overflowing yeast activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seehuusen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed up a 1.070 wort and pitched the yeast 46 hours ago.
I decided that I should use 2 sachets of Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast. Let me just say, that's way too much for my 22 litre batch, and I'm now having to take measures to contain it LOL
Gravity has gone from 1.070 to 1.036 in 46 hours.

The bubbler airlock overflowed twice last night, and as a result I decided to change over to a hose into a jar of water/starsan.

The question I've got is, it's still overflowing into the jar, I've been swapping the water out, is there anything else I can do?
I assume the hose (about 1 meter long) will protect me from nasties entering? there's a serious amount of CO2 coming through it, along with krausen.

Any advise on the hose setup would be greatly appreciated.
Both relating to setup and sanitation.
I know this has been used for hundreds of years, but I'd still like to get your take on it :)

Thanks in advance,
Martin

sounds like you have a hold of the situation and just keep changing out the water/sanitizer container when its full, maybe use a bigger jar or jug.

I think you have more worries than the blow off.......a 1070 gravity beer would have required 235billion yeast cells and pitching 2 packets of dry yeast = 400billion. That is over pitching and the wort may under attenuate for various reasons. did you re-hydrate or direct pitch?

any chance of a picture?

yeastOverPitch.jpg

According to the recipe calculations in BrewMate, I should end up around 1.018
But my mash didn't hit the expected 67C so, I think it might attenuate further below that... Even with the over-pitch, opinions?

Definitely lesson learned, and I certainly won't pitch that much yeast in the future LOL
Thanks for confirming the method I'm applying is correct, appreciated! :)

Any other comments are welcome.

Cheers
Martin

Seeing that you direct pitched there is a chance 50% of the yeast didn't make it, therefore you have pitched the correct amount. :)

And it's not really over pitched by more than a fraction, if at all.

From Wyeast:

[SIZE=medium]ORIGINAL GRAVITY PITCH RATE[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] (Million Cells/ml.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]up to 1.060 (15°P) 5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.061-1.076 (15-19°P) 10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.076-1.100 (19-25°P) 15[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]From Danstar:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1g pitched per Litre results in a yeast density of 5-10 Million Cells per ml.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I'd say it's just about right.[/SIZE]

The Lallemand/ Danstar rating is what made me chuck two packets in, 11g x 2 should be right for 22L... But it's VERY active I reckon! LOL
Thanks for the confirmation HBHB :)

Minor update, after about 20 or so intensive hours, it's now under control. I cleaned the hose and jar out a couple of hours ago (sterilized the lot), and I've not had any krausen come through the hose...
Thanks for everyone's output. I'll keep an eye on the attenuation, although I think I'll be OK...
I'll definitely be thinking twice about this yeast strain and head space in the fermenting vat... perhaps go with a slightly bigger one next time around ;)

Latest posts

Back