Oktoberfest In March

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svyturys

Reaction score
A friend of mine and I have decided to have an Oktoberfest in March with the argument being that if it is held at the end of September in the Northern hemisphere then it should be held at the end of March in Australia.

We decided to do an Aussie theme and match food and beer across the states.
For Victoria we are nominating Melbourne coffee as the food and a Kooinda beer as the beer.

South Australia will provide a pie floater and we have no problems with finding a South Australian beer at Dans/first choice.

Little creatures covers the West...and we were informed that the pavlova was invented there.
No probs so far...BUT...we need advice on beer that we can source at Dans etc that covers the other states.

Foodwise we are serving macadamia nuts, peanuts and banana chips for Queensland. Is there a micro beer that we could get down here?

Tasmania is represented by apple strudel. I think we can get moo brew here. Any other suggestions?

Foodwise the problem is NSW. What represents NSW?....Oysters?
Also, what micro beer from NSW?

I know this is a silly request but we take our Aprilfest seriously....well, within limits.

Cheers

Alan

A nice Qld beer to go with the nuts and banana chips would be the Burleigh Hefeweizen made by the Burleigh Brewing Co. I'm not sure whether it's easily bought down south though. It's definitely around in Dans stores in Qld.

I am thinking prawns too ....maybe shark?

if u get stuck or want something unique, then a few cockroaches will do the trick!!

failing that, then a meat pie with potato & pea mash on top!!! YUM!!!

I don't think you can go past the oysters, maybe with some Yamba king prawns chucked in for good measure. Many micro's Sydney and surrounds. I live near Port Mac, the home of the Wicked Elf brews. Oysters would go well with their wheat beer......

More links to other NSW micro's here

http://enews.tourism.nsw.gov.au/link/id/a0...370bd/page.html

A nice Qld beer to go with the nuts and banana chips would be the Burleigh Hefeweizen made by the Burleigh Brewing Co. I'm not sure whether it's easily bought down south though. It's definitely around in Dans stores in Qld.

Sod that, match the bugger with bugs!

+1 on the Burleigh Hefeweizen. Fantastic Drop. Have seen it in Dan Murphys, and Purvis here in Vic, but can't tell where you're located.

Don't want to start a trans-tasman war, but I think you'll be shocked to learn that pavlova was actually invented in New Zealand by a New Zealander, but served here also. There is someone in Perth claiming to have invented it in 1935, but the Kiwis lay claim to creating it first in the 20s and naming it also.

Source: Pavlova Debate - Wikipedia

Not surprising we nicked it given our love for claiming other successful Kiwi icons as our own.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back