Passionfruit Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillscottish

Uh, Detective Parson, madam.
Reaction score
I currently have a surplus of Passion fruit and was wondering if anyone had used them in a wit. I know there are a few commercial ones available. Just wasn't sure about the amount of fruit to use as the ones I have are quite strong flavoured.

Standard wit recipe, half and half pale and wheat, 15ibu Hallertauer

1kg into secondary?

Any suggestions?

Campbell

No suggestions from me, but keen to hear about the outcome. Make sure you keep us updated with your results. Maybe post in the recipe DB if it turns out nice.

mmmmmm passionfruit lager would be nice... how you going to treat the passionfruit? Alot of work there for you.

mmmmmm passionfruit lager would be nice... how you going to treat the passionfruit? Alot of work there for you.

Throw them in whole? :lol:

Nah, just cut them open scoop the innards out and dump it in. The one I've got is a Golden passionfruit and the fruit is quite large so I shouldn't need too many.

Campbell

Never done this but I would have thought the go is to ferment out the beer and then ferment out the fruit in secondary.... No idea how much to add, but sounds delicious!

Dunno about secondary but I wouldn't put it at the start of primary. Maybe 2/3 of the way in?

I will second the idea of it sounding quite nice, though.

It'd be interesting to taste a passion fruit beer with actual fruit - vs beers that have passionfruit character from NS (and maybe galaxy) hopping.

I made an American wheat with lots of NS hops that had a ton of passionfruit character - so I am dead certain the character of a wheat beer will mix well with the character of the fruit.

Let us know how it goes - it sounds great.

TB

PS - maybe instead of adding passionfruit to teh fermentation (primary or secondary) you could make a really nice syrp out of teh fruit, then add it to the final beer post fermentation, even as a priming syrup kind of like Les did. That would give you a lot of control over the amount of fruit character - a couple of glasses of the base beer, an eyedropper and a few people tasting to help you get the mix just right.... maybe?

Thanks for the input guys (and gals).

The next question is which yeast to use. K97 for a fairly bland base or WB06 for some banana with the passionfruit.
The picture of the Wailua Wheat shows a fairly clear beer and the description of Mountain Sun's one is of a light haze so I'm leaning towards an American Wheat type recipe rather than a Weizen.
Having said all that I just discovered that my son gave away a carrier bag full of the fruit that was just gathered so I'll have to wait for a few more to ripen.

Campbell

I'd dump the plup in at secondary, 1 kg sounds ok and I'd go with K-97 at around 20 C (might squeeze a banana ester or two out- expect a slightly hazy beer though).

I've found that WB06 fermented around 18C doesn't give a heap of banana, but has a slight spice that seems to work nicely in fruit beers.
It's my yeast of choice for fruit wheats.

A wit, wheat or belgian golden would be my suggestions. I did consider passionfruit as a fruit for my lambic, but I might save that for next time...

PS - maybe instead of adding passionfruit to teh fermentation (primary or secondary) you could make a really nice syrp out of teh fruit, then add it to the final beer post fermentation, even as a priming syrup kind of like Les did. That would give you a lot of control over the amount of fruit character - a couple of glasses of the base beer, an eyedropper and a few people tasting to help you get the mix just right.... maybe?
This would be on the money for me. Maybe make a berliner weiss then add a nice sweet/sour passionfruit syrup at serving.

Hey Campbell,
I'd be using galaxy hops mate, that is passionfruit to the max.

cheers

Browndog

In my recent rasberry wheat, I added 1kg rasberries to 15L of weizen, and it tasted quite nice, not too overpowering, not too acidic.

What size batch are you planning for your 1kg addition?

I just kegged a passionfruit beer with this thread being the inspiration, TA.

I had a golden ale just a basic recipe using Amarillo as the main flavour hop and fermented with Cal common yeast added about 1kg of fruit to primary at 1020 and in a week it was down to 1012. Racked for a few days and kegged tastes great. You can tell the fruit has been added but not to tart, probably a nice summer beer (wont last that long). I will put another kg of fruit into freezer for summer.

Shawn :icon_cheers:

I first thought that galaxy or NS would be better than hallertau or tettang. but then i though the passionfruit might have too hard a time competeing with the hops. So I recon Hallertau or tettang are the go with passionfruit in the secondary or after fermentation is mostly finished.

I'd be interested to hear whether you dump the fruit pulp in whole or whether you blended it all up to get a bit more passionfruit bite from the seeds. I suspect that a half and half approach would work well.

Sounds great. Actually I think I just found a use for my Cal Common yeast in the future.

I first thought that galaxy or NS would be better than hallertau or tettang. but then i though the passionfruit might have too hard a time competeing with the hops. So I recon Hallertau or tettang are the go with passionfruit in the secondary or after fermentation is mostly finished.

I'd be interested to hear whether you dump the fruit pulp in whole or whether you blended it all up to get a bit more passionfruit bite from the seeds. I suspect that a half and half approach would work well.

Sounds great. Actually I think I just found a use for my Cal Common yeast in the future.

Just dumped the lot in. Maybe use less if pulping seeds. Mine tastes about right to me. Used about 1 kg in 19L. Half and half should use less fruit not an issue for me it is going nuts on the back fence.

Im keen to try some of this passionfruit ale Shawn! Youd better bring some in a lil bottle for me to taste... lol! Does the missus like it?

I think you'll get good Passionfruit aroma from some other hops too like Nelsons Sauvign and Galaxy, got heps o them from Ross.... but the actual fruit would be lovely in a Whitbier too as per posts above...nothing you dont already know...

Good time for berries too I guess but has anyone tried Apricots? Twas thinking about it in a Belgian Whit. Nectar or fruit?
Moon

Im keen to try some of this passionfruit ale Shawn! Youd better bring some in a lil bottle for me to taste... lol! Does the missus like it?

I think you'll get good Passionfruit aroma from some other hops too like Nelsons Sauvign and Galaxy, got heps o them from Ross.... but the actual fruit would be lovely in a Whitbier too as per posts above...nothing you dont already know...

Good time for berries too I guess but has anyone tried Apricots? Twas thinking about it in a Belgian Whit. Nectar or fruit?
Moon

If you ever do make the apricot wit send me a bottle please, I really want to make a risotto using a apricot beer! LOL!

I think passionfruit would also go well in a lager!

Latest posts

Back