Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the tap maybe you could mount a little container there on the inside that you can fill with ice, or better yet a block of ice made in a mould of the same shape that completely surrounds the tap shank.

I'm thinking that maybe one of those gel packs that doesn't freeze solid would be the way to go, though i've been having trouble finding any. None at Bunnings, Woolies or K mart- next stop the chemist for a heat/cold pack used for injuries, hopefully.
Either way, it's not a major drama as the pour is still quite adequate, but it would be nice to have a party keg dispenser that looks good & pours absolutely perfectly every time, including the first beer poured after not being used for 20 mins or so. I imagine most taps used in a warmish environment would do the same... A solar powered flooded font would no doubt be an interesting but completely excessive addition!

The restrictor tap works well- i hadn't used one before this. Once the beer & ice bricks are all loaded, i think the beer actually gets quite a bit colder than fridge temp, as the restrictor can gradually be opened from 3/4 to all the way open as the beer cools down even further.

Finally got around to making up a party setup, just in time for the Xmas Swap this weekend...

1._Blank_Barrel.jpg
Old chemical drums 'sourced' from kerbside collection. Found 3 this size and one about 66% bigger.... Wood with a dense cardboard outside...

2._PVC_Pipe.jpg
Piece of scrap PVC from work, bought an end cap and a base piece. 65mm diameter.

3._Paint.jpg
Black enamel spray paint. Went with a basic gloss black first, finished with this. Will likely put a clear coat on at some point as well.

4._Durabit.jpg
Waterproofing for the inside. I also cut a disc of 12mm MDF and glued into the base.

5._Finished_Product.jpg
And here she is! Holds a 19L corny, gas bottle (2kg) and reg. Inside has camping mat insulation around the edge. Font has camping mat insulation all the way to the top. Approx 3m of beer line to the tap.

6._Font_and_Top.jpg
Closeup of the font and tap. Notice the supremely straight nozzle on the $10 Chinese tap :rolleyes:

Anyway, all up cost around $60 including the tap. First run this weekend at the case swap. Still looking for a suitable drip tray option, but will likely settle for either a small circle of 'beer mat', or a shallow tray of some sort...

Cheers!

Nice work, mate! Looking forward to putting it to the test on Saturday.

Sheesh man that looks schmick as! Just needs a bar-mat.

Nice work NickB.

Just curious though..... how did you attach the PVC pipe to the top?
Are you going to put it on castors to move it around any easier?
How long do you expect the keg to remain cold, assuming you are using ice?

Cheers

Hi AF - basically the font is attached from beneath the lid. Had a search around Bunnings for some plumbing bits. There is a flanger adaptor, then onto the base of the unit, which is glued onto the font... Will try to take a photo tonight...

As for the castors, no plans yet. Will be attaching some handles for carrying around when empty.

Did a test with nothing but a keg straight out of the kegerator, and it was still cold 12 hours later. With ice I'd say you'd get a good day out of it. May even look at a gel pack or similar for inside the top of the font to keep the tap cool...

Cheers

Hi AF - basically the font is attached from beneath the lid. Had a search around Bunnings for some plumbing bits. There is a flanger adaptor, then onto the base of the unit, which is glued onto the font... Will try to take a photo tonight...

As for the castors, no plans yet. Will be attaching some handles for carrying around when empty.

Did a test with nothing but a keg straight out of the kegerator, and it was still cold 12 hours later. With ice I'd say you'd get a good day out of it. May even look at a gel pack or similar for inside the top of the font to keep the tap cool...

Cheers

That really does look good mate. You could bung one of those pot-plant caster whatsits under it I guess if you go that way. Haven't got a spare barrel have you?

Edit: I've still got some of those soft gel packs Frogman was giving away if you want them.

Finally got around to making up a party setup, just in time for the Xmas Swap this weekend...

View attachment 50531
Old chemical drums 'sourced' from kerbside collection. Found 3 this size and one about 66% bigger.... Wood with a dense cardboard outside...

View attachment 50532
Piece of scrap PVC from work, bought an end cap and a base piece. 65mm diameter.

View attachment 50533
Black enamel spray paint. Went with a basic gloss black first, finished with this. Will likely put a clear coat on at some point as well.

View attachment 50534
Waterproofing for the inside. I also cut a disc of 12mm MDF and glued into the base.

View attachment 50535
And here she is! Holds a 19L corny, gas bottle (2kg) and reg. Inside has camping mat insulation around the edge. Font has camping mat insulation all the way to the top. Approx 3m of beer line to the tap.

View attachment 50536
Closeup of the font and tap. Notice the supremely straight nozzle on the $10 Chinese tap :rolleyes:

Anyway, all up cost around $60 including the tap. First run this weekend at the case swap. Still looking for a suitable drip tray option, but will likely settle for either a small circle of 'beer mat', or a shallow tray of some sort...

Cheers!

What about a large PVC end cap and a shower drain or waste water drain grate?

Thought about the drain, but the keg and disconnects are almost flush against the underside of the lid. Might just go with a mat or something for now and see what I can come up with...

Cheers!

Back