Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good idea but the idea is to make it cheap so you get 2 8L and a 5L (a full brew).

^^ everyone could bring one of those......

or everyone could bring two of these..

P1020306sml.jpg

Sissy !!!!

Everyone should bring one of these :party:

Xmas_beer_trolley_2.JPG

Thirsty

^^^ now ya talking thirsty, i like your styles of partys.

thirsty boy you've got room for another 2 kegs why don't you use it put another tap at the back and use it as a center piece

thirsty boy you've got room for another 2 kegs why don't you use it put another tap at the back and use it as a center piece

I've only GOT three kegs... besides, the spare space was filled with a few (5) bags of ice, 30 or so grolsch bottles of a Hefe I brewed and a slab or 2 of various commercial stuff.

Mind you, this was all carted away with me over last X-mas/new year and did for my x mas eve party, new years eve and several other "occasions" over the period. Two weeks of road trip that took me from Melb to Sydney to Newcastle to Foster to Port Mc and back again. Liver very sore at end of trip.

It cost me nearly as much in ice to keep it all cold as it would have to by the same volume of Megaswill pre-chilled at each stop... frigging $3.80 per bag of ice... But it sure made for a hell of a talking point when I wheeled that puppy into the NYE party I went to in Newcastle !!!

just bought 2 8L pressure sprayers from bunnings $12 each and will post some of my photos from making as i can't find any decent ones so people can have a better view of making them

Come on rahne, I am waiting for those photos. My wife has given the go ahead for this project but being a bit of a tool tard I need all the help I can get and a step by step photo guide would be greatly appreciated :super: .

Cheers
Andrew

I had a crack at making a party keg his weekend using a high quality Bunnings $7.99 5lt sprayer.
It wasn't hard to transform into a party keg and it had it's first test on Saturday night. I transfered 6 lt of Quarter session mild from a 19lt keg and off I went. Everyone was impressed with my engineering abilty :lol: and the pour went very well, 6 litres of English mild was demolished on the night.
The gas dispenser I had was a bit on the leaky side so I will be getting a trigger model.

Here are a few pics of the unit in pieces, I removed the pump section and made a disc to fill the hole out of perspex and another one out of a bucket lid to give a tight seal, that along with the original O ring made it leak proof. I cut the original plastic dip tube off and used the Stainless Steel sprayer arm for the dip tube.

party_keg_004.jpgparty_keg_003.jpg
party_keg_002.jpgparty_keg_001.jpg

I had a thought while building this. These would make perfect real ale casks (9lt) and connected up to a Beer Engine and cask breather would be a lot more practical than a big S/S keg with a faster turnaround as well. I think it would be good to have a couple of different ales kegged and ready to go, cheaper anyway.

Cheers
Andrew

Gave my first attempt at a pressure sprayer party keg a run yesterday. Not too bad! Still has a slight plastic taste, but a few days of napisaning should fix that. Also got ahold of an old Esky that I've drilled for a tap. Even the soda stream bottle fits inside (just)! Will be giving it a good old flogging at the Qld Xmas in July swap next weekend.

Only issue I have is trying to force carb it as I don't currently have a keg setup. Will just have to wing it I guess! Oh well, it'll be beer either way. Might just not be as fizzy as I'd like, but I guess with the amount that will be consumed on the night, I don't think I'll care a whole heap...

Cheers

Nick

Here are some pics of the party keg I made out of a garden sprayer.
I spent the extra money and put cornelius posts on it so I can transfer beer easily from my other kegs.

Used it twice now and it works great. There is a slow leak coming from the lid so I may need to try a bit of keg lube next time to get a better seal. The slow leak causes the beer to go a bit flat after a while and it is using about three 8g bulbs to empty.

Other than that its all good.

Thanks to the people that came up with this idea

Kabooby :)

Party_keg_001.jpg

Kabooby, Looks good! :)
Did you have to re-tap the thread for the ball-lock posts, or did they screw right on?
Tim

Kabooby, Looks good! :)
Did you have to re-tap the thread for the ball-lock posts, or did they screw right on?
Tim

Phrak,

I used male cornelius fittings with some 1/2 inch bsp lock nuts and adaptors. I then used some rubber washers to make sure I get a good seal. For the beer post I used a 1/2 inch end cap, drilled a hole and inserted the aluminium sprayer as the dip tube. I connected this with a metal epoxy. This has since cracked so I may need to look for a gromet of some sort.

Hope this helps

Here are some pics of my party set up.

PH_003.jpg

It is a 14L port-a-keg. I use the top out of an old soda stream machine to charge the keg. The older type cylinders are good cause I refill them myself. I also do the same with the corny's. Over the long weekend (29th Sep to 1st Oct) I did rum & coke in the 14L & a pale ale in a corny. Rum & coke was done with about 2L of home made rum which I also make :ph34r: & water & soda stream cola flavour. Worked a treat :D

PH_004.jpg

Last few times I've used it I put it in this blue drum with ice & seems easy enough to move around with a couple of mates, but have future plans to rig up this little trolley & make the lid into a drip tray :rolleyes:

PH_001.jpg

if anyone is looking at getting into party kegs, i saw kmart had a special on their soda stream kit you get 2 x soda stream bottles full for $49.95 and other bits and pieces.
thought it was an absolute bargain too bad i've already got 3 x bottes.

OK guys. Update on the party kegs made from the 'garden sprayers'.

These have worked out brilliantly for me.

They are excellent for British-style ales and APAs. The carbonation level is perfect for these styles. I still bottle some of each batch, but the kegs take the bulk. Halleluja!!

I've been using Sodastream gas bottles to add C02 to maintain serving pressure. This works very well. One bottle serves at least 30L (still going.)

There are a few 'buts'...

I tried it with a Weissbier/Hefeweizen...forget it. Waaaaay too flat IMHO. Bottling is a pain im Arsch, but it gets the results with this beer.

I haven't tried these with a Pilsener/lager. I suspect the carbonation might be a little low, but suck it and see, as they say.

I have both five and nine litre versions. The five is arguably more sensible in the long run, as you need less C02 to push out the beer as the level drops. (I am open to anybody faulting my logic here, but that's how it seems to me.)

Anyway, for anybody who wants a Claytons kegging system that costs bugger all and does the business, this really works, given the few caveats above.

Hey Pete,

I know with mine (6L sprayer from Bunnings) if I get it carbed up, and pouring well, it doesn't loose pressure if not used. That being said, the Schrader valve I use for gas in does leak if left connected, but all it needs is a quick squirt once in a while to up the dispensing pressure, and it's all good.

Cheers

How long does your sprayer(s) hold carbonation before the beer goes flat Geoffi?

TP :beer:

Don't know. I've never had one last long enough to go flat. :icon_drunk:

Seriously, though, it seems to hold its pressure very well. At least a week or so, and if you can't polish it off in that time, you ain't f@#%$ng trying!!

Hey Pete,

I know with mine (6L sprayer from Bunnings) if I get it carbed up, and pouring well, it doesn't loose pressure if not used. That being said, the Schrader valve I use for gas in does leak if left connected, but all it needs is a quick squirt once in a while to up the dispensing pressure, and it's all good.

Cheers

Ditto to all of the above. Never leave the valve connected, but apart from that it works a beaut.

I think I need new seals for mine. Mine looses pressure after 10 mins, by the end of the night the beer is on the way to flat :(

Must get another beer post to finish the transfer lines so I can do closed transfers. I think this would help heaps

Latest posts

Back