long as your headspace is a good litre, you could vent, shake it off, wait 10, repeat. It ill speed up the process.

Just be mindful of letting too much O2 touch your beer and kill it if you plan on leaving relief valves open..

shaking your beer will keep the pressure on your keg.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I'll have a beer tonight to see and if still over carbed I might just open the relief and leave open on the two over gassed kegs for a couple of days then reset at serving pressure. Sounds like the other method of venting headspace, letting co2 come out of solution and pressurise headspace then venting the headspace again is a long drawn out process!
I did this, hard to prove, but I think it lead to oxidized nasty beer. Much better to release the head pressure multiple times, and shake it if necessary

Its the equivalent of opening a bottle, leaving it with the lid off for a few days, and then recarbing the beer. I don't think I'd want to drink a beer that had been through that process ;)

I ended up tipping the two kegs which I opened the pressure release for an extended period.

Thanks guys, I most definitely don't wanna lose the two kegs they are lovely beers! Will try shaking to get the co2 out, goodbye 1 month lagering time LOL

Latest posts

Back