Oops, I made a big one

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamacup

Reaction score
I’ve been doing partial mash for a few brews now, but tonight I got distracted. I started the mash during the evening wind down. Dinner happened and I had a few minutes so I chucked in the hops. Right into the bag and set it to boil. After dinner I knocked off the heat and put the wee fella to bed. About 2 hours later, O pulled the bag lat it drain. Added the extract of choice and made it up to 22l, all as per usual. Checked the temp, a perfect 18, in goes the Nottingham. I set up my dry hop bag and lastly take a reading 1.068. Offt, looks like this one’ll be in the 8% range.
Wish me luck!

Take another reading, I think there is a good chance you have taken a bad reading. Odds on the extract wasn’t fully mixed in and your beer is really where you would expect it to be.

A long mash won’t make much difference to what you extract, I'm talking longer than 1 hour, by then most of the enzymes have stopped working and anything that will convert has.
Give us a full list of ingredients and it won’t be hard to calculate the OG pretty accurately.
Mark

I think you’re probably right, not that I thought of it till you mentioned it. If so, it’ll settle in and be fine, right?
Full list/plan
1 200g bag of toffee grains (cracked 10-20 EBC)
30g citra hops
20g Columbus hops

Extract
1 tin morgans caramalt
1 tin coopers light malt

Dry hop
30g Chinook - 5 days before bulk prime and bottle.

By doing this all in a bag, I’ve realised I’m only one step away from full BIAB.

Well I'm not in a position to assure you that it will all be fine.
Can tell you that if we assume you got around 150g of extract from your grain, and the 2 X 1.5 kg cans gave you 2.4kg of solids (80% is typical).
From Mass solids = V*SG*oP your OG would be 1.0444 or very close to.
Mark

Nothing like not getting my existential dread and fear of terminal universal injustice cured on a brewing forum. Guess I’ll just keep making beer.
;)

Seriously, 1.044 sounds much more reasonable. We’ll see how it ferments.

Well to get 1.068 out of your ingredients would require you could do a couple of other tricks, like feeding 5,000 people with a couple of fish and some bread rolls, or even turning water into wine... a double degree in Omniscience and Omnipotence would help!
Why I like science, in this case brewing science, it always works.
Mark

Well to get 1.068 out of your ingredients would require you could do a couple of other tricks, like feeding 5,000 people with a couple of fish and some bread rolls, or even turning water into wine... a double degree in Omniscience and Omnipotence would help!
Why I like science, in this case brewing science, it always works.
Mark
Sadly, fish are never safer then when I’m holding a rod, all my yeast goes in beer, my bees don’t make grapes, and I’ve just about finished my psychology path, so I’m done with degrees for a while. Looks like it’s just not mixed well enough.
I’ll take another reading this afternoon to see how things are going.

Back